Afghanistan-Kabul falls to Taliban - U.S. Embassy staff evacuated by helicopter

by fulltimestudent 112 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

In a scene reminiscent of the fall of Saigon, the USA embassy staff have been evacuated by helicopter.

For a third time in Asia ( a fourth, if you count USA supported Chiang Kai Shek's defeat in mainland China) USA supported forces have been defeated. More than 1 trillion dollars wasted and a huge deathtoll (both sides) Afghanistan is back to where it started,

Will the Taliban behave differently this time ? We have to wait and see!

Australia's government -owned news service tells the story:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-15/taliban-takes-jalalabad-with-kabul-now-in-sights-afghanistan/100378750

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-16/afghanistan-taliban-kabul-evacuation-presidential-palace/100379232

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

South Vietnam revisited!

FTS, in three of those cases you mention (i.e. Afghanistan, South Vietnam and China), US-backed forces were certainly given the capability to resist. What they lost - or perhaps never had in the first place - was the will to fight.

To quote the observations of a recognised military genius, Napoleon Bonaparte:

"In war, moral power is to the physical as three parts out of four."

The real challenge, it would seem, is not in throwing money, materiel and manpower at the problem - it is in somehow inspiring people to fight; a much more subtle challenge.

• Justaguy
    Justaguy

Bahahahahaha ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

withdrawal is not defeat, but nice try. We could have held the land of goat herders indefinitely, but apparently Ole lunch bucket Joe had other ideas.

You can crow all you want about โ€œdefeatsโ€ but the Japanese showed how soft your people are and America pushed those same Japs back onto their island for good.

Let us hope the proxy war never becomes full blown war between the two real antagonists. For now even your chi-com overlords are smart enough to know a shooting war with the US of A is a losing proposition. Tragically our ruling class is too stupid and/or paid off to fight back effectively in this full blown cold war, so ultimate victory may yet belong to china.

However, until thenโ€ฆ.

USA! USA! USA!

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    but the Japanese showed how soft your people are

I am intrigued, here!

Who exactly are you referring to when you say "your people"?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

According to this Aljazeera report, the USA embassy may only be partly evacuated. Embassy officials are described as still busy burning documents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRizHY32WGs

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

fulltimestudent.

Thanks for posting these links.

I've just finished reading this right now on the abc.

Stan Grant has a good opinion piece on this situation. It's titled "You have the watch,we have the time"

I'm having trouble linking the story.

jtg

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

jtg; "I'm having trouble linking the story."

Not sure why you have a problem. But see if the web address works

Stan Grant claims (and, I guess he's right) that the Taliban was never defeated. They just went underground and waited.

The West's big mistake (in most of my first post situations) was the mistaken belief that you can take large masses of culturally different people and transform ththem overnight into carbon copies of western people who themselves are the result of centuries of cultural change.

And holding them in contempt (witness the term "goat herders" ) hardly helps. On that level, we can also think about the revelations concerning Aussie soldiers in Afghanistan in the current legal case, slowly working its way through the Australian legal system.

-----------------------

OK, I see the problem you've had in posting, but cant solve it. If anyone else wants to read Stan Grants analysis, got the ABC'c Facebook page and scroll down

https://www.facebook.com/abcnews.au/

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Rules of engagement. I can't remember if it was here or another forum: "kill them, kill their family, kill their friends, kill their neighbors, kill their goats". We moral Americans dont have the stomach for that, they do. Even the Russians didnt.

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

The Taliban didn't even have the common courtesy of waiting until Sept 11, dirty pool playing bastards.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

I'd like to know where and what happened to the Afghan government military force , there haven't been much fighting by this force ?

Did they put on their civilian cloths and leave the country ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit