Iraq Parades dead US soldiers

by ISP 102 Replies latest social current

• Realist
    Realist

rebel,

To the Americans, the flag represents so much. Children are taught to respect it. As a JW, I read much about young children saluting the flag in the US and I always found this difficult to get my head around.

especially as a ex JW you don't find such a behavior a little worrysome? salute the flag etc.? this too is nothing but brainwashing!

instead of trusting the GB they trust blindly their gov. they have faith in the US institutions and even believe their country is blesseed by god. especially for an outsider it should be obvious that something is WRONG here!

one can like a country (i like mine) but one should not get blind to the apparent problems!

• Angharad
    Angharad

Rebel

Yes agree, and understand that some people will find it offensive. But this is the very reason that Simon originally asked that no one start putting these ribbons & symbols in their theads because people will get offended depending on what side they are on and we would get into "I want to have my symbol up but this person cant have theirs because it offends me".

Wouldnt it be fairer and easier if no one put up any doctored flags, ribbons etc.? This does not mean they can't express their opinion or support the troops when relevant, just that there are not an 'in your face' symbols everywhere as some people have described it.

• rebel
    rebel

Realist & Angharad,

I totally agree with you. I don't feel any emotional attachment to a flag, symbol or anything. But I can understand, if you have been brought up in a country that almost worships such things, that you will feel emotionally attached to 'it', whatever 'it' may be. I don't understand it. I don't claim to know enough about it, but I wouldn't want to offend anyone by altering their national symbol. I am not particularly patriotic/nationalistic or whatever, but I respect the views of those that are.

I can really see the arguments for both sides. Sometimes I read a post here, or a newspaper article, and I think "Hmmm, maybe this is a just war." Then I read something else, and I think "God, no - this is wrong!". I do not know an awful lot about the political issues, but I wouldn't take sides with either parties, pro-war or anti-war, because it wouldn't get us anywhere and I do not have enough knowledge.

Just my thoughts again

xxR

• Shakita
    Shakita

Simon,

I thought they worked together. Learn something new everyday.

http://www.ifrc.org/

Mrs. Shakita

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, the red-crescent is the muslim equivalent of the red-cross

Coincidentally, I'm just watching TV where some general is talking about sending the Red Cross in ... this makes me think the humanitarian planning has not received as much attention or else he'd know not to. Of course, it could just be the firgure of speech he's using talking to western journalists.

• Realist
    Realist

rebel,

in principle i agree with you. the only problem is the followsing: in case of the WT you are dealing with a little group of people with absolutely no influence in world affairs. despite some family members they cannot hurt anyone. this is not the case with the US religion. their leader in contrast to the GB is powerful. powerful enough to launch wars against foreign countries and powerful enough to kill thousands of people. so i think it is the damn obligation for outsiders to try to open he eyes of some americans about what the hell is going on (even if it is quite as futile as telling a JW that the GB are criminals or nutcases)!

• rebel
    rebel

Realist,

Thanks for your reply.

I take on board what you say. It is frustrating when you cannot get people to see what is going on in front of their eyes, as with the WTS. But, as far as this war goes, I have to admit I don't know what is right or wrong. I have my own leanings towards the anti-war crowd, but I do understand where the pro-war group are coming from. Unless I can say, hand on my heart, I know exactly what Bush/Blair/Hussein's intentions are and what motivates them, I have to admit I am as much in the dark as the next man. Until I can read people's minds and know what they plan to do, I don't really know anything.

I hate the thought of war. I find the scenes on TV very disturbing. I hate to think of people getting killed just because they happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I admit - I don't know what the solution is. I know that everyone that posts, pro or against, is sincere and believes what they are saying is right. I am pretty dumb and just don't know.

I will just continue to carry on and read each side's posts.

I wish you well.

xxR

• Shakita
    Shakita

Just for information: Article 13 of the Geneva Convention.... "Prisoners of war must at all times be humanely
    treated. Any unlawful act or omission by the Detaining Power
    causing death or seriously endangering the health of a prisoner of war in its custody is prohibited, and will be regarded as a serious breach of the present Convention. In particular, no prisoner of war may be subjected to physical mutilation or tomedical or scientific experiments of any kind which are not justified by the medical, dental or hospital treatment of the prisoners concerned and carried out in his interest.
    Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity.
    Measures of reprisal against prisoners of war are prohibited." "Prisoners of war are entitled in all circumstances to respect for the persons and their honour. Women shall be treated with all the regard due to their sex and shall
    in all cases benefit by treatment as favourable as that granted to men. Prisoners of war shall retain the full civil capacity which they enjoyed at the time of their capture, The Detaining Power may not restrict the exercise, either within or without its own territory, of the rights such capacity confers except in so far as the captivity requires." Let's hope they from here on respect the "public curiosity" statement. Journalists must not be exempt from this agreement, or they will be used as an escape goat to continue to parade the POW's before media. Mrs. Shakita

• Realist
    Realist

rebel,

you are very right! no one can say for sure what is going on in the mind of the leaders!

but its kind of similar to the GB...can you say for sure that they are lying? that armageddon and paradise is not gonna come?

you can't...after all we might as well live in the matrix.

but we can state probabilities based on past events. and looking at the past makes it painfully obvious that bush just as all the other politicians is full of S***.

i wish he would be the good guy trying to bring freedom, peace, democracy and wealth to all the world.....but this is about as realistic as the JW paradise scenario.

• Trauma_Hound
    Trauma_Hound

It's a friggin peice of cloth. It's funny, down at one of the protests, a guy had a huge flag he was flying, that instead of stars, it had the symbols for a bunch of corperations, a cop came up to him, and asked where he got it, he wanted to get one too. The ironic thing of this, why don't you check to see where your flags are made. Alot of them you were probibly flying, were made in china. LOL

(note: original post also edited)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit