"Witnesses Now For Jesus" convention ...

by borgfree 101 Replies latest jw friends

• DJ
    DJ

Hi Valis,

I think that the point that you are missing is that if you are NOT required to believe the teachings of others that are there. You are free to come to your own conclusions. You are also free decide which speaker/s that you are interested in hearing.

Most important of all, I feel that you are not understanding that this is a place for healing and crying and venting and learning.......Everyone there is helping everyone else. The difference between this board and those conventions is that most believe in Christ as their mediator between God and man not the wt. So it is a form of fellowship for Xcult members and I feel that you are doing a great disservice to others on this board by coming to an unfounded conclusion. There is absolutely noone telling anyone what they should do. It is a place full of joy and friendship and most importantly....freedom. luv,dj

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Whoopee!! That's me on the Sunday program (right after the communion service)!!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    When your "Keynote" adress brings with it the implication that exclusivity is an acceptable way to live I have to say "no thank you"...

There was a time when it was considered socially unacceptable to force one's beliefs on others. As JW's, we ran into that attitude a lot. It's unfortunate that political correctness today has brought us to the point where it is now considered unacceptable to believe that there are such things as right and wrong, truth and falsehood. Now, we are required to ascribe equal validity to all beliefs and all ways of life, and there is little tolerance of those who deviate from that standard. In other words, we are no longer allowed to believe that anything is true, because to assert that something is true implies that its opposite is false. Such condemnation of the beliefs of others will not be tolerated in this brave new world. How sad.

Edited by - NeonMadman on 27 August 2002 16:0:36

• borgfree
    borgfree

Valis,

I think I understand what you mean, I just do not believe it fits most of the people I know who attend the convention.

The first year I attended (fresh out of 54 years of believing the WT) I went to the alter and gave my life to our Lord. I am not attempting to preach here, just explain. At that point I was given eternal life (my beliefs) I am under no obligation to accept anything some speaker says, I can accept it or not, that is my choice.

Christian living is much different than JW living. Unity in the Christian faith is unity is Jesus Christ and His sacrifice. There are many things Christians will differ on, as far as beliefs are concerned, we can do that, and still be brothers and sisters. The only real unity must be our Lord.

We can also love other people, whether they share our beliefs or not, we can actually love our enemies, (talked about but not necessarily practiced by JWs) I find living as a Christian entirely different from living as a JW.

Our keynote speaker will express his thoughts, views, etc. I will agree with him or I may not agree with everything he says, again, my choice. If I like, I will get up and walk out, I will still be treated as a brother by the others there.

I forget who the keynote speaker is, but, if it is Erick Greishaber, he is an ex-JW, now a Pentacostal Pastor, you only need to be careful around him because he is in the habit of giving bear-hugs, he is a big guy.

Borgfree

• borgfree
    borgfree

My apologies for repeating anything that had already been said, I am at work and sometimes have to actually do work, so it takes longer for me to complete my post.

borgfree

• Valis
    Valis

Please do tell me how that having a world view is being politically correct. And why it is wrong to question the motive of such an address? I think its great that so many of us can gather in such a manner and certainly know how important that any healing process is a good thing....I just think that particular idea is a conterproductive viewpoint and very much JW sounding. I would point out that the Unitarians most likely have a christian worldview and they express such by publicly studying other cultures' religions and the relative spiritual merit of said beliefs. Nothing politically correct about that, very sane, especially for people who still are christians.

Neon, there is a big difference between maintaining a belief and maintaining one to the exclusion of others by means of calling them "deceptive". Old old JW trick.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

"Given in to mind control by now"-- I know someone who attended evry meenting and convention of the JW's for 25 years but was never baptised or became a believer. Where's the mind control there? I suppose you'll say he was an exception to the rule!

"True love of Christ" "Worship without fear of being demon-possessed" what the hell is that all about.??????????????????????

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Neon, there is a big difference between maintaining a belief and maintaining one to the exclusion of others by means of calling them "deceptive". Old old JW trick.

But I think we can agree that there are deceptive worldviews. Certainly the worldview of the JW's is deceptive, since it demands huge sacrifices now to attain promises that will never be fulfilled. Many cultic groups have similarly deceptive worldviews. Jim Jones and David Koresh certainly did. Are we somehow being "exclusivist" by labeling their worldviews as deceptive? Remember that the primary area of discussion at WNFJ is cults, particularly the JW's. I suspect that's what the speaker will focus on.

And what's so bad about being "exclusivist" anyway? Doesn't it just mean that we believe that our worldview is correct, and that others are incorrect? Isn't that what is implied when anyone advances any worldview at all? If you think that "exclusivist" worldviews are wrong, are you not therefore saying that your "non-exclusivist" worldview is correct? Isn't that sort of, well, "exclusivist" on your part?

• DJ
    DJ

Valis,

I understand Madman to be saying something very true and I am surprised that you don't understand. You do live in America, don't you?? It is absolutely politically correct in this country to be tolerant of all belief sytems. Therefore everyone is right and noone is wrong. How does that make sense? Don't dare take a stand for Christ or else we will be hearing from people like you, politically correct indeed.

I respect the fact that your butt is covered under the 1st ammendment. You need to try to remember that it covers our butts too. Not everyone is an atheist. I have never tried to pressure you to stop being an atheist. I just think that you are way off base here. You obviously can't understand the dynamics of these conventions and you are actually sounding foolish trying to discredit something that you know nothing about.

I guess that it needs repeating that NO speaker there requires anyone to agree. We are free to come and go as we please, to listen or not to, to make friends, or not,to agree or disagree, to wear dresses or jeans, to eat with everyone else, or go out, to enjoy the band or not to.....WHATEVER!!! It is beyond my comprehesion how anyone except a communist regime would have a problem with this place.

dj

• Valis
    Valis

dammit neon! *L*...I will back off my point as I have no idea what "worldview" he will be speaking on, and perhaps I'm wrong about it. I wouldn't call what the JWs have as a worldview at all. I think you will agree that it is the very lack of a global consideration that makes them so terribly distastefull and one that niether you or I would embrace. We may also be respectfully arguing in wrong directions, which do us no good. I suppose when I hear the word "deciet" and worldview I thinking...OK I've heard this before. That's all really. My concept of a worldview speaks to being open and taking the snippets of all things good I come into contact with in order to make my life better. It isn't centered around any belief per se, just my experiences and interaction with others. I also think think that Christianity has always fostered the notion of exclusivity not based on any kind of real scholarship or thought after examining the merits of different belief, but by some delusional notion that they have a lock on the right representation of Dog. Perhaps there will be a transcript of his address, which I would like to look at if possible. If I'm wrong then I will gladly say so. However painfull that may be..*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit