Will JW.ORG actually harm the WT Society Long Term ?

by flipper 80 Replies latest jw friends

• scotoma
  • baltar447
    baltar447

You guys...

One tiny company out of New York that does dark fiber and everyone thinks they are going to become the next Time Warner.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I know. The funny thing is that the most reasonable and knowledgeable responses were on page 1 of the thread where this was first discussed, pointing out that the dark fiber company is probably being used to create Warwick's network (perhaps they'll actually broadcast from there). Then things started going off the rails as the less tech-savvy members started reading the thread.

• flipper
    flipper

Been out of town working. Man , hell- did this thread blow up or what ? LOL. I appreciate all of your insights.

APOGNOPHOS- Dude- the thread hasn't gone off the rails yet- it's just that lots of different people have varying opinions of where this JW.ORG thing is going to take the WT Society. Don't sweat it. We are all welcome to our opinions. And definitely I have my opinions as well. Which I will finally share after I see whether or not my San Fransisco Giants can beat the L.A. Dodgers tonight to stay alive to win the division in major league baseball. I will be back later and answer everybody individually to acknowledge your great takes and posts ! Take care , love and peace to all of my kinfolk here . See ya in a few hours. Gotta make my wife some dinner. Peace out,M r. Flipper

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Garyneal that was funny! I would love to see his face unless he had no clue what you were talking about.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I feel like I'm coming to the thread a bit late. But here goes..

I want jw.org to hurt them but I feel in my gut that it will somehow help them. Delusional members are already excited about how advanced the WTS is with the internet. This includes the Caleb cartoons and DVDs. The dubs I know are feeling like the organization has been given new energy and is really taking it up a notch - just before the end of the system - you know, to save more people. I think the website is poorly designed and out of date looking.

I also think that playing the videos at the door thing just sounds dumb. I can't imagine I would ever have the guts to actually do that. I was one who barely ever asked for a donation. It was easier and less embarrassing to just donate myself - twice. Once when I picked up my mags and once when I placed them with someone.

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for all the responses. Got a good nights sleep so now I can think in order to respond. Page 1 first.

OUBLIETTE- Exactly. As I read this thread , like you mentioned Stuck in a Rut posted on here while at meetings and I noticed several others who were JW's or ended up exiting the JW's did this while surfing the JW.org site and ended up finding Jehovahs-Witness.net. So the crossover attention DOES happen as evidenced by some of the folks responses here.

GALAXIE- I agree with you. I think it was partly a panic thing on WT leaders part also. I feel the WT Society HAS created JW.org as a reactionary knee jerk type thing to counter all the " apostate " websites because I think WT leaders realize that they cannot monitor or keep a close eye on what JW's look at in the privacy of their own homes- so why not give J-dubs a website to look at to counter all the " apostate " sites ? It seemed inevitable that WT Society would do this even if just to save face and try to stem the tide of anti-WT websites out there. Believe me- there's a hell of a lot more anti-WT Society websites than websites supporting WT Society.

PUNKOFNICE- I concur with you WT leaders are reactionary to negative occurences instead of being proactive . I mean one look at their child abuse policies shows us that, right ? As you say I do not think the jw.org will sink them but what I mean in my thread title of " harming them long term " is that when people google Jehovah's Witnesses all these other websites will pop up and people being the curious animals that they are WILL take a peep or a look at these other sites. Maybe not the devout JW , but a good number will and THAT defeats the purpose of or slows down the effect of JW.org. in my opinion.

ON THE WAY OUT- You make some good points. WT Society IS between a rock and a hard place in that they HAVE to try to keep up with modern technology in having a website, going on the Internet, etc. because literature is gradually being reduced of being printed- I mean look at how small and how much fewer pages their magazines have now ! It's amazing. So I think they ARE leaning in the direction of doing things totally online. As you mentioned they are losing a lot of younger born-ins at least 66 % of them according to some reports so they have to take drastic measures in my opinion. I agree with you that WT getting on the Internet might look cool to older ones, but the under 50 crowd can see through it, not cool at all.

ONE-EYED JOE- You are a good example of somebody who came on this website by checking out jw.org first then you saw this website and flipped over. And you were " mentally out within 3 days " ? Wow. Awesome. You bring up a VERY good point in that where else are doubting JW's going to go if they need support for their hidden doubts ? Elders, nope. Other " brothers & sisters ", nope. These will all rat them out and cause them to be brought up before a JC. So the only option left out of very few options is to google other websites dealing with the Jehovahs Witnesses or WT Society subject that are NOT JW.org and guess what ? A WHOLE new world opens up before their eyes. A world of freedom and access to information that as a JW they NEVER saw before !

ALL FOR SHOW- Thanks for your views . So here you are 37 years old and you are seeing that many other young JW's are not taking what the WT Society is doing seriously either. Even though WT leaders put up a new website JW.org. it doesn't fool young JW's. That is another point I'm trying to make too. It might fool older , more indoctrinated JW's who have been in the cult for 40 + years - but younger people see through it. Interesting take, thanks. You too are an example of someone who clicked here by mistake yet your mind has been blown by the things you read !

GONZOBEAR- VERY good point you bring out that part of the WT Society's plan in regards to JW.org is to bury their past and keep newer JW's totally unaware of failed prophecies like 1975 and Rutherfords " millions now living will never die " thing from the mid 1920's. Just like in George Orwells book 1984- if the WT leaders can act like none of their bat shit crazy views ever existed- then they feel they can't be held accountable for them. Out of sight , out of mind as you will. And your 2nd point I totally agree with as well, they put up JW.org to distract attention from sites like this in order to keep JW's and others from accessing information about WT Society crimes, injustices, and errors. I totally agree. It was a reactionary move.

STILL TOTALLY ADD- Good points you make. You are an example again of someone who out of curiosity came onto this site to see what the other side had to say. You said 50 % of JW's check out these other sites ? Probably true, it may be even more if these sites outnumber JW.org 10 to 1 . And I agree WT leaders are old farts and they won't do anything about anything unless they feel forced to in a reactionary type of way. So JW.org serves the purpose of putting up a website to try to offset " apostate " websites while trying to lure in other converts online. Another way to " spread the bad news of the kingdom . " LOL.

VIDIOT- Funny stuff. I think WT leaders ARE going through a mid-life growth process. LOL.

PHIZZY- I agree. You make the point I'm saying as well- many people JW's get here by mistake, or accidentally. Then once they come on here their mouths drop open and they get hypnotized and can't stop reading about all the WT Society train wrecks ! LOL. Then their minds start opening up. And that's a good thing.

SONOFTHETRINITY- WT Society may very well be starting an online service to try to educate their people in ways of indoctrination- but I seriously don't believe the WT society can stop people from getting access to information on other websites.

CLARITY- Good points you make. I do think many hardcore Witnesses won't be shaken from their JW roots- however the fact that many JW's will stumble upon this site and other ex-JW sites dispensing factual information what you say is true- it will produce a stronger base more numbers of ex- JW's who will be giving out factual information to lurking JW's sitting on the fence. And that's a good thing.

KEYSER SOZE- Indeed I agree with you. This JW.org IS damage control designed to try to stem the tide of anti-WT websites. It will never stop those sites though from putting out factual information exposing the WT Society. It's kind of like the cows are out of the barn now and the farmer is trying to round them up ! LOL. The " apostate " cows have left the country ! It's too late for the WT Society.

WANNABEFREE- You make a good point that in the short term JW.org may hurt them make them lose some members who get curious about checking out other sites- but like the 1975 debacle in time WT Society recovered and started progressing again in numbers. You may be correct in that view. Might be very accurate. We shall see I guess. Good points.

OUTLAW- I agree that long time JW's who are indoctrinated deeply won't make any changes, but the under 50 crowd who more abundantly use the internet to research may very well check out other JW or WT websites while surfing the internet. When they google so many other sites come up it will give any of them who are curious the chance to check out other sites . And that's a good thing.

I'll be back to answer page 2 and 3 a little later ! Thanks for your responses ! Keep em coming ! Peace out. Mr. Flipper

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I'm going to give you my experience with the internet. I could never understand with all the fine admonition regarding marriage, why the society had never printed any statical data giving proof. For a couple of weeks I investigated through the publications and found nothing. At this same time I had an acquaintance who was a born again Christian and he mentioned to me that the divorce rate is roughly about the same for born agains as what it is for the general public. This made me more curious, and wanting to dig deeper. By this time although I hadn't gone near apostate sites I was researching on the net with the view to Christians in general. Out of frustration with getting no concrete answers out of jw.org publications I thought what the hell I'll google it. With in seconds I had an answer and from there everything opened up.

• flipper
    flipper

O.K. For pg. 2 responses !

VIDIOT- I agree with Outlaw's takes on most everything, but on the WT Society really increasing and progressing it's ranks because of JW.org ? I don't buy into it. Sure they are attempting to be their own Internet provider - however not EVERY JW will use the WT Society as an internet provider. I say that because the WT Society in all it's controlling ways may put some clause in there to the effect to limit JW's access to other internet information. To the WT Society it's all about power and control over their followers- and that won't sell well with the under 50 yrs. of age crowd. I agree with you that the WT Society is consciously trying to misdirect JW's from the real issues by providing JW.org though.

SCOTOMA- Interesting take. Outlaw does make some good points.

STEVE 2- Indeed JW.org may make JW's MUCH lazier than they already are in their lagging field service activity. Their minds might really turn to mush being on JW.org too much. All they get is rinse & repeat information anyway.

GARY NEAL- EXactly. WT Society has been trying to bury it's past for some time now. And having a wwebsite in which they can control or even providing an Internet service which they can control will assist them to be even MORE deceptive and hide things more so !

VIVIANE- Good point. With more information online peoplec an compare the WT Society's former views with what they are posting on JW.org and see the changes for themselves.

STUCKINARUT2- I'm glad that you stumbled onto this site my friend ! I'm glad that you can access this site during your meetings ! Good for you.

LOVE2BEWORLDLY- Exactly what I'm referring to as well. Even on this thread so far lots of people have stated they stumbled onto Jehovahs Witness.net kind of inadvertently by mistake looking for JW.org. And that's the point I'm trying to make. Once these people get to looking at this site it opens up a whole new awareness or a whole new world to them that was been kept hidden from them by the WT Society so as to keep JW's under information control. So it's a good thing when people start googling JW or WT Society stuff because it will take them to multiple websites for information .

OUTLAW- I agree with you that by the WT Society providing their own internet service it will prevent SOME JW's from looking into other apostate websites- however- I doubt very seriously that all of the " under 50 yrs.old " JW's will go for the WT Society providing them internet service. Especially the tech-savvy JW's who would still want access to many other different websites , not just " apostate " sites - but whatever websites the WT Society would try to prevent or control them from seeing.

I think the cat is out of the bag so to speak regarding WT Society's attempts at information control and smart or tech savvy younger JW's aren't going to be told what to do or see very easily. Only older non tech savvy JW's will coooperate with what " mother " WT world tells them to do. I still think the WT Society trying to be their own Internet provider is a " reactionary " action just like it was providing their own website JW.org. I think they are scared shitless that lots of negative information is being dispersed everywhere online about WT injustices, crimes, and false predictions on their part- so like George Orwells 1984 - they are taking measures to re-write or totally erase their version of their " history ". It's truly a pathetic attempt on their part to continue their legacy of dishonesty towards JW members and the public. I don't think they will be successful in the end. Their organization WILL continue - but too much of a tidal wave of negative information has cast them into a really negative light - and WT Society will slowly, gradually go downhill with time. Not overnight- but with time.

FINKELSTEIN- Indeed I agree. The fact that many JW's and others have access to all these other websites will in time open up some of their eyes if they are sitting on the fence pondering their future as JW's. It won't affect the fanatic JW's, just the ones who may be doubting anyway.

KONCEPTUAL99- Good point. WT Society already has lots of coals in their worlwide fires- managing a worldwide Internet service trying to make sure that every JW would USE that Internet service would be next to impossible dealing with 8 million people . I'm sure some JW's WOULD use it- but not all. The problem with WT leaders is that they try to control everything and everybody- and they are finding out in time that it's impossible to control everything and everybody - it's a bitter pill for them to swallow because it's been the nature of WT leaders to DO just that for 148 years since 1876 . But it's a triumph for freedom of mind and for freedom of information that WT leaders won't be able to accomplish that control.

JW GONE BAD- My point precisely. Like you say many younger JW's are NOT going to allow the WT Society to control what they can or cannot see on the internet. JW's are so cheap they would only go for a free internet provider anyway. It would be really funny if the WT Society charged JW's a boatload of money for providing internet to them. Hey why not ? WT Society screws JW's in lots of other ways ! Why not make money off of em in that way like all the other ways too ! LOL.

NEW YORK 44M- " the internet is a mine field for the inquiring mind. " So yeah, I think most JW's won't go along with being told what to look at on the Internet. The cows have already left the barn so to speak as regards information control with " apostate " sites. Too little, too late for the WT Society to stop the tide of information.

BERRYGERRY- Hopefully those with more than 2 brain cells WILL do the research to see how deceptive the WT Society is.

SMIDDY- Yeah, I agree with you- JW youths are a LOT different than JW youths of say the 1960's or 1970's - back then we all were told to pioneer and just accepted what the WT Society said at face value - but that has all changed 40 or 50 years later with todays apathetic younger JW's. Most of them doubt the WT Society themselves and don't give a damn what they are counseled to do or not do. A lot more independent thinking in todays JW youth and it will lead to a gradual decline in the WT Society's ability to control their future. Which is a good thing.

JOE134cd- Yeah, I agree. I can see the JW cult losing several million members within the next 40 years. With the big A not coming many younger JW's are going to get fidgety. nervous, and will want to live their lives in an uncontrolled fashion.

EDMOND DANTES- " We belong to JW.org but are continually lost in the mist and forg. " I like it, good stuff.

BRUH 2012- Exactly. JUst about a year ago WT Society was very stricltly counseling JW's NOT to go on the Internet, now it's O.K. as long as WT leaders say it is to their website. What's the old expression ? " If you can't beat em, join em " ? Probably what WT leaders are thinking regarding " apostate " websites.

BALTAR 447- I agree. The cost of WT Society providing Internet service would be really too much. WT Society has too many other things going on- like paying out millions $$$$ in child abuse lawsuit cases right now ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

I'll be back and answer page 3 responders in a little while . Thanks for your responses ! Peace out !

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Let it be clearly acknowledged that the inter-net is doing harm toward the WTS., as toward exposing much as of its indulgent corruption.

The only recourse for them to take was advise their members to not go on to web sites that intensionally expose that inherent corruption.

Was it the WTS's intent to counteract that information by putting up their own web site ? , well not really over time they realized that the

inter-net was a much cheaper way to distribute their articles and self devised bent bible theology .

Another reason why they closed down so many branches in Europe and abroad.

I'm with others here in that the WTS will no doubtable create financial advantages by going inter-net publishing but they are putting their members closer to the real

exposing Truth about their very own corrupt religious publishing house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit