Roe vs Wade Overturned by US Supreme Court!

by Simon 173 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    with stigma and shame attached.

Really? I don't think there is any shame for anything nowadays.

It'd be a tough situation, but make better choices and choose better partners.

There are lots of stories of people who go through the same thing and stick together and have a wonderful family and child as a result.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Sea breeze As sloppyjoe said, if you don't believe in termination at any point that's fine. That's your opinion. But stating that terminations are wrong because we were all once 2 wks from conception or 12 weeks from conception is nonsensical.

@Diogenesister

I never said what you say I did. Sloppyjoe2 invited a critique of his reasoning on "viability" here:

This isn’t directed at anyone specifically. I put out there already I don’t have a problem with abortion before viability. I am interested to hear anyones views on why they do have a problem with that.

The viability argument is flawed as I pointed out with several examples because for all of us, our viability is dependent on environment. It has nothing to do with age.

Without creating a double standard, (one for you personally and a different standard for a baby) Could you please clarify why you believe killing a baby at 12 weeks of age as you intimated, is OK in your opinion?

Here's an ultrasoud of someone at just 12 weeks for perspective.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

"There are lots of stories of people who go through the same thing and stick together and have a wonderful family and child as a result."

Simon, you are right, it could go either way. An unwanted child, given the chance may eventually grow into a real asset to the human race.

Unwanted pregnancies have been around since the beginning of time, its nothing new. Abortion is nothing new either. It has been practised forever. A pregnant woman is going to do what she wants, regardless of what the government tells her.

• sloppyjoe2
    sloppyjoe2

@seabreeze while your question wasn’t directed at me about 12 week babies being aborted, I will give my perspective. First I don’t think any abortion is the moral thing or even a good thing. But since these are only MY views and opinions, I do believe freedom is more important than them. I like living in a country where freedoms prevail as opposed to someone else’s morals and opinions being pushed on others. I like freedoms that I disagree with. I like freedoms that if they are taken away it will have no change in my life. I am a man and banning abortions will not alter my life whatsoever. But I like freedom. Therefore I support the option for women to obtain an abortion prior to what I accept as viability from the medical field. I am not making an argument, it is what I accept as part of society. I know we disagree on this.

I also know that brings up why can’t we murder anyone then. From my point of view since the baby was never born and has no recollection of anything prior to viability, it is not murder. Again I know we disagree on this.

I know I am not going to go out and help unwanted children. I know I am not going to go out and spend time helping neglected children that would have been aborted. I’m not going to search for families that have children that they would have aborted and can’t afford and give them money. Therefore I am not going to take my own moral high ground and try to eliminate this option for others that has been around for longer than I am alive while knowing I would do nothing to help with what this change could cause.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    I know I am not going to go out and help unwanted children.

You or I may not have the personality, temperament or opportunity. But, lots of other people do. My construction company supported an orphan kids ministry in Ukraine for years. It was very fulfilling writing those checks. Sometimes it was nice just to sit and imagine how some kid benefitted. They did send a few pics over the years though.

I recently seem to be burdened to somehow channel funds to be used for kids that were born-in JW's. Would like to hear ideas if anyone else has ever thought about this.

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse

My construction company supported an orphan kids ministry in Ukraine for years. It was very fulfilling writing those checks. Sometimes it was nice just to sit and imagine how some kid benefitted.

In the end, probably benefited about as well as "Violeta" and "Juan" benefited from these commercials:

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

In three years:

Planned Parenthood Received $1.6 Billion of Our Tax Dollars to Promote Its Abortion Agenda

Now that PP offices are closing, I wonder what will happen to this money?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

It should be up to each individual woman to decide what she wants to do re abortions - but that was determined at federal level.

So, that had been made legal and determined by Federal authorities, not individual women.

BTW, it still is up to individual women to decide whether she has an abortion or not ...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This is a very difficult topic to say the least.

It's obviously controversial, and the overturning of Roe v Wade is definitely divisive.

There is much to discuss, e.g. rape victims who get pregnant do deserve abortions, I totally agree with this point.

But let's be honest, the majority of women getting abortions aren't rape victims.

Boys and girls need good advice in their schooling and education - including sex education.

Here's a piece of advice that I've heard from someone else but it makes sense and so I'd give it to young women: only sleep with a man if you think he'd make a good father.

Liberals have been crying, hysterically saying that with this new ruling, women will be at the mercy of their sexual biology. And I say: bollocks! Adults should behave responsibly and be held responsible for their own behaviour.

The function of male and female bodies is to make babies, that's obvious.

Clearly, Homo sapiens is a sexually reproducing species, and people can learn this the easy way or the hard way.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    These issues are no joke for a young woman to have to deal with. Its understandable why some women dont like to be told how to live their lives by men.

It is true that one of the things that seems to decrease the rate of abortions in a community is the percentage of families where the father does/doesn't stay to help raise the children. And it's not an easy problem to fix, although I think there is a clear approach that must be applied, with a view to the long term. And that is to make fathers financially responsible for the children they bring into the world.

It is not a fix, but I think that it's a moral imperative for any society that cares about its citizens (and, by extension, cares about its own long-term success). If you try to solve this problem by making abortion more accessible, you are indirectly promoting the behavior that leaves so many young women pregnant and alone, bearing the responsibility for carrying the child to term, and also unfairly bearing the responsibility for ending the pregnancy.

Forcing people to stay true to their commitments (including one of the most precious commitments we can make-- bringing a life into the world) should lead to more people acting responsibly. Either before the act, so as to avoid a pregnancy in the first place, or after it, which should lead to more children raised in a healthier environment and fewer children conceived by the men who would have otherwise run off to find another young lady to impregnate.

But in a way, this is also an example of telling a woman how to lead her life, with the additional 'problem' of also telling a man how to lead his. Freedom is fine, but when it comes without responsibilities, we end up with a nation of people who fiercely defend abortion, not because they believe in any of the issues involved, but because it's the convenient option. I don't think we can have a viable society if that attitude spreads to too many other life decisions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit