My B/F told me he's a J/W after months of dating!

by Funky_Diva_53_2000 81 Replies latest social relationships

• Funky_Diva_53_2000
    Funky_Diva_53_2000

Hi, I'm 17 and I've just recently become a member of this website and I want you to know what has happened to me over the past months.Back in Sep/Oct 2001 I started chatting to a 20 year old bloke via the internet and we developed a great friendship over the net.We would talk online for ages,text and phone each other loads,we sent each other photos of ourselves and he would often put his webcam on for me to see.Before I knew it he played a great part in my everyday life...and I spent so much time chatting to him that my college work suffered a lot & I wasn't doing my coursework (I eventually got told to leave as I hadn't done loads of the assignments and stuff & had fallen behind).

After about 6 months we arranged to meet up (I made sure my parents were at home coz I know it's dodgy to meet people from the internet).Anyway,he came round my house one evening in March and we got along soo well...he lives quite locally too which was good.Our friendship then grew into a relationship and we started dating and going out together,I was sooo happy and I fell for him in a massive way & he said he felt the same way too.To me,he was a girls dream come true...he was kind,caring,fit,good-looking & gentle and I loved him to bits!,I still do,and I thought we'd be together forever.

Something that I did find a bit strange though was I hadn't met his family yet or heard my boyfriend talk much about them.I would question him about his family but he seemed to get a bit funny about it and when I mentioned about meeting his family he said something along the lines of ''they're a bit strange,you might not like them'' (or something like that anyway).That got me thinking and I though prehaps they lived in a run-down place or something,or they wern't very nice people and I thought my b/f could be ashamed to let me meet them.I thought to myself to give him time & he'll see that I'm an understanding & nice person and hoped that he would soon come out and tell me what the problem was (thinking it was about what I've just mentioned).

Then After about 2 months into the relationship I was talking to him on the phone one day & questioned him about his family again...I think he sussed at this time that I was getting more suspicious.Later that evening I recieved a text message telling me that he had been 'brought up by a religious family'.Then I got another msg and it turns out he's a Jehovahs Witness.I was ok with it untill I spoke to my parents & found out that I'd have to become one if we ever wanted to get married and take the relationship further...and it made a lot of other things complicated too.Then I started making sense of the things he told me about his family...and the fact that he wouldn't go out with me on certain days (church meetings etc etc),it was like putting together pieces of a jigsaw.

Anyway...basically,I'm still going out with my boyfriend,I love him to bits and I want to be with him for the rest of my life.I have been reading several books and spoken to quite a lot of people about this and what has happened and I've also been to websites on the net and been reading some of the bible.The religion however,I will not go into and I've told my b/f that I will not become a J/W...I don't believe their beliefs & have different views about life and stuff.I've been brought up as a Christian,not a strict one (I don't go to church & stuff but I was christined when I was younger & live in a christian family).I have asked my boyfriend to look at other information about his religion and look at why some people leave that particular religion,I feel in a way that he hasn't been given much of a chance too look for himself and feel he's been brainwashed by the congregation.He's been brought up as a J/W all his life for 20 years and I don't think he will come out of it and see things differently,I still have a little hope though.

We have both cried loads over this and I really dont want to loose him.I've told him that he's got untill the end of this month to decide what he feels is the right thing for him to do (either to come out his religion or to stay in it).Allthough he said he would like us both to stay friends if we end up splitting up,I don't think I could be friends as it would emotionally hurt us too much.If anyone who's been in a similar situation or has advice for me then please let me know,I'd be really greatfull for a response.Thanks for listening.

Edited by - Funky_Diva_53_2000 on 8 July 2002 14:13:4

Edited by - Funky_Diva_53_2000 on 8 July 2002 14:15:23

• Matty
    Matty

A very warm welcome Funky Diva. Sorry to be a fusspot but is there any chance you could insert a few paragraphs here and there - you might find you'll get more replies if you do, it's a bit heavy going all in one!

Well, I can understand the pain you're going through, but there's no two ways about it, the Jehovah's Witness religion will put an intolerable strain on any relationship.

It looks like its ultimatum time for you, and I think you really know the score already. If you have looked at any of the other experiences here you will know that a so-called "divided household" is a living hell. I know it's tough, but unless he gives up his religion for you he just aint worth it.

• not interested
    not interested

Hey Funky,
    well im glad that you told him that you would never be a j/w your very smart for that. but i use that excuse still today when i want to kick a girl to the curb it goes like this " well im a df'ed jw and if i want to go back i cant have you as a girlfriend so SEE YA" workd every time

• Satanus
    Satanus

You probrably have 3 choices.

1. Dump him, go through withdrawll, and start w a new non-jw. This is painful, but takes a lot less time and torment.

2. Learn all about jw's and deprogram him. This will involve months of studying their beliefs, then months of studying where their bliefs are wrong, then months to actually, MAYBE deprogram him. If you don't succeed, then you are still stuck w choice no 1. Also, there is a chance that he may win, and you will become a jw.

3. Just go along as you have been, with 2 conflicting lives. Your suffering will be long and tiresome.

Life is a bitch. I feel sorry for your situation.

SS

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

it's definitely a tough spot to be in. for him it's going to be more than just leaving the religion--depending on his family. it's not like dating someone with a 'normal' family. there are so many other factors involved. are you going to celebrate the holidays together? if you get married, his family probably won't attend if it's in a church or religious in nature. what about birthdays? living together before you're married? to jw's it's more than 'just a religion'--it's their whole life. so for him to really leave it, he's going to have to give up everything other than you. no matter what the decision--either choice is going to be very difficult. i really wish you the best.

beck

• LB
    LB

At age 17 you'll fall hard a few more times, although I'm sure that is no comfort to you. He won't leave as he would lose his entire family. All his friends too.

I suggest moving on. And no matter what, do not allow yourself to get sucked in.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Even if your relationship continued on with his saying that he could accept your not becoming a JW, eventually he would feel obligated to put pressure on you to convert. To him, it would be that he was "saving your life", since only JWs will be allowed to live in the New System he believes in. His pressuring you would be out of love, but it could be hellish for you to endure.

As others have mentioned also, you would always be an outsider as far as his family was concerned and any type of holiday celebrations would be out of the question.

You would also find that if your boyfriend remained an active JW and you entered into a long-term relationship, you would have very little time together. He would be attending meetings three days a week, and then on the weekends he would be out in "field service". Every few months, he would be gone for assemblies, and the only acceptable association for him would be with fellow JWs. Any of your current friends would either be considered off-limits or potential converts for him to "witness" to.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

My daughter has had a JW boyfriend for 2 years now and I have to tell you that what these people say is true. It is a no win situation. He may be a marvelous person and a great boyfriend, but you have no successful future together. The best thing to do is move on. The longer you leave it, the messier it gets.

concerned mama

• willy_think
    willy_think

Hi,
    I'm sorry your in this situation, it a tight spot for sure. Your 17 and he's 20? when I was 20 I would never consider going out with a 17 year old girl. To my thinking something is not right there. I would advise getting out. When he comes back with his answer in a month, he'll probably try to string you along playing both sides.
    Good luck
    Bill

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

Here is a link that will give you several more links about what JW's believe.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Troy/5385/Links1.html

Maybe you could invite your boyfiend over to your home and both of you TOGETHER could study the information on these pages. He will probably tell you that he is "not allowed to read 'apostate' web sites", but it is worth a try.

NewLight2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit