I'm banned from the Silentlambs Website

by Trauma_Hound 138 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Brummie
    Brummie
    One of the reasons that it is better to use people who are not x-jw's is because they have a measure of separation from the issue. In other words, they can be more objective and less clouded by emotion

That is bang on! To be able to disassociate from the issues he is dealing with is a bare necessity! Its mentally draining for someone who isnt a child abuse victim to deal with the issues constantly so imagine someone who is a victim of such having to deal with all the issues on a daily basis! Its good to have people around who have first hand expereince but to put the whole weight on these is going to lead to mental stress.

NL2 - 3. He desparately want his SL Org to be accepted by the WT Society.

That doesnt make sense, as if the WT would ever eccept SL Org...nah, even BB knows that aint right.

4. He wants current JW's to seek out the SL Org for help, and he knows that they will not associate with xjw's because that would be associating with "known apostates".

Thats a valid thought, its the current JWs who are not allowed to speak out so it shouldnt be surprising that he is appealing to them should it? Isnt that one of the main purposes of SL?

Whyhideit:

Please, do not support everything BB says for the sake of just thinking "I can not accept anything negative about silentlambs and must support each thing."

I personally do not know anyone who thinks along these lines...people who disagree with those who constantly attack BB are not necessarily agreeing with BB on everything. If there's anything negative about BB it is brought out and said by all sides.

Brummie

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

I had the impression to use an ex-JW was to assure that whoever the Webmaster was would remain unbiased, period.

I understand this completely. For if he employs someone who is non-judgmental I feel many will benefit from this to include Bill.

I appreciate everyones distress that has been hurt, but to continue to speculate and pass judgment IMO is making one look to have an ax to grind.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I understand that BB needs people who are not exjws, but I also feel he needs exjw survivors as well as current jw's abuse survivors. After all, those who are being abused need someone who can relate to them.

If SilentLambs is to be an organization, it has to be handled as such.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Cassi, I don't have an axe to grind. I am just trying to understand it is all.

Edited by - Lilacs on 7 January 2003 0:27:58

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I don't have an axe to grind, I'm merely conversating. What the hell do I care what he does with silentlambs, I was DF'd anyway, haha.

That's what we adults do, discuss things, it's a funny human feature.

• whyhideit
    whyhideit

I do not have an axe to grind either. I am just not impressed with someone actually saying

Also as mentioned people associated with silentlambs have discussed it and we have come to the decision to not use xjw's or forum posters as webmasters for silentlambs website.

That is kind of lumping everyone together, based on the bad experience with only a small percentage. I have to think that some of the Ex-Jw's out there are good people. By the way, if AA can run just about the entire organization with recovering alcoholics. What is wrong with Ex-Jw's that they can not do the same thing?

By the way, who are ...

people associated with silentlambs

Is there a board of directors, as this phrase would indicate?

• RevMalk
    RevMalk
    Is there a board of directors, as this phrase would indicate?

Yes, there's a Board of Directors, Bill and his wife. And that's all there'll ever be.

The way I see it.

• teejay
    teejay

You're not really surprised by today's events are you, Charlie?

I mean... you saw this coming, right? After all... you know who you're dealing with. Right?

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

Well Rev, looks like SilentLambs will fall down flat on it's face. Then you pick up the pieces and take over from there. RevMalk gets my vote as being the new leader to help the abused survivors and those still being abused.

I would also vote that TH take care of the media things and Rev do all the talking.

What you all think?

Yizuman

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Trama Hound:

From your post you have excellent media qualifications. Should one of my not-for-profit clients need a Seattle based media guy, I'll give 'em your email!

Let me clarify something: while I do think it is always good to have team members who are not as emotionally connected to the issue (e.g. x-jw's) that does not mean that they all should be. If an x-jw has excellent qualifications in one area, then hire him in that one area. But, it should still be done in a business like manner, with a contract, remuneration, set tasks and deadlines. Otherwise the whole thing becomes chaotic.

I really don't know what went on between you and Bill Bowen, but on list of both of your good qualities, many others would come above cool thinking. (Don't flame me for that, I'm being honest with you ) I do think that the conclusion that not using x-JW's is an automatic labelling of them as "untrustworthy" is an emotional reaction, not a rational one.

I've watched all the recent developments without commenting on them, but it's really amazing how many of these same types of situations you see in young businesses and not-for-profits, where one driven person starts the entity, then becomes overwhelmed, but doesn't want to (or doesn't have the systems in place) to delegate tasks. What is necessary is make the step from working in the business, to working on the business, and it's difficult.

Illustration: Your local Mom and Pop burger place makes really good burgers. McDonalds makes shit. So how come McDonalds now has a bazzilion outlets, and Mom and Pop after 30 years still have only one? Well, take a look at Mom and Pops place, and you'll see them right in there, frying the burgers, waiting the tables, working hard. They're working in the business, and it takes all their time. They're so busy it's all they can do to run one place, let alone open another.

Ray Kroc on the other hand, worked on his business. Instead of frying burgers, he set up training systems down to the smallest detail, so that employees knew what they were doing because they were qualified. Then, when everything was organised, he just popped up clones of the original, and sat back and watched the results flow in and McDonalds grow and grow.

That's how successful operations are run. Should you start your own org. (and I wish you the best if you do), getting the systems and people in place first will make the chances of success much greater. Most people don't do this, and then making the transition is difficult. It's why most small businesses fail. It's why Bill Bowen is so stressed and overwhelmed. And at this stage he needs trained and qualified people, not unqualified volunteers as most x-jw's are.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit