Roe vs Wade Overturned by US Supreme Court!

by Simon 173 Replies latest social current

• Freemail
    Freemail

Just when you thought Americans couldn’t get any stupider….

• NonCoinCollector
    NonCoinCollector
    Just when you thought Americans couldn’t get any stupider…

I have doubts about some some north of me as well.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Putting the topic of abortion to the side for a moment, what this and the previous SCOTUS ruling on the suit in New York has shown me is the large number of Americans who don't understand how their country works. The "by any means necessary" mentality is down right scary. The double standards on how "rights" are treated in the view of opinion and feelings is terrifying.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Codify it into law instead of relying on a judicial opinion. Then you wouldn't have any problem having a judicial body changing the law because they are obligated to uphold it.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

States will now get to choose whether or not to murder their kids. Missouri made it illegal less than an hour after the decision. Texas will automatically make it a felony to perform an abortion in 30 days with a previously passed "trigger" law.

The bill makes it a crime to perform, induce, or attempt abortion. The law provides exceptions for a life-threatening condition of the mother that could lead to her death or serious bodily injury. A violation of the law is a felony of the second degree. The death of the unborn during the abortion would increase the offense to a felony of the first degree. The person performing the abortion could also be subject to a civil penalty of up to $100,000 for each violation.

The law does not impose any penalty or fine on the pregnant female, the law states. Rep. Capriglione told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram the penalties also do not apply to a pregnant female who performs a self-induced abortion.

25 states are expected to make performing an abortion illegal.

Anti-abortion protesters celebrate following Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, federally protected right to abortion, outside the Supreme Court in Washington, Friday, June 24, 2022. The Supreme Court has ended constitutional protections for abortion that had been in place nearly 50 years, a decision by its conservative majority to overturn the court's landmark abortion cases. (AP Photo/Gemunu Amarasinghe)

• titch
    titch

There is something that I've been wondering about for a long time. First of all, I have no "skin in the game" whatsoever. I have never had the experience of perpetuating the human race, by contributing to the procreation of any human beings. That is something that I NEVER had any desire to do, and I still do not have any desire to do. Having stated that, I am pro-choice.(I honestly believe that there are too many human bodies on the face of Planet Earth. )_

So, here's my question: If----and I do mean IF--- there is some god, some creator, some "supreme being" out there, who is opposed to terminating the existence of fetuses---notice that I didn't use the term "babies"---and who has the ability to see into the future as to the end result of things---then why, WHY, didn't he/she/it prevail upon the minds of the U.S. Supreme Court Justices, back in 1973, to make a different decision regarding the ruling on the right to privacy? Why did he/she/it wait over 49 years to influence the minds of U.S. Supreme Court Justices to overturn the ruling that was made in 1973? Can anyone clarify this matter for me? Best Regards, Everyone.

Titch.

• GabeAthouse
    GabeAthouse

"Democrats haven't been this angry since the republicans freed their slaves!"

While factually true, it's not a very strong put down. When Civil Rights legislation was passed in 1964, guess which party welcomed the aggrieved (former) Southern Democrats into their house? It's like chastising a person who harbored a criminal in their home for years and ignoring the fact that said criminal now resides in your house.

• Simon
    Simon

And straight away I see the "white men! white men!" brigade on Twitter.

The original Roe vs Wade was decided by white men. This was decided by a more diverse group including black men and women.

When Civil Rights legislation was passed in 1964, guess which party welcomed the aggrieved (former) Southern Democrats into their house?

You're really struggling to turn it into "republicans bad" aren't you? They were way too forgiving - they should have annihilated and destroyed the dems from existence. But the fault for everything the racist KKK dem party did was still all on there.

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Beyond pissed. What a bunch of shit, honestly.

Obviously the court system isn’t looking at the full picture here.

I’ve been to enough groups to know that it isn’t just about responsibility.

Sometimes it’s a choice of life and death.

Sometimes it’s to keep the mom of 3 alive so Dad doesn’t have to raise his children alone.

Sometimes it’s about rape and a child of rape.

This country is backwater.

• Simon
    Simon
    Obviously the court system isn’t looking at the full picture here.

You don't get it. That's not what their job is. They solely ruled on whether it was a constitutional right that the federal government should protect. It clearly wasn't.

To make it easier to understand: please point to the part of the constitution that you believe guarantees the right to abortion. It isn't there. The thing that was used in the original ruling was laughable from a legal perspective as you could apply the same logic to stealing cars and murdering people. They have now corrected that faulty ruling.

And the number of cases that are about rape are small, a tiny fraction. Same for incest and medical issues. I don't think I've seen many voices say no abortion for any reason at all. That's a straw-man.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit