Is it wrong for a white to marry a black?

by gumby 101 Replies latest jw friends

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

it's sad that people can't see that we are all really ONE race:

It's called HUMAN.

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

My 2cents

I have to agree local matters. My families factory in OH has mainly older people working in it - ie: ones who grew up when segragation was still active. The "N" word is used all too often and for a general description of anyone black. That makes me sick. Cali and NY are way more integrated than the rest of the country and it shows. I think you see a large decrease in racisism in younger people because we never lived through segragation.

I'm jealous of mixed (black/white) and hispanic people. It would be nice to not have to go to the tanning bed

My 84 year old grandmother says, "you don't see a blue jay mating with a robin..." I tell her, "they're both birds aren't they?" Unless you live in the "south" and "plains" states, mixed couples are not an odd sight.

I have a frat bro who lives in Sacramento - god I would love to live out there, it is so beautiful. It would be nice to quit getting my rims smashed from potholes and constant road construction also.

I find it amazing that JWs can say there are not prejudice when they hate anyone who's not a JW............. Well I guess they hate any color of person if they're not JW........maybe they aren't

TT

• cellomould
    cellomould

Just in case no one has mentioned this already (I haven't read ALL the replies )...

Africa has the earth's most racially diverse populations. That's to be expected, actually, because it is the cradle of humanity. Humans have been inhabiting Africa longer than any where else. And it goes without saying...Africa is a very large continent with many countries, so 'African' is not a nationality or race as the Eurocentric view would see it.

By the way, did you know that Madagascar is mostly populated by Polynesians?

The people may be dark-skinned, but they are related, not to Africans on the continent, but rather to Indonesians, etc...

In this month's Scientific American, there is a great article about the evolution of skin color:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Skin Deep (Buy at the Archive) By Nina G. Jablonski and George Chaplin Human skin color has evolved to be dark enough to prevent sunlight from destroying the nutrient folate but light enough to foster vitamin D production

http://www.sciam.com/issue.cfm

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

cellmould

• Swan
    Swan
    it's sad that people can't see that we are all really ONE race:

It's called HUMAN.

Sad indeed.

Tammy

• gumby
    gumby

TTboy; I find it amazing that JWs can say there are not prejudice when they hate anyone who's not a JW............. Well I guess they hate any color of person if they're not JW.

Well said my friend. Prejudice is prejudice. White, black, Witness, non Witness.....same deal.

• nilfun
    nilfun

Some people actually believe that "mixed race" couples
    should think twice about having children? Why? Because
    some ignorant fools will try and make life hard for their children?
    To decide not have children just because their racial composition
    is, to me, rather sad.

The following is a very short list of people whose parents,
    I am glad to say, did not allow that kind of negative thinking
    stop them from having children:

Anthony Quinn
    Benjamin Bratt
    Derek Jeter
    Brandon Lee
    Keanu Reeves
    Jennifer Tilly
    Tiger Woods
    The Rock
    Sean Lennon
    Halle Berry
    Thandie Newton
    Lisa Bonet
    Lynda Carter

Edited by - nilfun on 7 October 2002 11:9:31

• benext
    benext

No.

• Michael3000
    Michael3000

Wow - neat thread, especially since I am a "white" man and, in just 12 short days, will be marrying a "black" woman.

Couple of things:

• Those quotations from the Society's publications are very telling. What they REALLY say to the members of the R&F that are bigoted is: "It's OK to be uncomfortable with the idea of interracial marriage, as long as you don't share those feelings with others. God does not discriminate, but we are shackled with these IMPERFECT HUMAN EMOTIONS, and therefore, don't feel too bad if you can't get along with Black folks - it'll all work itself out in Jehovah's due time." When I was at Bethel, there were quite a few white/black, white/Hispanic, white/Asian couples - both at HQ and (more so) out in the surrounding congs. A hot topic was the concept of "how much more persecution they must receive", etc., and I also heard comments from white "brothers" along the lines of "Yeah, she's beautiful and spiritual, and stuff - but I couldn't marry a black sister." LOL! The small-mindedness boggled me! In "Jehovah's Organization" (TM), what better way to show the world how "unified" JW's were, how it MUST be the Truth (TM), since we are not even bothered by the racial constraints of the "world" - or so I thought, then. Funny, how many qualifications they always put on this "Christian love" they supposedly were the best examples of! Sad how many were saddled with this very conditional form of love - including my own family - but that's another story, children.

• Don't ignore or hate your roots, but learn from them - then share that with those that are different from you.

• Embrace everything that makes you different from everyone else, but don't sequester yourself from the rest of the world. To do so would mean that you're limiting the potential of your humanity.

• Don't be afraid to explore other cultures - you may be surprised at how much you already have in common.

• "Different" is NOT a bad thing.

• "Different" makes life richer, and more interesting.

• "Different" just means something you haven't experienced yet - hey, you can always go back to the same ol' same ol', but try to overcome your trepidation, and expand your mind.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.

-- Mike

Edited by - Michael3000 on 7 October 2002 17:45:20

Edited by - Michael3000 on 7 October 2002 17:47:22

• gumby
    gumby

Thanks for sharing that Mike.

Comments you heard at Bethel reflect an entire Winess view on that subject. Even they are not immune to society's brainwashing. They think they are in this matter....but they are not.

• teejay
    teejay
    * Embrace everything that makes you different from everyone else, but don't sequester yourself from the rest of the world.

* Don't be afraid to explore other cultures - you may be surprised at how much you already have in common.

* "Different" is NOT a bad thing.

Michael3000,

After reading this, I'll say what we used to say after hearing a sterling talk on Sunday morning...

"Deeep."

Nice post.

And good luck on the upcoming nuptials. "Has a man found a good woman? If so, he's found a good thing."

I read that somewhere once.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit