What is truth?

by Heisenberg 114 Replies latest jw friends

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    ALL religions are a cult. Christians worship Jesus (or Mary)

You did not say ALL "Christians" so your statement is not all false. JW do not worship Jesus but view Jesus same as Jews viewed King David for example but even higher than that believing that Jesus is the" Messiah" so JW love and respect and esteem Jesus in is his Messianic role," the chief agent of life," without worshiping him understating that he is inferior to God (God does not assume the role of Messiah otherwise the messiah would be self anointed ).and appreciate his loyalty and devotion and obedience to Jehovah, as a fellow creature and also because of Jesus' self sacrifice that resulted in human salvation.

Getting back to truth, "Truth that leads to eternal life" is a book that contained the truth back in time but today a lot of that information is no longer the truth, hence truth is not what people think the Bible says, however, truth is God's promises that never change and will be fulfilled when the time comes. -Revelation 21:4,5

• david_10
    david_10

What is truth?

That's a tough question. I've grappled with it for decades.

What is truth? What is truth?

I have finally figured out the answer, though. I've read all the replies and comments (and all of them excellent, by the way), but it looks like I'm the only one who has figured out the answer to the eternal question, WHAT IS TRUTH?

Are you ready?

Truth is anything you want to believe. If you believe it, it's the truth.

David

• Listener
    Listener
    • Fisherman - Getting back to truth, "Truth that leads to eternal life" is a book that contained the truth back in time but today a lot of that information is no longer the truth, hence truth is not what people think the Bible says, however, truth is God's promises that never change and will be fulfilled when the time comes. -Revelation 21:4,5
    • There is a question on JW org asking 'What is Truth' and it says this in part
    • This disdainful attitude toward truth is shared by many today, including religious leaders, educators, and politicians. They hold that truth—especially moral and spiritual truth—is not absolute but relative and ever changing. This, of course, implies that people can determine for themselves what is right and what is wrong. (Isaiah 5:20, 21)
    • Thanks for the reminder about the 'truths' held in the book written by the WTBTS and how it has changed, therefore we can see that the JWs must include themselves in that statement.

• prologos
    prologos
    Truth should be what we perceive and know for a fact. to illustrate, the colours of a rainbow are real, as they are created in the brain. but every rainbow seen is a different one from the one of your neighbour. To the extent that the cause is real, truth can be true, beautiful. The trouble starts when the pot of gold or paradise is assumed to be at the base.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    therefore we can see that the JWs must include themselves in that statement.

Non sequitur, WT has never taught that the truth of God's word has ever changed and neither does the attitude that they comment on referenced in your post represent that of JW.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

The best and most honest phrase in the bible is when Pontius Pilate asked "What is Truth?"

• Listener
    Listener
    Fisherman -
    Non sequitur, WT has never taught that the truth of God's word has ever changed and neither does the attitude that they comment on referenced in your post represent that of JW.
    • They have themselves changed the Bible, deleting certain scriptures that they had previously included in their bible is just one example.

Quote from JW org re Truth - They hold that truth—especially moral and spiritual truth—is not absolute but relative and ever changing.

They hold to this view by their ever changing doctrines, both in re-interpretations and flip flopping on ideas.

This, of course, implies that people can determine for themselves what is right and what is wrong.

This is what they conclude when there is ever changing truth. They get to choose what is right and what is wrong by their own interpretations. There are many examples of them changing their minds about what is right and what is wrong, I am sure you are familiar with some of them.

As for truth from God's word, that doesn't change.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    They have themselves changed the Bible, deleting certain scriptures that they had previously included in their bible is just one example.

God has allowed mismatches in the various copies of the original Bible texts that have survived that are being used as the source text in Bible translations so a resulting version of the Bible from source texts is subject to what source text are used. The WT has qualified changes to the NWT by citing older source texts now being used and other reasons, but again, Bible translations rely upon various versions of ancient source texts. Knowing various languages, I will tell you that translation requires interpretation and for someone that does not know the base language and is only reading the translation is missing a lot of flavor, nonetheless, the substance is there. I am happy with the NWT. Keep in mind that you are not reading the Bible sort of speak but only an interpretation of what the Bible says from the copies of original source texts that have survived.

They hold to this view by their ever changing doctrines, both in re-interpretations and flip flopping on ideas.

No they don't. They qualify what they mean in the article that you refer to with the Scripture they cite in the article.

This is what they conclude when there is ever changing truth. They get to choose what is right and what is wrong by their own interpretations. There are many examples of them changing their minds about what is right and what is wrong, I am sure you are familiar with some of them.

No they do not. That is what you say that they conclude. JW do not decide for themselves what is right and wrong. They look to the Bible. What is true is that JW have sometimes have had to change what they believe the Bible means but they never decide for themselves what is right and wrong independent from the Bible which is what they mean in the passage you quoted above in connection with people they refer to as doing bad inspite of what the Bible has always taught is bad. Some people use JW change in what they teach as a pretext against JW so they can justify whatever they want is right and wrong . But JW have done no wrong in adjusting their beliefs in light of facts and clearer understanding. The Bible is written in the form of an ironic poem crossword puzzle and there is nothing bad or wrong in not understanding it all but trying to solve. If you have ever done a crozzword puzzle you know that you have to write with a pencil.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    JW do not decide for themselves what is right and wrong. They look to the Bible. What is true is that JW have sometimes have had to change what they believe the Bible means but they never decide for themselves what is right and wrong independent from the Bible

Erm.... Perhaps you can explain then why the current Generation teaching can only be explained with numerous charts, diagrams and JWB sessions rather than with even one simple Biblical reference.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"What is truth?"

Truth can be subjective. "You are a jackass!" is a truthful statement, but loaded with opinion. Others can make a truthful statement that disagrees.
    I have seen a green car that was listed as "blue." That is truthful because blue is used with yellow to make up green. But my thought is that such a listing is misleading in order to dump a green car.
    My truthful statement is that believers go too far with this and accept that their beliefs which cannot be absolutely proven false are true. But they only accept that this goes as far as "their" beliefs. As an example, Christians typically deny Muslim or Hindu beliefs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit