Would You Marry A Person Of A Different Race?

by minimus 116 Replies latest jw friends

• Buster
    Buster

Absolutely.

There are differences between races and cultures. But those differences can be a very interesting part of a relationship. My family and I are quite white - I can burn in strong moonlight. My first wife was a dark Puerto Rican. Both my sisters married black men.

That is not to say that there aren't issues and difficulties. Cultural differences can crop up in odd and unexpected places. And I think there are places in Boston where my white sisters may be wise to avoid if they are with their black husbands. But my sisters' relationships are going strong. I needed to go to another marriage, and that is strong.

My sense is that if a couple marries for the right reasons they will be fine.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Hey, minimus.....

Why don't you enlighten us with YOUR feelings on this subject?

Funchback (of the bi-racial, married to a bi-racial class)

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

For instance one poster, presumably Caucasian, commented that he had married a Latina. I had mentioned in another post that the US Census had ruled that Latino is not a race but a culture since it spans a group that varies from black to white and shades in between.

Come on Marcos. This US Census "ruling" could apply to any ethnic group. There are very few African Americans that do not have an anglo ancestor. Even us anglos span a group that varies in skin shade. The Census people, I suspect, made a political judgement in this case. And yes, I am German on one side of the family and British Isles on the other side, so I suppose that makes me anglo. Bug

• Buster
    Buster

One more point on race - It depends on when in history you ask the question. At various times (in the U.S.) Italians and Irish were not considered white.

Growing up, my father's mother was sooo Irish, that I thought I was Irish, and that was it. As I grew up I assimilated the fact that my mother's maiden name was Vienneau and her mother's maiden name was Felteau. It was nice find out why I hated myself so much.

• Marcos
    Marcos

Hey Bug,

What you say is true. Census probably did make a political judgement. But it really doesn't alter my contention in this case that "Latino" is not a race. It is a culture.

Marcos

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

But what if people keep doing interracial marriages ..they would all become one race eventually..how boring..save some for the future!..

And concerning the statement that the KH taught not to be a racist...Not the one I was from!...We could associate in the Halls...but not in public..might offend someone!..Course that didn't stop us!...

Snoozy.......

Who still has a secret crush on that light skinned black guy with those magnetic geen eyes! Of course that was over 20 years ago!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

My girlfriend would be really pissed if I did, if by race we mean racial origin. However, that is only skin-deep.

I think cultural differences amount to far more than skin colour or shape of skull, or whatever racial differentiator you want to choose.

My girlfriend is Dutch (sorry CrazyDrinker, she's gone, but why do YOU want a Dutch girl? It's not all liberated sex and reaaly good grass here!), and I can easily come up with twenty cultural differences between Holland and the UK;

1/ The Dutch are less polite, or more open, depending on viewpoint.
    2/ They have differing standards of personal space, and jostle and push in a way that is very hard to deal with if it's not what you're used to.
    3/ The birthday parties are excursions in tedium, they serve you coffee when you walk through the door, normally a signal it's time to leave.
    4/ They think nothing of sitting behind an open window at nigth in a lit room with their curtains open, even if a pavement (sidewalk) carrying pedestrian traffic goes right by it. This make English people itch with anxiety.
    5/ The public toilets have no screen between the urinal and the door.
    6/ The sense of humour is different to the extent it can appear to be absent.
    7/ Conformity is a virtue, for all the balderdash about it being a liberal country, it isn't, it's a pragmatic country.
    8/ 'God damn me' (Gotzerdommer) is the rudest word you can use, fu*k is acceptable as a word almost everywhere.
    9/ Most people have at least Dutch, and English or German to a pretty good standard of comprehension even if they don't talk that well, being fluent in five languages is not exceptional.
    10/ They teach their kids to swim, skate and cycle as soon as they can.
    11/ You never see groups of teenagers outon the streets drinking... they can go to bars.
    12/ Prostitution is legal and controlled.
    13/ Cannabis is 'legal' and controlled.
    14/ They hate Belgans (the English hate the French).
    15/ They love cycling as a sport, and actually use it as an everyday transport to an extent unknown elsewhere in the developed world.

etc., and I'm out of time.

I could equally supply a list differentiating other countries I know enough of and English culture. Race is just a label you can read from the outside. Inside far more differences lie. This can be good, or bad, and often is both, and always potentially interesting

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes it is all interesting about culture. One i find that is often degraded and people are often quite prejudiced toward is poor whites. Being one myself, I'll try and explain. We all laugh at "Poor white trash" jokes, or redneck jokes. When i was growing up , being poor white was next to being black-in the south. Whites are often balmed for many probles here in the usa. In turn, whites themselfs will turn around and blame Poor whites for the problems.check out this link. It is very educational. I guess there are scapegaots in all cultures.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~MA97/price/open.htm

Edited by - wednesday on 16 January 2003 14:48:21

• heathen
    heathen

I think marriage is for religionists though if I decided to have a family and such it might be something I would consider. I think the more important things would be if I found someone sexually attractive and they were someone I thought I could be around 24 hours a day. I do prefer white women but there are some of color that definately made me turn my head but for marriage to be considered it would take more than that .I like to think in terms of a soul mate when it comes to something like that . Someone that shares my intersests and has alot of love.

• bittersweet
    bittersweet

Valis and Golden Girl,where did you guys grow up? Like eyeslice,I grew up in liberal congregations when it came to race.I also think the one good thing I brought out of that religion is that I am not partial to race or culture.Growing up,worldly kids would say things like,"that is such a Jewish name,or that is such a Porteguese name".I would ask them how can you tell?

In our hall,out of all the elders,more than half were in interacial marriages.Out of seven elders,there were 3 black elders married to white women,1 black elder married to a black woman,2 white elders married to white women,and 1 white elder(my step brother)married to a black women.I never thought twice about any of it,plus I was jealous of their kids who had the most beautiful colored skin.The skin white people try to get when they tan in the sun(I usually just get burnt).

One of my biggest crushes was on a black guy.He ended up marrying a white girl too.

I don't think race matters in marriage(though I guess I would admit that it can be difficult in some areas).As long as you are in love,go for it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit