Whats the dumbest reason youve been counseled?

by avishai 155 Replies latest jw experiences

• evita
    evita

In my late teens, my best friend was an elders daughter from another congregation. She wore a ton of makeup, had her hair professionally colored, and tooled around in a 2-door sporty car. She was an only child and quite priveleged compared to the rest of us poor slobs. We used to travel around together, occassionally visiting family friends. Once we visited a family of very strict dubs. I can't remember how we knew them. One elderly member had a photo of the pope and Hitler during WWII that he showed us. After we left, they couldn't find the picture so they accused my friend of taking it. I remember being spoken to by the elders and they said my friend was suspected because she wore so much makeup. Well, of course they found the pic and I don't remember hearing any apologies. Despite her "worldly" appearance she was a loyal dub. I was the one who left.
    Another time I was counseled for having lunch at school with an unbaptized girl who was engaged to marry an unbeliever. Bad association. I was so lonely at school and she was very nice to me.
    I was told I couldn't aux pioneer because my mag placement was too low. They were right on this one, I had no business pioneering because I hated field service and was terrified of dogs and people.
    Then there was the time we had a new pioneer in our cong. We were a rural congregation and he was a hip kid from the city. Everyone worshipped at his feet. I went out in service with him and he drove recklessly and was very insulting. So I told my mom I wouldn't go out with him. She told the elders what happened and I was counselled for not respecting a brother and pioneer and can I try to be less judgemental. I think he got a slap on the hand later for sleeping with the PO's wife.
    This whole topic makes me very sad remembering how misguided and repressed we all were.
    Eva

• scrubmaster
    scrubmaster

My wife who was a JW divorced me. I moved to another area and I got to joking around with a sister about, If I was not in the situation I would like to take you to lunch (since I was not scripturally free I was not allowed to be out with a sister even on friendly terms). The sisters mention it to the elders , who then took it upon themselves to not let me pray before the congregation. However I only found out about it when I ask an elder why I had not be called on to pray in the congregation. To which I said to the elders, how come one of the elders did not come to me and ask me my side of the story. To which he did not reply. Of course as far as I am concerned they can keep their privileges.(this happen several years ago)

• undercover
    undercover
    This same CO asked a sister if she had been out jogging that morning and when she said yes, he said he thought so because he felt the earth trembling. Then he told her that her time would be better suited doing something else.

Man, what a jerk.

Reminds me of one CO we had who was a stickler for grooming. At one Sat. morning meeting for service he was arranging car groups and he saw this one brother who had an exceptionally heavy beard. Even at 9:15 in the morning he had a good start on a 5:00 shadow. The CO looked at him and then asked him if had shaved that morning. The brother confirmed that he had indeed shaved. The CO then told him, "Well, you might want to take one step closer to the razor next time." and sent him home to re-shave.

Funny, I had forgotten all about that until I read your experience.

• justsomedude
    justsomedude
    This whole topic makes me very sad remembering how misguided and repressed we all were.

No kidding. I cant believe the amount of control over my life I allowed those tools to have.

I got talked to once for not having enough return visits. I was putting in 90+ hours a month and working full time too, had the boring 4 door service car and made every meeting, but apparently just because people didnt want to listen that nonsense and I was too honest than to lie on my service report, I wasnt doing good enough. I didnt get more than 4 hours sleep a night for 9 months because of the schedule I was keeping.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Come one it's not sad, it is funny. Like having a job where you are surrounded by freaks.

• evita
    evita

Yeah, you're right looking_glass
    I can laugh now but it sure wasn't funny back then!
    Eva

• Spectre
    Spectre

This one elder got furious at me when he found out I was taking a life drawing class(naked people). Most of the time the model was a guy that looked like OpenFireGlass, but in this one elder was so convinced that I must be going home and whacking it thinking about this guy that he nearly blew a fuse. And here I always thought it was a little weird that all the teenage girls in the congregation would be over at his house taking showers with his daughters.

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Where do I begin?

An elder said I asked too many questions about the Bible - I was 14.

For going to see Jurrasic Park after the meeting with another JW - The elder said it showed gross disrespect for spritiual things to go to a worldly movie right after being 'fed' by the FDS!

3 elders pulled me in the back room for eating and still living with my df'ed mom - I was 18.

For going to college - and I had the nerve to graduate.

For listening to Def Leppard - the elder said the music has demonic overtones - whatever.

For offending an elder's wife because my dress wasn't 2 inches below the knee, so I wore it again, was counseled again.

For crying when a friend was df'ed, they said for crying I had a bad attitude about Jehovah's 'loving' df'ing arrangement.

Happy to be free - V Sky

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

bump!

• grumblecakes
    grumblecakes

mine was for giving a sister "foreplay" dice at her briddal shower. fi got asked where did you actually go to buy these?!?!?! normal departmet stores do not have these?!?!? i was a pioneer at the time! lol!

ahhh good times!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit