Dateline discussed openly in our congregation

by TheMatrix 99 Replies latest jw friends

• TheMatrix
    TheMatrix

Yesterday, the Presiding Overseer (Elder H) read the letter from the Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses (US Branch) regarding their policy on Child Abuse. All scriptures were also looked up and read.

Elder H is a very prepared brother. He is a Gilead graduate and served as a missionary for about 7 years in Kenya before coming home because of illness. He is very loving and understanding. (His background helps in how he is handling the Dateline matter).

After reading the letter, he paused and made some comments on the accusations that are flying around against Jehovah’s Witnesses. This is what he said:

Elder H, “This letter comes our way because of some allegations that have been made in the media against Jehovah’s Witnesses. Their claim is that we protect pedophiles. Many of you also watched a national program on TV dealing with this issue. I think the brothers in our branch have explained our organizational position very clear. I want to add that as a body of elders, we will never protect a pedophile. Even if there is only one witness against a brother, let’s say a child accusing an adult of abuse, and even if we think at that time that the brother is innocent, we WILL turn the case over to the authorities. If the brother is innocent then the authorities will be able to determine why the child lied or why an adult is accusing the brother of molesting him/her when they were children. If the brother is guilty, then he will serve jail time for his crime against that child. It could happen that in the case that there is only one witness and the accused denies wrongdoing, then Biblically no action will be taken in the congregation. But the authorities will still be notified and they will handle things their way.

Let me also emphasize the importance that parents be aware of the dangers of child abuse. Most of the cases dealing with abuse show that the abusers are usually someone close to the family. Many of you have large families, many uncles, cousins, etc. Don’t just assume that because your child is with a family member that everything is o.k. In this sick, perverted world, we must be very careful who is around our children.

As elders, one of our responsibilities is to not only keep the congregation clean in Jehovah’s eyes, but also to protect his beautiful sheep. Our children are a blessing from Jehovah. Now what happens if a new brother moves into our congregation that has been proven to be a child abuser in the past, even if it was many years ago? Are we informed? The answer is yes. When a brother moves to a new congregation, the previous body of elders writes a letter to the new body of elders explaining the brothers past actions. This is only applicable in a case of child abuse. It is a form of warning to the new body of elders. We would then meet with the brother and explain to him that he must keep away from the children in the hall and set some strict rules, for example, he would not be able to even hold a child in his lap. If he did, then he would face a judicial committee. Brothers and sisters, we must be firm and strict when it comes to child abuse as this is not only a horrendous crime against children, but it’s also a psychological sickness that the person has. So if an elder were to approach you and warn you in private to keep your children away from Brother X, then will you question the elder as to why? Of course not, if the elder is giving you this warning then it must be for a good reason, follow his counsel and protect your children.

I have taken too much time today and I apologize for that, but I wanted to let all of you know that if you want to discuss this issue further or if you have any questions about the national program that was aired, then feel free to speak to any of the elders. We are here to help each one of you and we can explain further all of our policies regarding child abuse, one on one. I know some of you might have some doubts and feel bad for victims of child abuse and how their cases were handled in the past, but don’t keep it all inside. As elders, we will dedicate all the time necessary to each of you and will help you clarify any questions you have."

• flower
    flower

If they, and every congregation actually handle child abuse cases that way it would be wonderful but we all know how notorious the organization is for saying one thing from the platform or via magazines while practicing another behind library doors.

flower

• nancee park
    nancee park

Some states require it and most elders comply but NOT ALL. And in those cases they most often do not turn it in. And even in those where they do turn it in, unless the guy had 2 witnesses that he molested the local elders do NOT disfellowship him even if the courts do, say by DNA evidence, but the elders didn't have two witnesses of his pedophilia. Thus some convicted pedophiles are behind bars but JWs in "good-standing." Now tell that to your elders and let them squirm.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Let me guess, Matrix: you're in a reporting state. whoop-te-do.

BEFORE YOU TRY AND REMOVE THE STICK FROM MY ARSE, REMOVE THE TELEPHONE POLE FROM YOUR OWN ARSE.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If elder H. was speaking from his heart and not simply for purposes of public consumption - and I believe he was speaking from his heart, then he sounds like a fine man with the "Christ- like" qualities that drove elder Bill Bowen to cry out in public when he learned of the silence of the lambs in his local flock.

Elder H. will probably be experiencing his own crisis of conscience sometime soon, and when he does, Matrix will be there to condemn him and cast the first stone.

• TR
    TR

Matrix,

You mean by saying "discussed openly" that the cong responded to the speaker with questions during the meeting? I don't think so. This was NOT discussed openly. Yep, thats what I thought. I know from experience that things are not discussed openly. You get to listen to the speaker and thats that.

TR

UADNA-WA
    Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America- Washington Division

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

Matrix - that wasn't 'discussed openly'... it was told to you by an elder. Just because he has good grooming re: JWs, doesn't mean he's not being told what to say.

Practice what you preach - test these things to see if they really are true. Don't allow yourself to blindly follow anyone, regardless of who they are.

Mimilly

"Our lives begin to end, the day we become silent, about things that matter" ~~Martin Luther King

• LB
    LB

Well Matrix it's simply amazing that you have a copy of that letter. Amazing.

But still, it's called damage control.

Did you watch the show Matrix? Hear how watchtower legal told Bill to not get involved unless the child molestor admitted to it?

Oh and an open discussion would involved members of the congregation responding to said elders comments with thoughts of their own. No not like a watchtower study where you simply highlight the correct answers either. An open study would be where some of the members actually have the freedom to express their concerns about the society without fears of sanctions.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Sounds to me that this elder at least is allowing open and free dialog on the subject. He said that the pedophile would be turn over to the authorities and be punished but he didn't say that the convicted pedophile would be DF or not allowed to go out in door to door ministry. Well at least some elders are discussion the problem.

Will

"I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's."
    Mark Twain

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, TR, I'm sure it was "discussed openly" in the same way that The Watchtower study is an "open discussion."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit