TV.JW.ORG is coming!

by Oubliette 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Zoos
    Zoos

This JW TV thing could be a God-send. (*ahem*)

As many times as Pat Robertson has made an ass of himself on the 700 Club, our precious governing body will likely do the same on the 144,000 Club - digitally recorded for future reference, playback and general amusement.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

The 144,000 club! Lol! I'm so using that when I "officially"find out about this

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I have a feeling the lawyers of watchtower will have more control over broadcast content than 700 Club attorneys do over Pat Robertson. I could be wrong.

• label licker
    label licker

Yeah, right on, Zoos! Spreading (as the elders stated at my judicial hearing and I have it on tape) our magazines of half truths all over the world.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

wannabefree - "Could this TV announcement be the thing that was speculated would be hard for older JW's to accept?"

"Direction that seems strange or impractical from a human standpoint", huh?

OneEyedJoe - "The 144,000 club! Lol! I'm so using that when I 'officially' find out about this"

By all means, feel free.

• hildebrando
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

wannabefree - "Could this TV announcement be the thing that was speculated would be hard for older JW's to accept?"

Actually, the irony is that TV is NOT strange and IT IS totally practical from a human standpoint. What is STRANGE is that WT resisted for so long. Now they have to eat their words.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

I can just see them prayin' on the set a la Pat Robertson with eyes firmly shut. Shoot, if you donate enough on your debit card, they might even mention you in the prayer- "there's a pioneer brother who needs $495 to pay his garage apt. rent, please Jehovah see to it that he receives that money from a fellow brother that has a good paying job..."

• hoser
    hoser

They could play Caleb cartoons for the kids to watch on saturday morning, oops, Saturday afternoon

• hildebrando
    hildebrando

*** w86 11/15 p. 21 Insight on the News ***

TV Evangelism—God’s Way?

If Jesus Christ were on earth today, asserted TV evangelist Jim Bakker, “he’d have to be on TV.” Why television? Because, according to Bakker, “that would be the only way he could reach the people he loves.” Like Bakker, an increasing number of fundamentalist preachers in the United States feel that television is the best medium for spreading the Word of God. Yet, a 1984 study showed that, for the most part, TV evangelists “reinforce people already committed to evangelical religion.”

Interestingly, in a letter to the editor of the magazine Ministry, one reader wrote: “You said they [television sets] are the church’s most powerful gospel seed-sowing tools, and yet God says the most essential work is house-to-house visitation—soul hunting. . . . Our Saviour loved to get away from the multitude, and then He went from house to house—soul hunting. The one-soul audience was His delight. . . . Can we not do the same?”

According to Jesus Christ, the purpose of the Christian ministry was not just to ‘spread the Word’ but to “make disciples.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) He directed his followers to go to people’s homes. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) The apostle Paul accepted this preaching method and said regarding his ministry: “I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.” The personalized house-to-house ministry of the disciples reaped good results.—Acts 5:42; 20:20.

If Jesus laid such emphasis on this method of preaching in order to make disciples, why do many evangelists prefer TV as their medium? The Courier-Mail of Brisbane, Australia, notes that TV evangelists “make up to $120 million a year selling salvation. They appear in a blaze of electrified power and glory on 300 TV stations, and are worshipped like pop idols. . . . For all their tactics, these men who claim to manipulate even God, come down in the end to a straight business deal. Send them $10 and they will send you to heaven.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit