YELLOW RIBBON : Show your support!

by email 118 Replies latest social current

• wednesday
    wednesday

i have removed my yellow ribbon , per request, b/c i do not want to see images of my beloved flag befouled. So i agree to play by the rules

.I guess we will see who does and who does not.

• Simon
    Simon

Thank you Wednesday, I appreciate your cooperation.

If one side 'backs down' then it really does put the onus on the others to do likewise

• dubla
    dubla
    This is proving my point though that allowing people on either side to post logo's and symbols in every post is just another way to insult each other.

i cant understand how posting a symbol that says "i support our troops" is insulting anyone. hell, even alot of the antiwar protestors being interviewed are vowing their support for our troops....even tom dachle is saying the nation needs to unite and support the troops...and he was the most outspoken opposer to the war this entire time! is he "insulting" the antiwar movement by showing explicit support for our troops? i dont see how. i havent read the other thread to which ang is directing attention yet, so ill go check it out now. maybe there is proof in that thread that this support is insulting.

aa

• Angharad
    Angharad

No supporting the troops is not insulting and no one is saying people cant express that where its relevent, but if symbols representing that are allowed, then symbols showing you dont support the war must be allowed and as you can see on the other thread that has offended people when its happened.

• dubla
    dubla

ang-

ive just finished reviewing both threads, and i have to say on this topic i disagree with your/simons stance. i can understand you not wanting antiwar and prowar symbols displayed.....completely understandable. but.....the yellow ribbon is protroops, not prowar....it is NOT the opposite of antiwar, as you and simon make it sound. i would be very surprised if there arent antiwar americans who indeed display their own support for the troops, probably even yellow ribbons. now, simon started by saying it takes up too much space, and if thats indeed the case (im not knowledgable in that area), then i can understand not wanting them posted. imo, it wouldve never even been an issue had simon not implied that it was one on this thread. in fact, the way email worded his first post, i cant see how any antiwar poster wouldve read it and been offended in any way, shape, or form. again, just my opinions, and ill respect the request to avoid displaying the ribbon, even though i think its a great idea. im sure ill just be accused of trying to make trouble, and make an issue out of nothing........but i do believe an issue was made out of nothing here.

aa

• Simon
    Simon
    i cant understand how posting a symbol that says "i support our troops" is insulting anyone. hell, even alot of the antiwar protestors being interviewed are vowing their support for our troops....even tom dachle is saying the nation needs to unite and support the troops...and he was the most outspoken opposer to the war this entire time! is he "insulting" the antiwar movement by showing explicit support for our troops? i dont see how. i havent read the other thread to which ang is directing attention yet, so ill go check it out now. maybe there is proof in that thread that this support is insulting.

This has already been covered if you would take the time to read through this topic.

• Most people equate "support the troops" to "support the war" (as demonstrated by the unwillingness to accept that people who oppose the war can support the troops)
    • If pro-war logos are allowed then so must anti-war logos. I personally can't comprehend how people can be insulted by an American flag with a peace sign on it. It just shows the danger of judging everyone else frmo our own, narrow viewpoint.
    • Both are just ways to throw insults at people with the "in your face" show. Yes, some will find it insulting.
    • In reality, putting a little yellow gif on some JW related forum provides no support to the the troops whatsoever just as anti-war logo's are not going to convince anyone to withdraw.
    • It is easier and simpler if both sides refrained from posting them and will help prevent people from falling out

If, as some are suggesting, I was dead against it because I was anti-war then I would lock / edit / delete the pro-war topics and any logo's that pop up on unrelated topics. The fact that I have treated both sides fairly show that this is not the case.

• Simon
    Simon

You need to re-read it then

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/48865/693444/post.ashx#693444

Answer me this: Would you find any logo saying "troops are murderers and should not be supported" offensive and insulting? Would you want them removed? Would it make you angry seeing them on every topic when someone posted?

Yes or No?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    I personally can't comprehend how people can be insulted by an American flag with a peace sign on it. It just shows the danger of judging everyone else frmo our own, narrow viewpoint.

Yup.

• dubla
    dubla

simon-

in answer to your yes or no question, my simple answer is no. but thats just me, and i completely understand others that would want them removed for the reasons youve implied. im sure it would anger many. personally, ive already dealt with posters saying those exact things, and i didnt expect their posts to be edited or removed.

This has already been covered if you would take the time to read through this topic.

i thought i had already said that i took the time to read the topic? i realize others had made similar points, but i felt like voicing my opinion, and frankly i didnt fully buy your explanations when you "covered" this.

• Most people equate "support the troops" to "support the war" (as demonstrated by the unwillingness to accept that people who oppose the war can support the troops)
  • just because you found a website that believes this, i dont think it means "most people". ask tom dachle if he thinks a yellow ribbon is offensive, and maybe youd be surprised by his answer. like i said, the way email worded his first post was sufficient to quell any offensive feelings of posters on this board to the "yellow ribbon", and it wasnt until after you posted your feelings on the war of symbols that any antiwar poster even spoke up and implied such things. it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, imo.

If pro-war logos are allowed then so must anti-war logos. I personally can't comprehend how people can be insulted by an American flag with a peace sign on it. It just shows the danger of judging everyone else frmo our own, narrow viewpoint.
    well, i suppose if youre sticking to the yellow ribbon = prowar, then all of your points are valid. to be honest, im not offended personally by the american flag with a pecace sign on it either, and i dont fully understand the outrage with that particular symbol, but i do see your points on judgement.
  • In reality, putting a little yellow gif on some JW related forum provides no support to the the troops whatsoever just as anti-war logo's are not going to convince anyone to withdraw.
  • i honestly believe that you are confused about showing support. if i show support it doesnt mean i think im giving direct aid to the soldiers, and helping save their lives. to me, this logic is completely off base. as you said, perhaps the troops abroad are viewing this site, and perhaps they appreciate seeing a yellow ribbon, and knowing that poster truly cares about whether they live or die. or maybe they think its just a worthless token of appreciation as you imply it is. who knows.

If, as some are suggesting, I was dead against it because I was anti-war then I would lock / edit / delete the pro-war topics and any logo's that pop up on unrelated topics. The fact that I have treated both sides fairly show that this is not the case.

i dont think your motives are bad whatsoever, i just think it was an issue that didnt have to be made an issue. again, just my opinion. as i said, ill respect the request, and i have no intention of carrying out a long argument on it, as im sure youre tired of fielding these comments, and i dont care to be labeled a trouble-maker as many are at times. as l.b. has said, its great to have a place where we can disagree with the moderator publicly.......your site and work are appreciated.

aa

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

what about those muslims who want to see the US bombed? it would be unfair not to let them have a symbol too. maybe this one would bo ok...

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit