VA shooting suspect was raised a JW! He mentions it on his Twitter account

by WingCommander 324 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon
    Self-inflicted gunshots are also more likely if you own a gun, because if you own a gun, you're likely to choose that method if you decide to take your own life. That doesn't mean owning a gun increases the risk of suicide. It just increases the likelihood that should you decide to commit suicide, you'll choose that option.

So again, the access to a gun changes the outcome, not the precursor.

Whether you feel down or feel angry, having access to a firearm changes the situation into a deadly one.

Remove the too easy access to firearms and you solve a lot of problems.

The honest gun argument should be "we know a lot of innocent people will be shot and killed but we think it's a price worth paying so we can walk round feeling like we're John Wayne".

Use that argument and I'd at last have a modicum of respect for the position (still stupid, but at least honest). Just don't try and sell us the BS that guns make things safer other than when they are in the hands of law enforcement and trained professionals (and lets not forget the claims that they cause unnecessary deaths too).

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber

Owning a gun DOES increase the risk of suicide, because it has an 85% effectiveness rate as compared to 35% for the next highest thing (strangulation). Suicide is also, most often triggered by manageable or curable mental illness (something Simon thinks "doesn't matter" for whatever reason), which is actually even more damning to the pro-gun cause (since many people who have attempted suicide regret it later when their mind is more clear, having it immediately more easy for people to commit suicide is not really a good thing).

edit: While there is a self selection bias in play for those that own guns, that bias does not account for most gun injuries and deaths to happen in accidental/domestic situations as opposed to "those evil people out to get you from outside."

• cappytan
    cappytan
    But the same group is now applauding the idea that the government should be able to boot down the doors of 11 million Americans (probably affecting 40+ million families), lock them up without trial and then dump them in a foreign country they have never even been to.

That's not true. Granted, there is some overlap in the demographics, however I know many gun owners that don't agree with that approach to immigration law enforcement, and neither do 3/4 of the so-called "gun zombies" I associate with. And I'm in Texas...so you can imagine what their political persuasion is.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

The reason there hasn't been another 9/11 style hijacking, is because the US Government has ARMED US Federal Air Marshals on a good majority of the high-risk flights!!!!!!! Air Marshals carrying Sig Sauer pistols!!!

Gotta love the call of, "Gun lovers are cowards! They need to FEEL safer!"

I ask you again, did the Nazis disarming Germany make the people any safer?

Cinemas doing searches at the door disarms everyone and makes them FEEL safe. TRUE, because that's an illusion. Once inside, an unarmed criminal or terrorist then goes to one of the EXIT doors, opens it up, and lets his terrorist buddy with an AK-47 stroll right in, to open fire on an unarmed group of scared SHEEPLE. Nice work, Barney Fife!

• Billyblobber
    Billyblobber

the pacifist liberal pussified call

...this is why nothing can be done about it. The NRA lobbied, politicians politicized the issue, making it an either/or, zero sum, right wing/left wing thing as opposed to a nuanced issue that can be improved to some degree.

• Simon
    Simon
    Frazzled: Your right to cower under your table at a restaurant when some Jihadist walks in with an AK and you can do NOTHING, doesn't impede upon my right to whip out my .45 ACP 1911 (AKA: phallic symbol), blow away the terrorist asshole, and save your hide.

When has that happened? Strange that for all the guns already floating around, it rarely happens compared to "man runs amok and shoots strangers dead". You are living in a fantasy world. Go back to your XBox and leave real-life to the grown-ups.

The first action of a dictatorship or oppressive society, is to disarm the population and imprison the intellectuals. No thanks! I'll be keeping my Right to Bear Arms. You can cower in fear. You, and others holier than thou attitudes and intellectual snobbery mean ZILCH to criminals, thugs, and terrorists bent on having their way

So you surely must object to Trump then? Funny how so many of the gun-loving Republican party don't.

Ask the (surviving) Jews how being disarmed by the Nazis worked out? Ask the Israelis if they are going to throw down arms? How about the peace-loving Swiss? Every Swiss Citizen serves a stint in the military, and also has a sidearm in their home. When is the last time anyone messed with that country?

Switzerland was neutral in the war. They were the nazis bankers. It was nothing to do with having a few guns.

The problem of gun mentality is identical in the psychology to vaccinations. In every other country people voluntarily get their kids vaccinated because they know it is the best option. Sure, the best option for any one person is that they don't and everyone else does ... but sensible people know that everyone thinking that will result in no vaccinations and lots of unnecessary deaths so as a society people get vaccinations and they work. Unarguable facts back this up and are not accepted by the self-focused Americans who just want to deny the truth.

With guns it's the same (but reversed) - the best option is that you have a gun and no one else does. But anyone with sense knows there is no way that will happen and there is no way to prevent people who shouldn't have guns getting them if they are freely available. The best solution for all is for no one to have them (equivalent to everyone getting vaccinated). Again, the facts are irrefutable and only debated by people who don't want to accept the simple reality.

Just admit it - you have been fed a diet of fear and paranoia all your life and you are afraid and having a gun makes you feel safer. Don't try and tell us you are going to save anyone from terrorists - you'll be in the corner pissing your pants with all the other gun owners.

Imagine the french train with more guns. That would not have had as good an outcome.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

What more can America do about "gun control"? It's not the 1980's anymore. People can't walk into a gun store, buy a fully automatic Uzi or Mach-10, M-16, etc, fill out a "mail-in" form with a fake ID, and walk out with the fully auto sub-machine gun. Those days are OVER. We have instant background checks. You can't own a fully automatic weapon, silencer, etc without a thorough background check, expensive tax stamps/permits, and without a lot of money, period!!!

I feel background checks should be tied into ones mental medical history though. Currently, because of HIPPA laws, they are NOT. Only if you were "involuntarily committed", does mental illness show up on a background check before purchasing a weapon. That is the ONLY "loop-hole" that I am aware of in this country. Gun Show "loop holes", etc are pure myth, or are being done illegally to begin with. (I've never seen in 20+ years of attending gun shows).

• Simon
    Simon
    Cinemas doing searches at the door disarms everyone and makes them FEEL safe. TRUE, because that's an illusion. Once inside, an unarmed criminal or terrorist then goes to one of the EXIT doors, opens it up, and lets his terrorist buddy with an AK-47 stroll right in, to open fire on an unarmed group of scared SHEEPLE. Nice work, Barney Fife!

People in the UK walk around rarely fearing they will be shot because they know guns are so rare. You cannot protect against every eventuality all the time without having armed people on every street corner and those armed people become part of the danger.

You have to accept that life is about percentages, not absolute guarantees. Sure, you can come up with any number of "what if" scenarios of doom but looking holistically at things shows that removing guns from general society produces the best and safest outcome.

As evidence, how many mass cinema shootings have happened in the UK?

• Simon
    Simon
    What more can America do about "gun control"? It's not the 1980's anymore. People can't walk into a gun store, buy a fully automatic Uzi or Mach-10, M-16, etc, fill out a "mail-in" form with a fake ID, and walk out with the fully auto sub-machine gun. Those days are OVER. We have instant background checks. You can't own a fully automatic weapon, silencer, etc without a thorough background check, expensive tax stamps/permits, and without a lot of money, period!!!

Nice attempt at switch-and-bait. The difference between automatic and semi-automatic is semantics.

In fact, I think semi-automatic is more dangerous in an active-shooter situation than someone using all their ammo quickly.

Why not have all weapons with similar controls? Don't the bullets coming from either weapon kill with the same force or do they have a little certificate attached?

Funny too how the news is all about mental illness, not the clear racist motivation of the shooter.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Hey Simon, who was it again who stood up to an armed terrorist with an AK-47 shooting people on a train in France in the past week? Was it French citizens? Where were the Mounties???? I do believe it was (3) American Military servicemen on leave.

Don't tell me that kind of crap (terrorist on train, etc) won't happen in the USA and Canada, because it is coming. You are living in a bubble if you don't think it's coming. We've had our Pearl Harbor. We've had our 9/11.

For the record, I do NOT support Trump. I also do NOT support the Patriot Act, or the taking of anyone by force to GITMO style prisons to be waterboarded. Instead, terrorists or those aiding terrorists, should be tried, convicted, and then promptly taken out back for execution by firing squad. They want to be Martyrs so bad? No problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit