Long Intro From A Long Timer

by hillary_step 185 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Tina,

If you feel that within my posting I am defending the WTS or the teachings that set it aside from Scriptual Truth, you have reacted rather than read. From Masada to Mons anybody who yields their conscience to others will either become a victim or make a victim. With all respect, your views of political parties and other religions seem to be based on a rather narrow Northern American viewpoint. I was in a Middle East country in the 70's when an innocent young women, who had comitted adultery was beheaded. It was a sickening sight a product of an extremist religio/political system that thrives today. Apart from a few notable exceptions, starting with an innocent Christ, I see no innocence in any human structures or systems but I see many innocent individuals attached to them who need love and patience.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Firstly, I want you to know that I know you are NOT Friend. "Friend" is my friend and I'm quite aware of his personal circumstances right now.

: I have found in life that nothing is completely good nor completely bad.

That goes for Adolph Hitler, too. He liked dogs. But seriously, and in context can you honestly say that the "good" done by the WTS outweighs the "bad" done the WTS in a way that the "good" they've offered makes it worthwhile for folks to continue and put up with the "bad." In my heart-of-hearts I cannot see it so. If you disagree, please step forward and present your reasons why you think the JW faith has more good to offer than bad. Their religious leaders lie to them and they KNOW they lie. They doctor the bound-volumes to suit themselves. Every prediction they've ever made was wrong and generations of human families have been wrecked due to their carelessness. They claim to speak directly for God, but they are unwilling to assume any responsibility for their mistakes, yet they viciously enforce shunning and all its attendant tragegies for those who DARE question their words. They protect child-rapists in many jurisdictions. And I have a LOT more.

: Some of the most wonderful good hearted people I have met have been JW’s

Me, too. But that is DESPITE their religion and religious leaders, not BECAUSE of their religion and religious leaders. This is a very important distiction because the same is true in any and all relgions. And cults.

: and some of the most spiteful and deceitful that I have rubbed shoulders with have also graced this strange collective edifice.

Right. See my comment above.

: Is this experience any different from any other organization, religion, business, political party, neighborhood, indeed individual? I suspect not.

Right. That means that JWs are not the least big unique, doesn't it?

That's all I have to say for now, except welcome to this board, and please feel free to share! We are a varied group and many of us are unfettered with dogma anymore, so we tend to revel in that freedom of speech and possibly abuse it!

In other words, this ain't no Kingdom Hall!

Farkel

• Tina
    Tina

Hs,
    Actually,Im rather well traveled,and I stand by what I said in my posts. I always take the global view......the atrocity you saw in the middle east is comparable to the atrocities perpetrated by the wts: the Malawi political card disaster
    innocent children dying due to a specious and nonsensical medical policy. SO please dont take the high road with me. There is very little positive value in being a cult member. The costs emotionally,physically.psychologically,economically,academically,socially,spiritually out weigh any good-this is a case where it's not equally good and bad-the bad far outstrips any good.
    I think saying everything in life has good and bad is rather ingenuous,,,,,,,,,case in point comfs comment,which I noticed you had no pat answer for.
    I still view your take as excusogetics,
    Welcome to the board,Tina

• LoneWolf
    LoneWolf

COMF & Farkel ---

Come on, now, cut her some slack. It takes no talent to nitpick what she says and find fault with it. We all have been very familiar with how complicated that scene is and the difficult decisions that have to be made.

There's plenty of weeds in that outfit, but it does no one any good to pull up the wheat too. Plus, her opinion is a sincere one, which, accurate or not, should be respected for that alone.

By the way, good to see you two over here.

Hillary --- I'm going to post something under another heading that I think you may be interested in. I'd like your opinion and that of as many others as would care to comment.

LoneWolf

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

hillary_step,

Enjoyed reading your post. I am no lover of the Governing Body but if what you say about them is true, then there may be hope for some of them. Personally though it is very hard to understand how they can envision themselves as Christ's right hand and feel the weight of their responsibility yet continue to fail so badly.

They may work hard but to what end? Is it really to serve God?Then, they are of all men most to be pitied since the God they claim to serve has not answered their prayers! Why? Because while the name of God is on their lips the name of the Organization is in their hearts. They serve the Organization not God!

IW

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

FARKEL,

Thank you for your kind welcome and reasoned thoughts. Actually Hitler liked some people too! He seems to have spent his last hours in the bunker making sure his cleaning lady and secretary had a life pension and NO I am not defending Hitler. The post that I sent to Tina will I hope also clear up the issue as to whether I am here to defend the WTS. I am not. If you are viewing me as a 'soft' target well, you are playing darts without a board. The paths that many of you have walked since the internet revolution have been walked by others before you and not just JW. I read a book many years ago containing the thoughts of a Catholic priest who became disgusted by the excesses of the Catholic Church and left in disgust, writing an 'apostate' book. His experiences were starlingly familiar to my own at the time and mimicked many that I have read on this board. It was written in 1895.

Anyway, its turning light here, the sunset in the morning for me, so I will retire for now.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

ISLANDWOMEN,
    Thank you for your welcome. One last post.

Though I do not wish to judge, I do not see the GB being Christ's right hand. What I was saying, if you read my post carefully, is that THEY are absolutely convinced that they are the right hand of Christ. If that issue is not understood nothing else about the WTS can. Once they are convinced of this point they are able with impunity to take on the mantle of dictators, scriptual interpretors et all. and even more sinister misuse Truth to protect the boundaries of what THEY SEE as the truth.

I hope that this clarifies the point that I was attempting to make.

COMF - serial-killer! Well if he keeps a tidy garden and pays his taxes, that's some good isnt it. Every man or women is capable of anything and we all have good and evil carefully balanced within us, even you Comf, is the point that I was trying to make and by which I stand.

Definately my last post this morning.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

hillary_step,

Hi! I wrote: "they can envision themselves as Christ's right hand" I did not think that you felt they were!

IW

• Farkel
    Farkel

Hi Lonewolf,

: Come on, now, cut her some slack.

"Her?"

: It takes no talent to nitpick what she says and find fault with it. We all have been very familiar with how complicated that scene is and the difficult decisions that have to be made.

Was there anything I said that could be considered to be "nitpicking?" If so, what was it?

: There's plenty of weeds in that outfit, but it does no one any good to pull up the wheat too.

Once again, I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I said some JWs are good DESPITE the organization they slave for, and not because of it. Surely you agree with that, and if you don't, well then, please explain why.

: Plus, her opinion is a sincere one, which, accurate or not, should be respected for that alone.

Did I show any personal disrespect for the poster? If so, how?

: By the way, good to see you two over here.

Good to you see here, too. Now, if I can only figure out that cryptic mail you sent me. A mutual friend of ours said you were pretty kewl. (He's talked to you on the phone.) I'm being stalked by another jerk on this board now, so I'm a little reluctant to take you up on your challenge just yet. Maybe I will later. You're ok. Someone I totally trusts says so. That's good enough for me!

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

: you are viewing me as a 'soft' target well, you are playing darts without a board.

With that simple statement, you just betrayed yourself. No JW would ever make a statement like that. I re-read my post, and made sure that I said nothing that would evoke such a response from you.

You are not that clever. I never attack sincere people and I never attack people who are doing their best to be honest.

You are foiled again, troll. The funny thing is, you must like getting discovered because you always do.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit