Salvadoran JW house cleaner STOLD my homemade JAM

by Cappuccino OC 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

Yup,

I have a cleaning lady because I had surgery on my left arm and I have a cast. I hired her because I thought I could trust her.

I gave her my house key. (Big mistake).

While my duaghter and I where asleep, she used my house key to come in and steal my last 4 homemade blackberry jams that I made for my grandmother last August.

She just helped herself to them. Her sisterinlaw was leaving to California in the wee hours of Monday so Sunday night she came in without asking if she could have them.

I had made them for my 83 year old grandmother. I'm heading to Calif. next month. I was going to mail them but it would have cost me $32.00 dollars.

When I picked the blackberries I accidentally got stung with Stinging Nettles & my hands hurt for a couple of days.

She then told me Monday night what she had done. She wasn't feeling guilty or anything. I had no idea what to do. My jaw just dropped. I was irate. I then told her, "I can't believe I slept through it all. A robber can break into my house and I don't even feel it." She didn't get it.

I then talked to her hubby the MS. I told him that what his wife did was "breaking in" and "stealing". He got irate at me. He said he couldn't beleive I was making such a big deal about a couple jars of "jam". I tried to explain things to him & he said, "I don't want to hear your story. What do you want me to do?" I told him I need my jams back because they are for my grandmother; she needs to ask foregiveness for breaking in and stealing and I Want my house key back.

I used a bit of their own medecine on them by telling him, "the bible states that he who is faithful in the minimum is faithful in the maximum; and when someone committs a bad thing then their has to be acts of redemption."

He had the odacity to say, "You're blowing things out of proportion." Many brothers/sisters can vouch for her character." I then told him I'm sure she has a good character but I'm referring to WHAT she DID last Sunday night.

Then he said, "you're not applying the biblical scriptures correct." I said, well I can apply Ceasar's law by contacting the police and filing a report of the break in and burglary."

He then got upset and said he'd have to get back to me but not to call the police on his wife.

I was so emotional distraught. I picked the blackberries; got stung by stinging nettles; I canned my jam in special jars. Then they get stolen a couple weeks before my trip to Calif. My grandmother is expecting her jam. It's a tradition that I do every year for her.

I was so upset; I felt violated. I cried & cried. I can't believe I trusted her. I'm not DF but I'm inactive. She doesn't know that I will never go back.

To top it off, my left arm is in a cast till the 12-03-02 & it's not like I can pick blackberries. THey are seasonal.

What do I do? Do I file charges? I got my house key back. Her help was only temporary until my cast came off.

Capp

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Boy Capp, sounds like you're really in a jam!

Seriously, I hope she gives it back.

• blondie
    blondie

Cappucino,

So she is a JW? And she took your property? I don't think this is a case of breaking or entering since she had a key unless she came in at a time not pre-arranged by you. But it would be theft. The police would want to know the dollar value of what was stolen. If it is under $50, I doubt they would do anything other then tell you to get a new housekeeper and get your key back. I would ask for the jam back.

Then get a new housekeeper, one that is bonded and preferably not a JW.

Blondie (one reason why I would never hire a JW)

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I take it she's legally in the country and working? Make sure the husband knows you ARE going to call the cops if you don't get those jars back. You can have her arrested for trespassing, if not theft - she let herself inside yourself outside the hours you gave her permission to use the key. As for getting the key back, forget it - change the locks. By now she has a copy of the key AND a grudge against you for bringing her husband into it.

• ballistic
    ballistic

She is either a complete idiot, or has a criminal mind to do such a thing. Like you said, it is not simply the jam, it is the fact she was creeping round your house at night. What nerve!!! I would tell her you want serious compensation for your trouble PLUS something to buy for your relative or you will go to the police. She will probably do this and will be glad you didn't say elders.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

Capp

I am sorry to hear of all your troubles. I would call the police and tell them that she entered your home without permission and took items from you. She admitted the crime to you and I would tell the police likewise. The nerve of some people! It does not seem as if you got anywhere trying to reason with her husband.

The one thing I would suggest is that you leave the race card out of it. Things were taken from you and it makes no difference IMHO if she were Salvadorian, white or purple.

I hope all is returned to you so your grandmother can enjoy what was intended for her.

Hope you feel better soon. And all is returned to you.

((((((( Capp )))))))

Edited by - cassiline on 23 November 2002 15:59:28

• Mum
    Mum

Interesting post. I'm sorry you got her husband involved, though and don't understand why you would do such a thing BECAUSE if her JW husband is like the one I had, he may defend her to you but will be much harder on her than the police would be. If something like this happens in the future, I think it would be best to file a report with the police and let them do their job. They might do a better job of persuading her to give the jam back than you could.

I also don't understand why her nationality was mentioned in the title of the post. If you had a Swedish housekeeper, what would be the significance?

Anyway, it would be a good idea put another lock on the door that you use only at night or when you don't want anyone else to have access to your house if you're going to give the next housekeeper your key.

When a person belongs to a high control group or lives with a bully or tyrant, she has little opportunity to learn right from wrong. Your housekeeper appears to be a prime example of this phenomenon. She does not seem to care that what she did was wrong and she and her husband can't seem to deal with the single event versus making assertions about "character." People who live in an environment where they are monitored, they often go nuts when their equivalent of Mommy and Daddy are not watching. So, it is not a good idea to place too much trust in people who have little experience in making their own choices and accepting the consequences.

I'm sorry for what happened. I know the care and love that goes into making something special for someone you cherish. It's a tough lesson.

Regards,

SandraC

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

Hi everyone,

I totally understand that her being salvadoran has nothing to do with it. I'm latina my self; I was born in Mexico but raised in the states. I thought it could have been a cultural difference that I just diddn't understand.

Most born & raised Latins don't consider me a true Latina for having been raised in the states. My paternal family is from Texas and my maternal family from Guadalajar, Jalisco, Mexico.

I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt. But everyone that I talked to has told me that taking "items" big or small without permission is stealing and not cultural.

I am sorry that I got her hubby involved. I wanted him to help me speak to her in a way that she would acknowledge that what she did was wrong (stealing & entering with out permission).

But he blew me away. Remeber I'm inactive so I don't know a thing. How dare I use biblical scriptures if I don't go to meetings. He defended her & excused her actions. He told me that I was not a "good" JW and true chrisitan & so & so on.

He's on her side. I gave up trying to reason with him.

I can't get my jams back because she sent them to California Monday during the wee hours with her sister in law for her mother. The jams are long gone.

Luckily, my key can't be duplicated. It says on it "Do not Duplicate."

Bummed out,

Capp

• Cappuccino OC
    Cappuccino OC

I have no idea what homemade blackberry jam sells for. The emotional value is greater than $50.00. Ff I were to charge $10.00 (the amount I pay her per hour) and not the amount that I make $29.00 per hour as a graduate-clinician.

It would be two hours for picking.$20.00

One hour for prepping.= $10.00

Two hours for canning. $20.00

The jars are 1.00 a piece $4.00

That would be a total of $54.00 not including sentimental value.

Capp

edited for math correction

So I'm a Graduate Student Speech Language Clinician and not a mathmatician

Edited by - Cappuccino OC on 23 November 2002 17:34:26

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

((((((Capp)))))))

I'm not surprised anymore by what jws do. I know you put a lot of hard work (with love) into making those jams. And you are right, they are long gone. BUT, didn't God's law state that a stealer had to compensate 7 times the thing stolen. Well, imo, the least she should do is pay back 28 jars of the best jam you can pick out in the store. It would never replace your homemade ones, but maybe it will teach her a lesson about stealing.

Hugs,

j2bf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit