Roe vs Wade Overturned by US Supreme Court!

by Simon 173 Replies latest social current

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    Holly shit , it’s like my disfellowshipping hearing in here.
    “ better lifestyle choices, consequences , held accountable “. People ( besides you dorks ) get laid. It happens. Get over it. It’s none of your damn business.
    Leaving the WT doesn't imply leaving all standards behind.

But to your broader point: Go get laid. Go fork a bunch of girls, or get forked. I really don't care. But the debate around abortion is not about control. Perhaps you would like to think its about control. It really isn't. I don't care if you go pork three women, two men, five goats, and a horse all at the same time. I may care about the animals - they didn't consent. But as a way of illustrating my point, I don't forking care.

Go get drunk and laid all you want. Your body, your choice. But your liberty to swing your fist ends just where my nose begins, and once there is someone else's body in the mix, it's not strictly your choice anymore.

• Simon
    Simon
    I don't care if you go pork three women, two men, five goats, and a horse all at the same time. I may care about the animals - they didn't consent.

I heard some people get off by pumping helium into farm animals. I say, whatever floats your goat! (boom-tish)

Sorry, I rarely get to use that joke and it's the closest opening I've seen.

• titch
    titch

Responding to LoveUni: By my quoting the writing of Sam Harris, what I was trying to point out is that, maybe, just maybe a miscarriage is nature's way of ending...terminating...aborting...a pregnancy? Could be, could be. And, I wish that people would stop using that terminology "unborn babies." A fetus is not an unborn "baby." A fetus is just that...a fetus. It is a pre-birth fetus. It is not a full-fledged, viable human being. During the 9-month period inside the womb of my mother, I was just that, a pre-birth fetus. And, for the first few weeks of my mom's pregnancy, I was merely a "clump of cells." A globule of cells. I didn't have any conscious thoughts, any ideas, any concepts. I was not a "cute pre-born baby." A fetus. That's all.

Titch.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    By my quoting the writing of Sam Harris, what I was trying to point out is that, maybe, just maybe a miscarriage is nature's way of ending...terminating...aborting...a pregnancy? Could be, could be.

I honesty don't understand this argument. Given the above, can you put a conclusion on it? Therefore........ what?

• Simon
    Simon
    During the 9-month period inside the womb of my mother, I was just that, a pre-birth fetus.

No, you weren't. You were a baby for a significant part of it, with heartbeat, brain, and nervous system. You could respond to touch and music.

Science denier.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I think Harris was making the point that, if abortion is such an evil in God's eyes, He is acting in direct opposition to that belief by making it happen naturally. If you're an atheist, the argument is meaningless, since the high rate of natural miscarriages is just an outcome of the evolutionary process.

• Simon
    Simon

He's assuming that people believe god directly causes every single thing that happens. I'm not sure that's what most religious people believe. It would mean there was no free will to make choices, we'd all be just puppets.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Would Harris make a distinction between "killing" and "dying"?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

People ... get laid. It happens. Get over it. It’s none of your damn business - you're missing the point entirely.

People who choose to be sexually active should also be responsible.

^^^ What about this is so hard to understand?!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

what I was trying to point out is that, maybe, just maybe a miscarriage is nature's way of ending...terminating...aborting...a pregnancy? - yes, but nature kills all the time. We can't charge 'Nature' with unlawful killing.

Human beings are a different matter entirely. Human beings (especially medical doctors) have a responsibility to act sensibly and preserve life, wherever possible.

PS - Sam Harris is, or seems to be, very intelligent. But I'm not sure he has self awareness and/or emotional intelligence. Perhaps he's on some kind of spectrum? Maybe, dunno ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit