What is truth?

by Heisenberg 114 Replies latest jw friends

• Bella15
    Bella15

Biblically speaking ... Jesus is the Truth ...

Are you aware of all the obsolete books and magazines for which the watchtower made millions of dollars selling door to door? P L E A S E ,,, you call this preaching work ... Christians for hundreds of years have been using the bible only to preach the gospel and guess what still the same in December 23, 2014 , Christians don't have to play the new light card every so a couple of years ... Jesus the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.

• factfinder
    factfinder

Welcome Heisenberg!

After discovering ttatt I no longer believe in anything.

You are correct that none of the christian religions are true, certainly not any others, Islam, Buddists etc.

I was born and raised Jewish, after discovering the witnesses are not God's organization I no longer believe in Jesus anymore either but I no longer believe in Judaism which I gave up as a teenager.

I am not an athiest and do not know if evolution is true or not. I am not sure if God exists, but if he does, he does not seem to care about us.

I do not agree I have to chose one of your options.

It will be interesting to hear your responses to some of the comments posted on this thread.

• prologos
    prologos

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle states that we can no only one fact(truth) about a thing, not all, so:

we have the universe and how it works we can not know the 'truth' beyond that.

could you expand on the deist option? and accept that the bible and similar book-based religions are guesswork? badly done with limited knowledge?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Heisenberg, I was once a carbon copy of you. Nearly a born-in, Elder, delivered parts in Assemblies, etc. I was utterly convinced that I belonged to the uniquely special people who had the truth about God and his exclusive aproval. I've lead a moral life. I snubbed 'wordly people' and believers of other religions. I could debunk every 'false teaching' using the Bible alone and had all JW chronology in my head. I led others into baptism as JW's. I never made friends outside the religion. I thought apostates were but fools and weaklings. I believed Armaggedon was around the corner, and I really cherished the prospect of living forever in an earthly paradise. I even thought that, even if the JWs had the prophecies all wrong, living the JW way of life was still the best life you could lead.

This religion took about four decades of my life. I recognize now that this religion deliberatedly caused my ability to think critically to be seriously rudimentary, incipient enough to be useless in seeing through the doctrinal lies, deceptions, and obfuscations promoted by the leadership of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I'm still learning to use my critical thinking, well into my 40's, and feel ashamed it took me so long to wake up from my coma. Like most ex-JW's the more I distance myself from JW-land, the more I see the absurdity of it all, especially the doctrinal framework that pervades every aspect of the life within the Organization and how it is used to control the individual Witnesses and erase them as individuals, making them mere cloned parts of a massive, Orwellian society.

Our ill-feelings usually aren't directed at the rank & file Witnesses; for the most part they tend to be really nice people who try their best to live up to what they believe to be 'Godly Standards'. We get frustrated because they, like most of us once, act as douchebags simply because they've been indoctrinated to believe they're special and above the rest of mankind. But then we remember that most of them don't know any better, they don't know how to be any other way. They are like a tree that grew up twisted and deformed by the wind.

However, the leadership, the Governing Body and those up in the organizational ladder don't deserve any kind words. They ought to know better and they actually know better. They know what they're doing. Whether they have become 'prisioners of a concept', or simply cogniscent conmen, these men deserve to be considered criminals, harshly criticized and opposed. They directly impact the lives of millions, and with that comes great responsability. They must be accountable and their actions thoroughly exposed. They don't deserve special reverence just because they claim to be "brothers of Christ", when their actions indicate otherwise. Sure, this also applies to many other religious leaders, but this forum is about the Jehovah's Witnesses, as I'm sure there are other forums about other religions. We gather here because this is our common background and we discuss what we have been through.

That said, welcome to this forum.

Eden

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

"Truth" is whatever the GB says is "true" at a given time!

• Mandrake
    Mandrake

Welcome Heisenberg... Hey! Remember that words doesn't have only one meaning... If you look up the meaning we use here for CULT that is:
    Note that the below definition is the first that appears when you loop up at www.tfd.com

cult

(kŭlt)

n. 1. a. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader. -or- A religious organization or movement which deviates from the established religious tradition in the community.

• Heaven
    Heaven

What is truth?

Without death, there would be no life here on Earth.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

EdenOne, I really appreciate your post #1447.

It's really nice to see how much you've changed, grown and developed since you first began posting here!

Well done.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Oubliette - "Don't forget your uncertainty principle!"

Damn; beat me to it.

Welcome, Heisenberg; it ain't all that often we get a poster who quotes Pontius Pilate.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

EdenOne - "I feel ashamed it took me so long to wake up from my coma."

Don't.

The structure that induces the coma is very effective, and without any other frame of reference during your formative years, what else did you have to compare it to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit