"Witnesses Now For Jesus" convention ...

by borgfree 101 Replies latest jw friends

• flower
    flower
    Perhaps it's me. Perhaps I was spared the brain damaged. I was in for over ten years, serves in just about every capacity within the local congregation, and I loved every minute of it.

you hit the nail on the head RR. i'm happy for you that you enjoyed it. i am happy for you that you havent been damaged by it. but after that you said......

But for the life of me, I don't understand, why most want to mope around all day, and I know they hate me for saying this but .... GET A LIFE!!!

you say that you dont UNDERSTAND and yet in the same breath you chose to disrespect and dismiss other peoples feelings as invalid. just because you dont understand them? is this your normal philosophy of life? i mean should a woman who loses a child be able to go through extensive therapy and counseling to get past it ? should she be allowed to mope around feeling sorry for herself for as long as it takes her? or would you just tell her to 'get a life' after your idea of an acceptable period of grieving had passed? you dont understand what its like to be a woman and lose a child. but i dont think you would do that. or maybe you make it a point to reject and dismiss all things that you dont understand? or maybe you believe everyone who says they were devastated by their experiences in the jw's to be lying, because after all you loved it? or perhaps youve done some extensive research and discovered that getting over this kind of mental, emotional, physical, spiritual and sometimes sexual abuse is really not that hard at all and that we all just need to have a little more 'faith' and read our bibles more or just pray more or just 'get over it'.

you dont know what its like to be born into an organization like this. you definately dont know what its like to be a woman in the organization. you probably dont know what its like to be a kid in the organization. you by your own admission dont know what its like to be abused and have no where to turn in the organization. or to have people shun you while you are still in the organization or treat you like crap.

you dont understand and yet you dismiss others right to feel and do what they feel and do. saying 'GET A LIFE!!!' is a slap in the face.

flower

Edited by - flower on 31 August 2002 10:30:24

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Your handle fits you. Nyuk nyuk nyuk. Anyways...

Gee, how clever. You're the first person who ever thought of that insult (*cough*). You sure you aren't You Know in disguise?

People in the Corinthian congregation were pulling the same stunt, claiming already "saved" before it happened. Paul
    rebuked them:

1 Cor 4:7-14
    7 For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And IF you did receive it [Paul was DOUBTING some of them receiving the Holy Spirit], why do you boast as though you did not?

Now there's an interesting point. Those that boast about what they MAY have been given, mean that DID NOT RECEIVE it because they were boasting about it. Hmmm.

It makes it really easy to make your point with the scriptures if you can insert your own thoughts in brackets, doesn't it? The Watchtower uses that trick a lot, too.

The issue in question in chapter 4 of 1 Corinthians is not that of salvation. This chapter is about the relationship between spiritual leaders and the members of the flock of God. Remember that earlier in the letter, he had warned against "boasting about men". People were lining up behind human leaders, rather than trusting in Christ. Paul is chiding some in the congregation who had exalted themselves above others, as if their standing before God did not result from God's gift, but was earned by their own merits. Note that Paul opens the chapter by saying:

So then, men ought to regard us as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the secret things of God.

Apparently, there was no question in Paul's mind as to his own salvation and choosing by God. In saying these words, he also identified himself as a servant of Christ, and subject only to being judged by Christ, not by men. He pointed out that everything they had in a spiritual way had been given to them by God - they had received it. The question was not as to whether they had certain spiritual possessions - there was no question about that. But Paul was pointing out that they did not generate these things on their own, they had received them from God. Some of them were apparently acting as though they had not.

Paul's wording supports this: "And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?" It is not the "having" that is in question, as your inserted comment would imply. It is the "receiving". For example, you may have a beautiful clay pot in your hand, and tell me that you made it. Next to the chair you are sitting in, however, I see the box it came in and the packing slip with the item listed on it. Clearly, you did not make the pot, but received it in the mail. I say to you, "If you received this pot, why do you brag that you made it?" This wording does not imply that I question the fact that you have the pot; it merely means that I am questioning your claim as to how you got it. Paul's question is similar. He does not question the Corinthians' possession of gifts from God (including salvation); he questions the fact that they brag as if these things were the result of their own efforts.

8 Already you have all you want! [Being saved already with eternal life?] Already you have become rich! [Being saved already with eternal life?] You have become kings-and that without us! [By being saved already with eternal life BEFORE THE APOSTLES??] How I wish that you really had become kings so that we might be kings with you! [Paul wasn't even saved yet, how is they were claiming such a wrongful boast?]It sounds to me like some in the Corintian congregation were claiming being saved before it actually happened. Don't you? Paul was saying, "Corinthian brothers, How is that true, that you claim to have it all before us? We the Apostles, are all still dirt bags countering bad with good, but you have it ALL already? You are kings already? Saved already? NOT!!!"

They were certainly claiming something that hadn't happened yet, but that something was not salvation itself. Rather, it was just what Paul said it was - becoming kings along with Christ! You seem unable to see a difference between salvation and glorification. There is a vast difference. When we receive Christ, we are saved. That is really the beginning of the Christian journey. At that point, God begins to work in our lives, to mold us into the sort of persons he wants us to be. Paul mentions this at Philippians 1:3-11:

3 I thank my God every time I remember you. 4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy 5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, 6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
    7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. 8 God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.
    9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, 10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, 11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ--to the glory and praise of God.

These were not unsaved people; all of them "share[d] in God's grace with me [Paul]" (v. 7). But God was working in them, developing Christian qualities, and would continue to do so right up to the "day of Christ". This is why certain Christian qualities are spoken of as the "fruit of righteousness" (v.11) and, in Galatians, the "fruitage of the Spirit". Fruitage does not appear from nowhere. It comes from a fruit tree. Neither does the tree have to strain itself, grunting and groaning, to produce fruit; the fruit appears naturally. Likewise with Christians. The Holy Spirit is already living in them. This changes their lives, and the evidence of this change is the fruitage of the Spirit:, love, joy, peace, etc. Others, who have not established such a relationship with God, do not manifest such fruitage.

I'm not going to cite the rest of the chapter, in which you inserted your own thoughts in brackets, because it's just more of the same. You try to apply the words of Paul to the question of whether his hearers have been saved, when that is clearly not what he is talking about. He rather sarcastically points out the degree to which some in the congregation have exalted themselves, even far above the apostles who were appointed by Christ Himself! In contrast, he showed how he and the other apostles had responded as Christians to offenses, and had suffered on behalf of the Gospel.

As one additional point, I note the long list of scriptures you cite to sunstarr in an attempt to prove that the Bible is written only for the "chosen ones". I wonder whether you realize that each of these scriptures, in which chosen ones are personally identified, disproves your claim that the identities of the chosen ones will not be known until the return of Christ?

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

1 Thess 1:4-5
    4 For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction.

That's how the chosen were proven then, PROVEN BY THE POWER, that's how it will be in the end when ALL things will be exposed (evil) and revealed (chosen) BY THE POWER OF GOD.

Without the POWER OF GOD BEHIND A MAN'S WORDS that he is chosen, he's just another liar.

God will show who is really his all by Himself.

Hey bud, go claim your salvation. I'll sit back and watch.

Edited by - pomegranate on 31 August 2002 12:41:2

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Rom 11:17-21

17 If some of the branches [Jews] have been broken off, and you [pom and Neo], though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others [Natural Jews] and now share in the nourishing sap [Holy Spirit] from the olive root [Christ], 18 do not boast over those branches. [I'm CHOSEN, I'm SAVED] If you do, consider this: You [pom and Neo] do not support the root [Christ] but the root supports you. 19 You will say then, "Branches [Jews] were broken off so that I [pom and Neo] could be grafted in." 20 Granted. But they [Jews] were broken off because of unbelief, and you [pom and Neo] stand by faith. Do not be arrogant [pom and Neo], but be afraid. 21 For if God did not spare the natural branches [Jews], he will not spare you [pom and Neo] either.
    Rom 11:22-24

22 Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell [Jews] , but kindness to you [pom and Neo], provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you [pom and Neo] also will be cut off. 23 And if they do not persist in unbelief [NATURAL Jews], they will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 After all, if you [pom and Neo] were cut out of an olive tree that is wild by nature, and contrary to nature were grafted into a cultivated olive tree, how much more readily will these, the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree!

Edited by - pomegranate on 31 August 2002 12:52:10

• RR
    RR
    you dont know what its like to be born into an organization like this. you definately dont know what its like to be a woman in the organization. you probably dont know what its like to be a kid in the organization.

Nope, wasn't born into it, wasn't a kid in it, never a women, nope, nope, nope! does that make you happy?

you by your own admission dont know what its like to be abused and have no where to turn in the organization. or to have people shun you while you are still in the organization or treat you like crap.

Abuse? Now that's another story, there are other types of abuse, and I have been abused. Shun? Yep! I know exactly how it feels to be shunned and to be treat like C**P

you dont understand and yet you dismiss others right to feel and do what they feel and do. saying 'GET A LIFE!!!' is a slap in the face.

I don't dismiss others. People like "you" will never find closure, if all you do is hang around others who feel the same. Being a member of the "lonely hearts club" reminding yourselves of all your so called abuse.

Forget the past, your mamma and papa don't want to talk to you again, FORGET them!, who needs them? I left EVERYONE behind, everyone who ever meant anything to me in the org. The friends/family who disowned me when I became a Witness and those friends and family who disowned me when I left. They chose to ignore me, that's their right. But I'm not gonna sit around and mope, and surround myself with victims sharing "war stories." It ain't worth it!

I say forget 'em, move on and get a life!

Edited by - RR on 31 August 2002 20:33:6

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Pomegranate, it's obvious that you have your own agenda, and that what the Bible actually says is not relevant to you.

You demonstrate this by quoting verses utterly without reference to their context. You select the words that appear to support your pet theory, and ignore the ones that don't. Sometimes, in quoting, you actually leave out words that contradict what you are trying to prove with the rest of the verse. This, obviously, is a very dishonest thing to do, and I can't imagine that a person who is doing it would not be aware that they were being dishonest.

You also demonstrate this by the fact that you are unable to quote scripture without inserting your own thoughts in brackets after every few words. This can be an effective technique in decieving people as to the meaning of the scriptures; the Watchtower has used it very effectively for that purpose. Unfortunately, it is also a dishonest technique, since the ultimate purpose is to misrepresent what the text actually says, inserting your own ideas instead.

You also demonstrate this by your ignorance of very basic Bible teachings, such as the difference between salvation and glorification. You have repeatedly taken scriptures that are talking about the glorification of believers at Christ's return, and attempted to apply them to the question of salvation. In most cases, all it has taken for me to refute your specious arguments is a quick reading of the context. Do you ever read context, when looking up verses? If so, I have seen no evidence of it in what you have written.

Yet you keep coming back, with quotation after misapplied quotation. Quotations that have nothing to do with the subject you are trying to use them to prove. Quotations interrupted continually by your bracketed "explanations", just to make sure that no one reading it gets the sense of what the scripture actually says. After all, it's your personal opinion that is paramount, right? Certainly not what the word of God teaches - that's why you keep altering it by adding your own words into the lines.

Now, I could do a bit of research, and explain to you what the parable of the vine and the branches is really about - I might not even need to look anything up; just reading the context has usually been enough to see the holes in your arguments. But I really don't have time for this. Because after I do that, you'll just take some other section of scripture, twist its meaning, insert your own comments into the text, and try to use it to bolster your personal ideas. I'm not going to spend the rest of my life trying to teach you the Bible, when it's plainly obvious that you have no respect whatsoever for the Bible, except insofar as you can use its words - accurately or not - to support your pet ideas.

I'm confident in my salvation. Obviously, you are not confident in yours, which is a shame, since the Bible tells us we can KNOW that we have eternal life. I hope that someday, you will decide to read the Bible honestly, and that such blessed assurance can then be yours as well.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

I'm confident in my salvation.

Rom 3:4
    Let God be true, and every man a liar.

2 Cor 10:12-13
    We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves [I'm saved]. When they measure themselves by themselves ["I'm confident in my salvation."] and compare themselves with themselves ["I'm confident in my salvation."] , they are not wise.

James 4:14-16
    14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." 16 As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.

Gal 6:14
    May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world.

2 Cor 11:30-31
    If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Pom, why do you consider it "boasting" and cite scriptures about boasting, when the Bible tells us we can know that we have eternal life? Are you suggesting that the Bible contradicts itself? Or, could it be that those being chided about boasting, are actually boasting about something other than the issue of whether they have been saved?

Oh, wait. You inserted some words into the scripture to make it read your way again. So your interpretation must be true. I mean, after all, inserted words in the scripture are always right, aren't they?

Obvioulsy, you know that you do not have eternal life. Appropriately so, in view of what the scriptures say about people like you:

Rev 21:8:
    " But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

Rev. 22:18:
    "I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book."

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

"If it is the Lord's will, we will live

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

Pom

What are you? Obviously not born-again. Christadelphian? I think not. Fundamental? NO, doubt it. But you are in severe danger of condemning yourself out of your own mouth. "Out of the mouth come the intentions of the heart" and yours shows no faith, no positive fruitage and no real belief. I sometimed wish hell was a real place so people like you would end up there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit