Roe vs Wade Overturned by US Supreme Court!

by Simon 173 Replies latest social current

• joey jojo
    joey jojo
    Its easy for a conservative middle aged, middle classed man to tell a young woman how she should live her life. Now imagine if you were that young woman of 16 or 17 with that decision weighing on you because you made a bad choice.

"I'm not sure that's a good example".

Hi Tonus, the reason I used that example is because I know a couple of girls personally who were that age when they were faced with that decision. Incidentally, both from very normal, middle class families.

My point is that this has been going on forever. I agree that these days we have medical treatments that take a lot of risk out pregnancies compared to the past, but not all women in all countries have that luxury.

Taking it one step further, some religious beliefs extend to banning birth control. If we are having an honest conversation about life here, where do we draw the line? Is it morally unacceptable that semen be wasted? Is someone using birth control pre-emptively aborting potential life? Some people genuinely believe that.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    Taking it one step further, some religious beliefs extend to banning birth control. If we are having an honest conversation about life here, where do we draw the line?

I see that as a separate issue, though a valid one. I think that one affects married couples mostly, since those same religions are usually very strict about pre-marital sex. But I think it's an example of the ways in which religious rules and customs can make situations much more complicated than they need to be. The notion that sex should be attempted only when one wishes to procreate betrays a deep misunderstanding of how powerful the sex drive is (and how inefficient sex can actually be at producing viable young).

So, I agree, the approach that says that you cannot try to prevent pregnancy and that you cannot end a pregnancy promotes a view of sex as purely a tool for population growth that must be managed and controlled in ways that would normally not allow for the kind of emotional investment a pair of loving human beings can't help but feel.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

One thing I will say: the beliefs of the liberal-left have little or no logic to them.

I saw a photo of an obviously pregnant woman who'd written 'not a human life yet' on her swollen belly. I can bet any money that that same woman would say 'I lost my baby' if she miscarried.

At least the right's view on this is logical - life begins at conception, so abortion is murdering the unborn baby. You can disagree with the right, but at least their beliefs have some kind of logic.

Just out of interest, if life doesn't begin at conception, when does it begin?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    LuheI saw a photo of an obviously pregnant woman who'd written 'not a human life yet' on her swollen belly. I can bet any money that that same woman would say 'I lost my baby' if she miscarried.

Oh that is grotesque.

I agree it is consistent. Personally i think it's pretty early ....if I'm honest at around 9 weeks. Certainly way before it would ever show as a bump😬

We also have 'the morning after' pill (which is actually only 3 oestrogen-progesterone contraceptive pills in one pill, by the way) which should have massively cut down the need for terminations.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Personally i think it's pretty early - yeah, me too. Even if life does begin at conception, the zygote is just a cell. It has no nervous system, cannot feel pain or anything else. Very early in the pregnancy, the baby is just a clump of dividing cells, that's it.

Later on, the foetus can move, respond to its mother's voice, feel pain. Just look at that scan which someone posted a few pages ago in this thread. The scan at 12 weeks clearly shows a miniature human being.

Oh that is grotesque - if you think that's bad, how about this: a US woman called Lindsey Ellis deliberately got herself pregnant just so she could have an abortion and make a documentary about it. The documentary is apparently called The A Word. WTF is wrong with these people?!

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    Kamala Harris: "If you are a parent of sons, do think about what this means for the life of your son and what that will mean in terms of the choices he will have."

The Vice President is worried that young men will no longer be able to run around, humping every girl in sight anymore. No longer will it only be rich male athletes finding themselves having to support eleven children from eight different women.

This is what she takes away from the SCOTUS decision...

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

"if you think that's bad, how about this: a US woman called Lindsey Ellis deliberately got herself pregnant just so she could have an abortion and make a documentary about it. The documentary is apparently called The A Word. WTF is wrong with these people?!"

Yeh, that is sick.

• titch
    titch

Here's something to consider: I read this in a book entitled "Letter to a Christian Nation", written by Sam Harris. In that book, he made this observation: "Of course, the Church's position on abortion takes no more notice of the details of biology than it does of the reality of human suffering. It has been estimated that 50 percent of all human conceptions end in spontaneous abortion, usually without a woman even realizing that she was pregnant. In fact, 20 percent of all recognized pregnancies end in miscarriage. There is an obvious truth here that cries out for acknowledgment: if God exists, He is the most prolific abortionist of all." So, think about this: If it is true that 50 percent of all conceptions end in spontaneous abortion---or, a miscarriage---without the woman even realizing that she IS pregnant---then, who, or what---is responsible for that termination of the existence of a fetus? God? Allah? Yahweh? A supreme being? A deity? The Universe? Just "nature" taking its course? Who? What? Just wondering. Best Regards, Everyone.

Titch.

"

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Just "nature" taking its course?

Yes. We live in a fallen world. Disconnected from the Source. An aberration to the original design. As such, victim to the second law of thermal dynamics. Decay. Accumulating deleterious mutations with each generation. It's called genetic entropy. Very well understood these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Mfn2upw-O8

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@titch:

In your view (or Sam Harris), there is no difference between a miscarriage and an abortion?

Is there a difference between dying of old age and someone chopping off another's head?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit