TV.JW.ORG (September 2015) - Generation explained again

by Designer Stubble 210 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

WingCommander - "The urgency was THEN (the 1969-1995 period), and is NOT now."

Maybe compelling membership urgency for 30-odd years takes it's toll on people, both up the ladder and down.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Great comment WingCommander. I am 58 and like you know all about the expectations that are now forgotten history. What we have now is just unbelievably dumb.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Say, shouldn't the thread title have been "...Generation 'Splaned again"?

• steve2
    steve2

Millie210 commented:

So if Franz was born in 1892 he was anointed by 1914? For some reason I didnt realize he was so young.

I remember back in the 60s it was very frowned on for anyone young to think they were anointed.

That was the province of the older folks.

In Russell's day, all believers were "anointed" with the heavenly hope. In Rutherford's day, that changed to a designated limited number of anointed (144,000). So he introduced the two groups. So, yes, if a young person claimed to be of the anointed after Rutherford declared there were two groups (heavenly and earthly), that young person would have been considered presumptuous.

Wingcommander commented:

What makes me sad is that the "generation" of teenagers and 20-somethings right now - today, know absolutely nothing of that level of urgency. It's all JW dot Org TV and manipulative Caleb & Sophie videos and easy-as-pie cart witnessing. They really have no clue what for false hope we were sold in the 1970's thru 1995. No clue, they were born after. Just as I had no clue about 1975, 1925, etc, etc. That is, until I started looking on the internet in 1999. Thank God for the internet and the expansion of knowledge, the uncovering of frauds.

Well said. Not much changes. I was an avid young reader of Watchtower publications in the 1960s - yet I remained in the dark about the false hopes raised by Russell and, in turn, by Rutherford. The chain of false hope continues. On the plus side, for JWs who are in any way disturbed by the convoluted "3 generations" explanation, the internet is a godsend.

• prologos
    prologos

The incredible shrinking generation; not just explained again, but narrowed again. It used to be the generation of all living, then the wicked, then the anointed overlapping and

now only the Governing Body members overlapping. , the FDS.- Navel-gazing at it's best.

There should be a name for this: like "Generation Gate" , "Gaffe d'Generation", schreckliche "Gestrekte Generation"

The time is getting longer, the numbers smaller.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that the Generation seems to keep getting longer while the Time of the End is supposedly getting shorter?
  • FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    Generationgate!!! I love it.
  • leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Talk about a red herring speaking of the baby who died 10 minutes before Joseph was born or the one born 10 minutes after Joseph died. Who cares? The scripture he uses, Exodus 1:6 doesn't say anything about Joseph's generation. It says: "Joseph eventually died, and also all his brothers and all that generation." Just because Joseph was in the sentence doesn't mean the generation began with Joseph's birth and ended with his death.

Joseph was not the oldest of his brothers. He was the firstborn to Rachel, but Leah already had six children. So, in reality, he was the 7th son. Thus, the generation did not start with Joseph's birth as the verse includes "all his brothers". So, a person who died 10 minutes BEFORE Joseph was born WOULD still be part of that generation, and a person who was born 10 minutes AFTER Joseph died WOULD also still be part of that generation BECAUSE that generation included ALL HIS BROTHERS.

Sheesh.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly
    Frederick Franz was baptized in November 1913, but was considered one of the Lord's anointed in 1914? I guess that means that newly baptized ones CAN be of the anointed.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Frederick Franz was baptized in November 1913, but was considered one of the Lord's anointed in 1914? I guess that means that newly baptized ones CAN be of the anointed.

Back then I think it was common for people to begin partaking upon baptism. Now not so much...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit