Long Intro From A Long Timer

by hillary_step 185 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Cog,

Well, I know I certainly got a kick out of reading Hillary's very first thread! Your knack for raising the ire of the irrational mind was in place and highly entertaining, even back then. It seems the angry feminists of 2001 have turned into the angry delusional religionists of 2007.

The circle of crap is complete! Happy New Year Hillary!

lol...I missed this first time around. An excellent summation and a belated Happy New Year. I had no idea that you were a groupie back then.

Poor old Pop Tart (Burn), wasting his time trawling years old posts to try to find ammunition against another poster, only to find that the poster he is trying to embarrass does not give an owl's hoot about himself or his detractors.....lol.

HS

• John Doe
    John Doe
    It is no secret that I believe that if the chat utility was cracked open again on the forum most of the tittle-tattle and rubbish posts would disappear overnight.

What are your criteria for classifying such posts?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Outlaw,

Wasn`t Tina a firecracker?!..

lol....Yes she was.

Who can ever forget the 'Tina' and 'Prisca' wars. Those two made WWII look like a fruit fight. If I recall correctly Tina sent me a excellent recipe for gnocchi once, though I am not sure where she is these days. If she has any sense she will be a long way from these Boards and their insanity. Maybe she and Prisca eventually opened an Interior Design store....lol

HS

• Vinny
    Vinny

Folks, you just gotta love Hilary.

Even if he is just old and ornery nowadays.

I say Hilary for President!

Ooops, that one did not quite work out already.

Three cheers for Hilary then.

Long live the Queen!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

John,

What are your criteria for classifying such posts?

Well, you did ask......most of your recent posts for example. You are a bright man but spend far to much time wittering on about nothing at all.

example:

Thread Title: Name the fictional character

Opening post: The poster preceding you reminds you of. Groooaaaaannnnnnnnn........Another twenty five pages of internet doodling clogging up the topics page. HS

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

glad this got bumped

• Priest73
    Priest73

go ahead and repost that about 10 times stilla ;)

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Stilla,

glad this got bumped

I feel so 'supported' knowing that so many lovely, cuddly people are interested in my wee life. HS

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Well, you did ask......most of your recent posts for example. You are a bright man but spend far to much time wittering on about nothing at all.

You mean "too" much time, right? Sorry, couldn't resist.

I can appreciate and respect that you don't get into fluff. However, I can't go along with saying that others should also not like fluff. There are plenty of serious things to think about in all lives, and there are plenty of places to be serious. The converse is also true. There are many groups of topics on this forum. Each one is appropriate in different situations and levels of seriousness.

I find it interesting that you perceive me as spending too much time wittering about nothing. That's the exact opposite that I've be en told my entire life. ;-) I take it you're more of a Renaissance man than a Romantic?

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

John,

I find it interesting that you perceive me as spending too much time wittering about nothing. That's the exact opposite that I've be en told my entire life. ;-)

Well, there you go, yet another person who takes what happens in real life more seriously than what happens on a discussion forum. Congratulations.

I take it you're more of a Renaissance man than a Romantic?

John, I am just me.

On fluff: Threads which require little thought have a place on any discussion forum. When they become more plentiful than they should, they alter the tenor of a discussion Board.

On 'serious' threads: So many of the half-baked, semi-analysed, philosophically inept posts that clutter even serious threads would not have been posted in the past because posters knew that they would be adroitely challenged by those who knew better. So we all thought much more carefullly about what we posted, read other posts VERY carefully before responding to them and in this way the intellectual tone of the Board was elevated.

Those who were loathe to join threads as they were unsure of their viewpoints tended to remain in reading mode until they felt confident enough to make a defense of their views. These days people seem to just doodle and post whatever comes into their heads on a matter with little thought as to whether what they have posted even makes any sense.

I suppose if a person is looking for a place to 'hang out', with minimal challenges to their intellect, then this Board might suit them for a while. But I suspect that the posts most read by lurkers are the very opposite of the ones that do not challenge ones thinking. Those who wish to 'support' and 'lift up' other posters should dwell on this for a while. Its implications are important.

On spelling and grammar: Yes, I am the first to admit that these days I seldom if ever check grammar and spelling before I post. Frankly, it seems a waste of additonal effort. I have a Degree with Honors in English, so I suppose that I should be ashamed, but I am not.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit