Is it wrong for a white to marry a black?

by gumby 101 Replies latest jw friends

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

tee jay,

number 1, that is MY picture on my profile..so...ummm...yeah.... ???

Secondly, yeah, i'm sure it did help peeps back then, white or black. i just think they could've been a little more positive about it, that's all. but yeah, it was the 60's...i understand what you're saying....

kids get slack from other kids in school? I think it's all about location, bro. Here in the bay area, there more nationalities than you can shake a stick at. I haven't heard of any kids being picked on, so maybe I'm just a little niave. At any rate, the possibility that my kid may eventually get picked on for being half white half black someday has no effect on me whatsoever in my relationship or in my desire to have kids. I think it's foolish actually to let something like that thwart a beautiful relationship that i'm currently enjoying and plan on enjoying the rest of my life.

Kids are tough, they'll work it out. Like I said, I really don't forsee a problem with that here in California.

Secondly, everything is planned out. Engagement next year, marraige the year after, children sometime down the road. Not really very difficult planning or talking about children once you know you really want to be with someone forever, which is where everyone should be once they decide they want to marry. If you want children and she doesn't, maybe you shouldn't get married...?? (or vice versa)

BTW, if you saw my girlfriend, you'd take that comment back in a heartbeat. If that tells ya anything. ;-)

peace.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

tee jay, one more thing - how in the world is my comment about "what's wrong w/ two different nationalities loving each other" foolish idealism???

please explain, my brotha. I'm dying to hear your thoughts.

• mamashel
    mamashel

My husband and i are a biracial couple. I have 6 children, 2 from previous marriage and 4 biracial children. I can honestly say (we live in Columbus, Ohio) we have never really experienced any problems here, but when we lived in Tennessee, there were so many bigots, it was unreal. And the vast majority of them were at the hall. When we went out in field service down there, this is no lie, we were told if we went to a door together NOT to introduce ourselves as husband and wife, that they would automatically shut the door in our face.

We have taught our children to respect themselves for who they are and to respect others too, and to ignore ignorance.

He is the love of my life and so are the kids. I couldnt care less what the others think.

mamashel

• teejay
    teejay
    So teejay you support separation of the races or what? perhaps I read your intent wrong, but it sounds like it. perhaps I'm wrong.

On this, my opinion is up in the air, Valis.

I can say that I used to be exactly like DJ but life has a way of bringing you back to reality.

Separation of the races is good. So is intermingling. I want my daughter to know what it's like to be Black in America. At the same time, I want her to experience total inclusion in society. *shrugging shoulders*

Goddammit!! Don't ask me those hard questions, Man!!! It's Sunday, for cryin' out loud! I'm drinkin' beer and watching football. Sheeesh.

Avoidance comes very near the idea of sticking one's head in the sand IMO and at the worst, has an implied racist tone. How can you say that sparing future children ridicule is any reason for two people who love each other to not be together? Mind as well go back to 1960 if that's the game afoot.

If I understand you correctly, I agree. I think.

At the same time, I know that "love" is very often overrated. The chemical reaction that goes on in the brain can be duplicated with the consumption of so much chocolate. All too often love wanes but its effects last for a long time... maybe a lifetime.

Suppose: I am unemployed (or under-employed) but I am "in love." I live with my folks and she lives with hers. Still, we are "in love." Should that be the only consideration? Or should somebody slap me to my senses and alert me to the consequences of being "in love"?

"Boy!! You caint support no wife!! Get a job, go to school, etc. (whatever). "

IOW, "think about what you're doing 'cause "love" comes and goes but sometimes, innocent human life is left behind and it's THAT life that pays the price." That's all I was saying. All I think the Wt article was saying.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

amen mamashel.... it's all about the love for the "chillren" (as they used to say in my old congo)

yeah, there are certain parts of the country i would not choose to live in due to things you just described. I grew up in NC and things were cool there - New York of course was cool, and California is cool as well. Parts of the midwest and south/southeast aren't very friendly to interracial couples though.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

i understand both tee jay's and valis' comments. props to both of ya...

yeah...sometimes the interracial thing is a different kind of "crush" or a phase an individual goes through. There's definitely stuff to think about, but for me the emphasis should be placed on the love factor, not the race factor. If you're REALLY ready for love, committment, marraige, etc...everything should work out, regardless of race.

my two cents.

who's winning the game?!?!

late,

jay

• Valis
    Valis

*L* teejay...I'm doing the same Sunday worship you are...beer and football cross all racial lines..eheheh...let me give you another perspective..

I grew up in one of the worst parts of Dallas and I got to be the minority most of my life. I can say that I am grateful for that experience as I have had many girlfriends that were African American, Hispanic, and even a couple Asian hotties...In my high school days I was one of only 5 white folk in the whole graduating class. You think I never thought about marrying one of those girls? Indeed I did. I ended up marrying a Vietnamese/French crazy woman when I was quite young. Ah the indiscretion of youth! Fortunately today I really believe that your comment about young people living at home is more of an economic one than one of a racially motivated ideal. BTW...I want my 40 acres and a mule, I just don't know what I would do w/either one!!...*LOL*.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the " Ballin On A Budget" class

• Sabine
    Sabine

Okay, you all sucked me into commenting....

I'm a georgeous dark skinned hispanic, my hubby is a georgeous strawberry blonde. When we announced our engagement, his dad, PO, said he wouldn't attend the wedding...stating pretty much the WTBS's comments. The congregation was split in half, but on the big day, everyone showed up...even dad-in-law.

28 years latter...we love each other more than ever. Have we faced a lot of racism? Not so much as we have faced envy and jealousy. The JW's were so jealous of our obvious happy union, and our outrageous chemistry. But that just backs up my theory that most prejudice is rooted in fear motivated jealousy. Hitler was afraid the Jews were going to "take over", and many whites are secretly afraid blacks are somehow physically/sexually superior.

Teejay, you were willing to put yourself in a position that many found unpopular when you were a dub right? Well, my love for my husband is worth any discomfort or struggle. If love isn't worth fighting for what is? As far as blacks and whites separating....what a cowardly, backward, f'd up thing to even contemplate!!!

• teejay
    teejay

Jay,

number 1, that is MY picture on my profile..so...ummm...yeah.... ???
    Well, me asking you if you were black was a bit of sarcasm. I'm bad about that. At the outset of an earlier post you said, "THE BLACK MAN IS HERE TO SPEAK!!!" as if your race/sex mattered. It was a joke. I mean... I was joking.

kids get slack from other kids in school? I think it's all about location, bro. Here
    in the bay area, there more nationalities than you can shake a stick at. I haven't
    heard of any kids being picked on, so maybe I'm just a little niave.

You live in the Bay Area? I HATE you!! I love it there. If I could, I'd live there right now. (California is god's country!!)

Okay.... okay. I'm alright. *whew* Now... where was I? Oh yeah...

You have a point. Californians, as progressive as they are in many ways, are a bit different from your average, backward American, so.. yeah.. location DOES matter... no doubt. So does the passage of time. More people are more enlightened than was the case 42 years ago when that Wt article was written. Still... not everybody lives in God's Country.

At any rate, the possibility that my kid may eventually get picked on for being half white half black someday has no effect on me whatsoever in my relationship or in my desire to have kids. I think it's foolish actually to let something like that thwart a beautiful relationship that i'm currently enjoying and plan on enjoying the rest of my life.

No argument from here, Bro. I feel ya. Being in the midst of a beautiful relationship is a heady experience. (If I could only remember what that was like! Hell... I'm just married!!)

BTW, if you saw my girlfriend, you'd take that comment back in a heartbeat. If
    that tells ya anything. ;-)

I know what you mean. You have your hands on a babe. *you go, Boy!!* I'm married to a babe, my own damn self. But then... for me... that's a side issue since babes are a dime a dozen. They come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Like city busses, when one leaves, five minutes later another one comes along. That's been MY experience, anyway.

Offspring tend to be a more lasting experience, however.

Holla.

• mamashel
    mamashel

Sabine, YOU GO GIRL.

That' s what I'm talkin about, 28 years, i cant wait until i can say that. So many people were against us and said it would never last. Well 10 1/2 years later, we are more in love than ever. Especially after leaving the jw's.

As far as bi-racial children(which are some of the most beautiful people on earth)we have to teach them how to deal with society as a whole. I dont believe things are as bad as they used to be for bi-racial children, but again that might be because it is so common where we live. And 2 of my 4 bi-racial children are so dark that some people cant even tell they are mixed. But they havn't had any problems in school that I have known about, except for haters!!!

But as I said before, we try our best to teach them to ignore ignorance.

This is a very touchy subject for alot of people i know. But I love people in general of all races.

love mamashel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit