Iraq Parades dead US soldiers

by ISP 102 Replies latest social current

• Realist
    Realist

firstly, how come a peace symbol in the american flag is most offensive???

secondly, the real issue i think is that the US media is not allowed to show the footage of the imprisoned or dead US soldiers!!! the Us media is so under the control of the US gov. its not even funny. PURE PROPAGANDA! no wonder 75% of all americans are for this war! scary scary scary!

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Let's see....show the footage and be called greedy, trying to make a buck off of someone's agony;

Don't show it and be called controlled by the government.

All the stations have the footage. They are respecting the soldiers and the families by not showing it.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    firstly, how come a peace symbol in the american flag is most offensive???

My thoughts exactly.

On a personal note, I have a boyhood friend who is most likely near naisairya right now. I love the guy, and support him, but I definitely want him to come home. He has a little one on the way.

Screw this war. Just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach.

ash

• Xena
    Xena

I tend to be pretty neutral....but I find it hard to believe Ang that you and Simon can't see the difference between a yellow ribbon and someone altering the American flag to suit their agenda.

• Angharad
    Angharad

Xena

If the flag had been altered and an obcenity put in the place of the peace sign - yes I would agree its offensive. But how is making the statement that you wish for America to have peace offensive?

• Shakita
    Shakita

The International Red Cross has the responsibility to register all POW's and visit them to make sure that they are being treated humanely. I hope that this happens soon.

Mrs. Shakita

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    But how is making the statement that you wish for America to have peace offensive?

I think because peace is offensive to them, in the context that it goes against Bush's decision to go into Iraq, and as we know, Bush is popular among some people. (not me, of course)

I think the flag is fine. It melds a love for your country with a support of a peaceful way to go about being a superpower.

ash

• Realist
    Realist

teenyuck,

the US gov. told the stations NOT to show the footage! this is NOT a voluntary action taken out of respect for the victims!

the US gov is afraid of the "somalia" effect!

• rebel
    rebel

I never post on political/war posts normally, but I just have something to say, just this once.

I don't like this war. I don't like the idea of death - I don't want to die - I don't want others to die.

But I think I can understand why those from the US would get upset at their flag being altered. To the Americans, the flag represents so much. Children are taught to respect it. As a JW, I read much about young children saluting the flag in the US and I always found this difficult to get my head around.

I think, because most on this board were once JWs, we don't realise the importance of the Stars & Stripes. In the UK, we are proud of the Union Jack, but we rarely fly it, mainly because to do so would leave you open to accusations of being a member of the NF (but that's another story). I do not understand how anyone can be attached to a flag, but I respect the views of those that think it is important. Maybe if I had been brought up as a US citizen, I too would be outraged by any attempt to alter the US flag. I really don't know. But to say that patriotic people are over-reacting is just glossing over the issue. I don't understand what it is to be American and I don't pretend I understand everything about their culture, but I do respect them. I respect all cultures. I have my own which I am proud of, yet those from other cultures can so easily be flippant about things that are dear to me, without realising it. I don't hold it against them, but I would bring it to their attention if I felt strongly enough about it.

The fact that even one person was upset about what was done to the US flag is enough for me. I don't understand it, but I respect it.

Just my opinion

xxR

• Simon
    Simon
    The International Red Cross has the responsibility to register all POW's and visit them to make sure that they are being treated humanely. I hope that this happens soon

I hope not! That will stir things up even more ... best leave it to the Red Crescent

For anyone who isn't aware, in Muslim countries the "Red Cross" work is done by the Red Crescent as the red cross is a very offensive symbol from the crusades when many massacres and attrocities occured.

(BTW: I don't mean this critically, just wanted to share a bit of info)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit