Would You Marry A Person Of A Different Race?

by minimus 116 Replies latest jw friends

• Solace
    Solace

Love knows NO color.

Crazy 151,

Im Dutch / Finnish.

Have you been spying on me?

• rocketman
    rocketman

Yes, if she were the right gal, yes, I'd marry her. She'd have to meet my main requirement though...she'd have to like sports, or at least not be bothered by my viewing.

• Funchback
    Funchback

<--------Still awaiting minimus' reply.........

• Introspection
    Introspection

Ok, on a slightly more serious note.. I wouldn't even want to answer that yes or no question because neither of those direct responses would reflect my feeling on the matter. Like many others, I don't see race as relevant. Yes, there are some things that correlate with race, but ultimately a person's race only tells you only one thing - their race.

Just about all of the things we associate with race would not necessarily follow, basically the only thing that it really tells you is the person's genetic makeup. If you've known someone of another ethnic origin who was raised in your culture, you know that they can be practically identical with the natives behaviorally speaking. Look at how many different races make up Jehovah's Witnesses, if you think their ethnic origin tells you something about their religious beliefs, you'll be wrong many times. Often times the person's racial identity does correlate with many things, but I suppose the real question is how identified that person is with their racial identity, or how free they are from it. I for one am more interested in someone who is free or atleast wants to be free, not just from that but religion, culture - from anything.

Someone with the same racial profile as you could very well be identified or limited by it, whereas you may be free from it. I guess most people are looking for someone they have something in common with, (you can't help that actually, you're both human beings) it just so happens though that most of the time what they're looking for is the same basic set of conditioning. People seem to fall in love with the byproducts of love rather than just falling in love. I mean really, you look for things like they look a certain way, they make me feel a certain way, they like the same things I do, and the list goes on and on. Now obviously it makes sense to have some things in common, but I guess one way of putting it is are you in love with those things or are you in love with the person? I suppose the assumption is people tend to think those things which may include some good qualities make up the person, but the reality is even those qualities are only aspects that reflect who that person is and is therefore incomplete and indirect information.

Look, the bottom line is who the person is as an individual, right? I would certainly think that most people wouldn't pick just anyone who happens to be of the same race, or by the same token a different one - as if that alone tells you enough about your compatibility with the person. I think we all endeavor to be a little more selective than that.

• minimus
    minimus

WOW!!!! I just got to my computer and saw all the responses. I would marry any woman that I was attracted to. I am white (with a very good tan) and I think that if you really would care for someone, regardless of color or background, it doesn't matter.

• JLOB
    JLOB

Would you mary someone from a different race?

That is an interesting question.

I would like to ask- Would you mary someone from the same race?

The difference between us all is where we find the true beauty and strength of our world.

People who are comfortable with themselves can easily see the beauty in difference as well as the beauty in the same. Anyone that would have a problem with someone that is different from them truley only has a problem with themselves.

Anyone that can not see, appreciate, love, respect, accept and celebrate difference is most likely incapable of loving.

So why would anyone even think to ask the question "Would you mary someone from a different race?"

• minimus
    minimus

jlob........because it's a damn good interesting, question?

• nilfun
    nilfun
    People who are comfortable with themselves can easily see the beauty in difference as well as the beauty in the same. Anyone that would have a problem with someone that is different from them truley only has a problem with themselves.

JLOB, I agree.

As long as my children are healthy and happy, I don't give a whit whether or not they look like my grandparents, parents, or even me. I enjoy seeing the differences as well as the similarities. Those that have a problem with "interracial" couples/children...are the problem.

Edited by - nilfun on 17 January 2003 0:42:53

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I sometimes get a little infuriated with the frequent need to know what your ancestry is or what "race" you are. My son is more "black" than Tiger Woods, but he looks Caucasian. On the US census I put down that he is "white", because that is how others perceive him, (he does get a really good tan in the summer while hanging around at the local beach). Compatibility is more than the color of skin and more than simply our culture.

Two things have influenced my views for the good...in my opinion: Being brought up as a JW, in a mixed racial environment and going to school at a formative age in a multi-racial community. (Being white (like me) was a minority, but there was no majority racial group either.)

As you may have gathered, I married someone of mixed race. I remarried a little over two years ago and Mrs. Thirdson is of my racial group although culturally we are more different than my ex and me although British and American culture are not that far apart.

Coincidentally, the three of us (Mr & Mrs Thirdson and son of Thirdson) we were discussing racial issues, school desegregation and the civil rights movement over dinner today.

Thirdson (British - Anglo/Irish/Welsh/Jewish, if you must know)

(Mrs. Thirdson: American - German/Scandinavian)

Edited for attrocious attrochuss, bad spelling

Edited by - thirdson on 17 January 2003 0:49:21

• alfie
    alfie

I did; over 26 years ago and we're still going strong.

alfie

Edited by - alfie on 17 January 2003 2:46:39

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit