TV.JW.ORG is coming!

by Oubliette 105 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Watching the monthly recording w/Lett right now - this is precious!

Apostates will have more material than they'll know what to do with!

Back to the show. . . .

• 4thgen
    4thgen

*** g78 4/22 p. 7 How Television Can Hurt ***

How Television Can Hurt

AT ONE time, some researchers thought that television programs did not have any lasting negative influence. A few even claimed that programs featuring violence could help by serving as "safety valves," helping to curb such tendencies in people.

But that was before there had been enough time to analyze the effects of the viewing of TV programs for years. Now, prolonged studies almost unanimously agree that, when improperly used, TV can hurt, and hurt badly.

It Does Influence

The claim that a steady diet of TV programs featuring violence, depravity and immorality has little or no effect does not stand up to scrutiny. If this is so, then why do companies spend billions of dollars advertising their products and services on TV?

These advertisers know that TV, as a medium of communication, has a profound effect. Their advertising conditions people mentally so that they will buy their products. Surely, the commercial leaders of the world are not so simple-minded as to throw away money if TV advertising has little or no effect.

The same is the case with the content of TV programs. People are bound to be influenced one way or another by spending large amounts of time watching them.

To say that a steady diet of bad TV programs has little effect on the mind is like saying that a steady diet of bad food has little effect on the body’s health. To a large extent, your body’s health depends upon good food. Eat bad food long enough and your health will be damaged. In the same way, your mental health is largely determined by what you feed your mind. Too much bad mental food over a long period of time can adversely affect your mind.

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

They may not do away with meetings in favor of broadcasted content but I believe there will be a lot more broadcasted content at the meetings. Information control at its finest.

Brainfloss

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

There is an announcement for this on the home page of JW.org now.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

It's OK. No one apart from JWs are going to watch it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Data-Dog - "The North American dubs who stay loyal will be even more deluded because they will be told they survived a great sifting work by Jehobo!! Their kids will be even more bat-shit crazy. Becoming more controlling is what abusers do. They only want those who will allow themselves to be abused and controlled."

I can't help but wonder how many I knew growing up will feel weirded out enough to fade or leave as this gears up...

x

...maybe this is a blessing in disguise for XJWs, in that we'll find it that much easier to reconnect with long-lost relatives and acquaintences.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Still behind the times. Weird Al recently OWNED YouTube by releasing eight videos over eight days. He openly admits his medium is better suited to the little screen. He knows his market, and knows how to reach it.

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/jul/30/weird-al-yankovic-interview

Television is so eighties.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Weird Al has always pwned Youtube, even when he wasn't even trying to.

• rebel8
    rebel8

omg...I hope they're not going to have a Caleb vs. Sparlock cartoon. Please no cartoons. Think of the children.

They've made billions from "being different". That was always their thang--being different. Now they're retiring to a country estate off those riches. I wonder if they saw a decline and decided to "be mainstream" and make a few trillion on that for the rest of this century.

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

I watched it for about half hour today, really enjoyed it. The gentleman did stutter a couple of times, but it was the first day, I think he did great! I'll probably watch a little every day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit