Afghanistan-Kabul falls to Taliban - U.S. Embassy staff evacuated by helicopter

by fulltimestudent 112 Replies latest jw friends

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Welcome back _Morpheus, Morph, Justaguynamedmorph, Justaguy! (and whatever other other names).

I admire your tenacity!

BTW, I don't think "Japs" is very PC, "Nips" is more accurate...

• Justaguy
    Justaguy

“Japs” is simply short for Japanese, quicker to type. i cant see how thats offensive. Call me ‘merican if you’d like…

However, Because of PC culture, I restrained myself from calling the chi-coms “slopes”. I feel i deserve credit for that.

No idea who those other people are, but nice to make your acquaintance just the same.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

De ja'vu all over again.

(Remembering Saigon)

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

I was joking Justaguy.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

The Irony in the Afghan Developments.

The similarity of the USA's flight from Saigon has already been noted. But the New York Times saw another ironical situation, recalling this image of the last Russian forces leaving Afghanistan. The story has a video of Afghan army units fleeing across the bridge in retreat from Taliban forces.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/16/world/middleeast/afghanistan-taliban-soviet-friendship-bridge.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR0pkLua4uzty6653vFwwN87dZzu5akZiG8Lt_40TJMT55OWq-l0ruPdo_Y

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

And they reckon withdrawal isn't defeat!

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    More than 1 trillion dollars wasted and a huge deathtoll (both sides) Afghanistan is back to where it started,

You forgot a big important factor. A lot of armament was sold and used, pockets were lined and wallets got fat. The goal of the war was achieved.

Yes, the Afghanis are back where they started, but come on, it was never about that. See now, the Taliban are back into power and then in another 10 years we'll find a way to invade them again, and the whole cycle begins

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

btw, don't put it past the "machine" to already be planning the next war

Retreating might be just the reset needed to go through a few years of no war, in order to engage in a new one. New terrorist attack on the way to give us the opening? Maybe....

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@redvip: don’t expect America to invade Afghanistan again. The Chinese already started to take over the country in forms of military and infrastructure. This President is weak, expect Taiwan to fall next, war in India and Africa as China is funding Pakistan and various African terrorist groups.

We are on the precipice of a Third World War, not nuclear but a war between third world countries over who gets to reign over the vast amounts of resources that the West needs to do so-called green things. Europe will get pulled in because China and Russia will cut off their energy and food supplies as they’ve been dependent, eventually after the Democrats leave office (doubtful Biden survives that long, but Harris may) then the US will have to clean it all up again.

Our carbon-free energy will be soaked in blood. And then within 50 years when we realize that it’s not sustainable, we will have created a most unstable world, when the answer was laying under our feet all along. Biden just committed an Archduke Ferdinand-level mistake all because he doesn’t understand foreign policy and his base hated everything Trump did for world peace.

Biden needs to go, he is objectively the worst president in history.

• waton
    waton
    The Chinese already started to take over the country in forms of military and infrastructure.

AM sure hope so, because as has been pointed out. The Taliban are not a monolithic force. splinter groups can wreak havoc, ideologically and militarily on the hapless population.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit