Would You Marry A Person Of A Different Race?

by minimus 116 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I am married to someone of another race. He's white, I'm black and all is good so far.

Sorry JH but I must comment on your post, you said the reason for not marrying someone of a different RACE was because of:

Different races have different religions, different odor, different way of seeing things, different family, different philosophy, different food they eat, different culture, and so on

First of all, if you are able to find someone that different from you what's wrong with it? To use my situation as an example. Both my husband and I are agnostic, we smell the same (WTF), we see some things differently but what couple doesn't? We were raised similarly, we both love all kinds of food and since we are both American we share a similar culture. To add to that he's 9 years older than me. I could understand your reasoning if you see race in terms of different countries, otherwise I don't get it.

Mulan-

Your reasoning is quite interesting. Ancestry is important and you think mixing races loses that? I think that if you had married a Hispanic person or Native American that your features would still shine through. I know a girl who is bi-racial (black and white) and she looks exactly like her mom just darker. I just think that love is more important, but that's just me. But you view is interesting nonetheless.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My brother was with an Iranian woman for 15 years. They weren't married, but had a strong committment to each other. In many ways, they are still a couple, and live in the same house, and share cooking and social occasions, but no longer plan a future together. She is gorgeous, talented, very sweet, intelligent, and very liberated for an Iranian woman. Under my brother's influence, she abandoned her Islamic faith, and is now neutral, religiously. When she goes home to visit her mother, in Iran, she always comes back somewhat changed, and they have problems for a few months, while she gets reassimilated into the American culture. She wanted a baby very badly, and my brother doesn't, and that is the issue for them. She is about 20 years younger than he is, and her time is running out.

My brother and I both were always very attracted to people of other races, but never pursued them seriously. Probably our upbringing is to blame, but I can't recall any bigotry at home. I know our grandmother vigorously denied our Native American heritage (our grandfather was 1/2 NA) and always said it wasn't true. We learned a few years ago that it was very true.

Anyway, Viva la Differance'.

• wednesday
    wednesday

"we are americans' u would think we share the same culture-but not so. I have worked too long in people realted job to know that is not true. And i will tell u , i have seen and been treated with gross desrepect due to my culture.If u think u have it made being white in america, not so.

What we see on tv is the average white, or black middle america. Very little else is seen. Growing up. i wondered why my envirmoment was not like the tv sit coms. The reason was i was poor and white. Not until the late 60's i think, did tv ever address different cultures in america.

Certainly,"Friends", "Seinfield" have nothing in comon with "Roseanne"(I know my tv anology is dated, but u get the idea).

we are all americans (thse of us in usa) but we are very different. Many cultures and sub sultures

a few years ago we were invited to a small gather at a very nice home with a pool. One of the elders there, a business man, made a rude comment to my husband "so, i run xxx business, and u are a garbage .collecter" I inserted garbage collector b/c if i said what he really said, my husband could be identifed. The point was, he was soooo far above us. he could not find a point of common interest.. we were beneath him(well i wasn't, he leered at me all night)he was too good for us. now that is the world i know.

Edited by - wednesday on 16 January 2003 15:47:58

• wildfire
    wildfire

WELL HERE GOES GUYS......... mixed races make gorgeous children.... My first husband was arikara (native american) and norweigen..... I have two beautifull children from him...... I am of German descent ..........and then my second husband was from the Sioux tribe of South Dakota.... again 3 beautiful children ......all with brown eyes and one with blonde hair like mine......... AND I ALSO HAVE 4 GORGEOUS GRAND KIDS ... sorry dont mean to braggggg buuuttttt hey that s the way it turned out for me ..... MY LEGACY........... SHALOM

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

How did the "Brain Scan" go????????????

Did they find one?Just kidding....

Hope all is well...

Snoozy...aka Golden Girl

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I think that sometimes white women take advantage of black men.

I've seen too many cases of white women who are total head cases go for black men, simply because they will put up with their crap and will kiss their ass from sunup to sundown.

• found
    found

Danthenman, What the heck is that supposed to mean? Why would a black man put up with a white woman who's a head case? What does the fact that he's black have to do with it? Anyway, re Minimus' question: sure I would. Like most here, it's about the person, not the culture..in fact, the culture difference can be a source of enjoyment if you view it that way. It's all in how you want to see it. I have two sisters married to other races, one is married to a Japanese man and one to a Mexican man. Of course they are both Americans so there is not too much of a culture difference, but enough to keep it interesting. (I mean that in a GOOD way).

• Beck_Melbourne
    Beck_Melbourne

There are some things unique to our culture that makes our culture what it is.

Sometimes when we are amongst our own people, there is a silent understanding...I also find this amongst my own family members and not only when I'm surrounded by people who share the same heritage as myself.

My background is Maori (native New Zealander)...my partner is white Australian. We have had some cultural differences but they have been few and far between.

There have been times when visiting with my inlaws where I have walked into the bathroom and am startled at my own reflection, then I say to myself 'oh yeah that's right, I'm brown' LOL. Being surrounded by white Australians (who are usually more tanned than white anyway) makes me sometimes forget who I am. So when I go back to NZ or when I meet up with other kiwis who share my heritage...I find myself missing that silent understanding.

But to answer the question, I would sooner marry someone from another race then I would my own. I was married to someone from my own race for 14 years...same religion...same age...same everything....but both heading in different directions.

Its all about the journey ahead...not the one behind you.

~Beck~

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Why would a black man put up with a white woman who's a head case?

I don't know why, but they do. There used to be a pretty white girl at my workplace who was exclusive to black men (a fact that she advertised at every opportunity). Her looks were about all she had going for her, she was really very immature, a head case you might say. Well, the fact that she was exclusively black in her tastes in men virtually guaranteed an endless supply of would-be suitors. They were just about lined up to take a crack at her, no joke. I was embarrassed for them.

Just calling it like I see it.

• kelpie
    kelpie

No Question about it.

I am engaged to an Italian and boy do they make the best lovers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit