My B/F told me he's a J/W after months of dating!

by Funky_Diva_53_2000 81 Replies latest social relationships

• detective
    detective

Brokenheartedidiot said:

Of course i know about the mistakes that my religion has made in the past, but this only strengthens my faith in it.

translation: Yer soooo wrong you gotta be right.

alternate translation: You've screwed up so often that I believe you're reliable.

Other application: My brakes have failed repeatedly in the past but, as a result, I'm that much more certain that they'll stop me before hitting that brick wall.

Of course i know about the mistakes that Catholicism/Buddhism/Judiasm/Islamhas made in the past, but this only strengthens my faith in it.

Does that make anymore sense when you put it that way?

• larc
    larc

Broken, Like you, I was raised as a Witness. Like you, I was a true believer. At about your age, I started reading some of the very old books. They shook me to the core. If you read Russell's books before 1914, you will not recognize it as the same religion, especially when it comes to prophecy. I would highly recommend that you do some research. For starters, go to the sites listed at the bottom of the page, especially, Quotes, Freeminds, and Silentlambs. You owe it to yourself to do this exploration.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Of course i know about the mistakes that my religion has made in the past, but this only strengthens my faith in it.

Is this some misplaced belief in the law of averages?

It reminds me of the following scene from Blackadder Goes Forth:

Melchett: Good man. Now, Field Marshal Haig has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure final victory in the field.

[they gather around a model of the battlefield]

Blackadder: Now, would this brilliant plan involve us climbing out of our trenches and walking slowly towards the enemy sir?

Darling: How can you possibly know that Blackadder? It's classified information.

Blackadder: It's the same plan that we used last time, and the seventeen times before that.

Melchett: E-E-Exactly! And that is what so brilliant about it! We will catch the watchful Hun totally off guard! Doing precisely what we have done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they'll expect us to do this time!

• JanH
    JanH

Brokenheartedidiot,

You just inspired me to post an old essay about the WTS past record in prophetic speculation. It is an amazing fact of history that your religion never got a prediction right. They have zig-zagged their way through history, constantly making changes to doctrine. At every time, their followers believed that now they got it right. Fact is, they never did, and never will.

And it is also a fact that they never humbly admitted mistakes. The closest they ever got was a private admission from Joseph Rutherford that the "made an ass of" himself with his failed 1925 prophecy. In public, however, he promptly blamed the rank-and-file and accused them of bad motives. He asserted his faithfulls were influenced by the Devil -- no less -- to believe his own nonsense.

Religious conviction is a deeply emotional. It has nothing to do with studying or rational thinking. Otherwise sects like the Jehovah's Witnesses, with its disastrous record of failures and disruptive policies, would have no following.

In a sense, a religious conviction is like falling in love.

The difference is that you have a chance that the person you love will love you back instead of exploiting you.

Sometimes, that is more than you deserve.

- Jan

• pandora
    pandora

Funky Diva-

I just have to re-iterate something here in case you missed it. That wonderful boyfriend of yours has, as far as he AND his religion are concerned, had SEX. If everything came out today, he would be disfellowshipped for his actions. The fact that he hasn't been, means he hasn't been honest with someone.

I know this is tough, but knowing how much he is lying to continue things with you, could you really trust him? I mean think about it. In order to be seeing you at all, he has got to be lying through his eye teeth to someone. The fact that you have had oral sex,,,,. That is sooo illegal in that religion. As someone else said, YOU CAN'T EVEN DO THAT WHEN YOU ARE MARRIED.

I'm sorry for stating things already said, but it is REALLY important that you understand what is happening around you.

-P(J)

• Funky_Diva_53_2000
    Funky_Diva_53_2000
    Broken, Like you, I was raised as a Witness. Like you, I was a true believer. At about your age, I started reading some of the very old books. They shook me to the core. If you read Russell's books before 1914, you will not recognize it as the same religion, especially when it comes to prophecy. I would highly recommend that you do some research. For starters, go to the sites listed at the bottom of the page, especially, Quotes, Freeminds, and Silentlambs. You owe it to yourself to do this exploration.

Thanks,this sounds like it might be useful for my boyfriend to read,if he want's,& find out more information.He knows at the end of the day he will have to make his own decision about what he wants to do.I'm not sure if he will read the book's or websites you have recommended...I hope so though,for his sake and our relationship,but that's up to him wether he does or not.I don't know if it will make a difference as he's been a Jehovahs witness for 20 years & seems very dedicated and into the religion.

larc...Do you mind if I ask you how long you were in the J/W religion for?...and how long
    you've been out of it?,just out of interest,please.

Edited by - Funky_Diva_53_2000 on 11 July 2002 15:24:16

Edited by - Funky_Diva_53_2000 on 11 July 2002 15:29:45

• larc
    larc

Funky, I would also recommend that you and your boy friend both read two threads started by JanH. One is about the 1914 generation teaching, and the other "Missing the target, etc." has to do with the religion's history of false prophecy. Regarding my situation, I first started having some doubts when I was 18. I didn't start drifting away until I was 22, and didn't leave completely until I was 25. Edited to add: I am now 61. Let me tell you, the sense of urgency regarding the end of the world was just as strong then as it is now. When I told my JW buddies in 1959, that I was going to college, they told me the end of the world would come before I graduated. They are all grandparents today and some will soon be great grandparents. Ps, your boy friend should not be afraid to read other views. If he has the truth, it should stand up to analysis. If he refuses to read anything, I think your relationship is doomed.

Edited by - larc on 11 July 2002 15:42:47

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Thanks,this sounds like it might be useful for my boyfriend to read,if he want's,& find out more information.He knows at the end of the day he will have to make his own decision about what he wants to do.

Funky, if he was sincerely interested in finding out the truth about his religion, that information might be helpful, it's true. But his comments here lead me to believe that he is not sincere at all, about you or his religion. He does not have the humble, contrite expressions that one would normally expect from someone who had damaged an important relationship through dishonesty and is now sincerely striving to repair it. Instead, he defends his actions and beliefs, acting as if this was all something that just "happened" to him, not something he brought upon himself. When people here try to point out the flaws in his religious organization, he becomes arrogant and defensive, and demands to know their religious affiliations so he can pigeonhole and dismiss their comments on that basis.

Fact: He deceived you for months about his being a JW.

Fact: He deceived his family and friends for months about you. He also deceived his congregation. Relationships with worldly people are strongly frowned upon, and if it had become known that he was dating a worldly girl, the elders would have been at his door in a heartbeat.

Fact: He has, in the eyes of his religious group, committed serious immorality with you. If this became known, he would, as others have pointed out, be disfellowshipped and shunned. Therefore, we must conclude that he is even now deceiving his friends, family and congregation about his actions.

Do you really want a relationship with a liar?

As many here have said, we have seen this a hundred times. He may feel as though he loves you now. But at some point, maybe after the flush of new romance has paled a bit, he will feel guilty about committing immorality with you. He will confess to the elders, and one of their requirements for him not to be disfellowshipped will be that he never have anything to do with you again. He will dump you as instructed, and find some virginal young JW girl to marry eventually. You will be known as that worldly slut that he got in trouble with. All fault will be ascribed to you and none to him.

Let's take it a step further, and assume that he actually walks away from the JW's to be with you. Again, time will go by, and at some point, he will decide to go back. This is inevitable, unless he somehow breaks free of the Watchtower's mind control. I don't see him doing that right now; he is too defensive, and is not, in my opinion, capable of the self-honesty needed to break free mentally. So, even if he does leave, he will eventually go back. If you don't become a JW too, he will resent you, and your lives will be miserable. If you do become a JW, you'll be miserable, too, because you have learned enough here to know that it isn't the truth. So you will be knowingly devoting your life to a lie. Trust me, I've been there. It's a horrible way to live.

In short, I don't see any possibility at all for a positive outcome to this relationship. This guy is a proven liar, and I firmly believe that his profession of love for you is phony. He's just using you for what he can get. After he's had his fun, he'll "repent" before his elders, and continue his merry JW life without you. I strongly suggest you spare yourself a lot of heartache, and dump him now.

• LB
    LB

Hmmm, BHidiot hasn't replied today. I wonder if he's working overtime on getting his GF away from us lying apostates?????

• brokenheartedidiot
    brokenheartedidiot

BHidiot hasn't replied, because BHidiot is doing some research. Unlike you lot, this effects my life, and unlike you lot, i love (Funkydiva) and i care about our relationship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit