If you don't believe in God, Jesus, and everything in the Bible, you are willfully ignorant.

by defender of truth 104 Replies latest watchtower bible

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Removed, Blondie is rigth.

Terry, is way more complicated.

Ismael

• Terry
    Terry

Begin with the very LARGE difference between "Subjective" (how you see it) and objective (how it really is.)

Subjective values say, "IT IS GOOD" because I like it.

Objective values say, "I LIKE IT" because it is good.

Personal tastes are subjective. What is "evidence" to you doesn't have to be evidence for everybody else.

I can say, "My daughter is very beautiful."

You can say, "I don't think she's beautiful at all."

Subjectively, we are both equally right and equally wrong.

It has been my experience for Subjective people to become very anxious when others don't agree.

Objective people don't really care if you can't come to the same conclusions, because you are free to disagree without it damaging anything.

• jam
    jam

A person transporting packages containing illegal drugs, assert

that he was never asked what the contents of the packages

were and so lacked the requisite intent to break the law, (willful

blindness).

We know what is in the package, and it doesn't look good.

W are not "willfully ignorant". LOL

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Bingo Terry!!

• blondie
    blondie

If ablebodied man posted this on another thread today, why is everyone responding here?

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

I love it when someone writes or tells me they believe in (a) the Bible, (b) Jesus, (c) God, (d) the particular religion they belong to "because there is so much evidence."

Then when you ask them what evidence? they answer that it "is in my heart" or "the world around us."

The only evidence they are presenting is that they choose to remain ignorant and ignore "so much evidence" that the Bible, Jesus, God and their particular religion are not so special and have no reason to exist.

This reminds me of the time I asked a person who claimed to be "one of the anointed" how he knew he was "one of the anointed"? Same kind of answer - "I know because there is so much evidence that proves it to me."

The reality is that we all think we are something special. Behind my eyes is "me" to me. I have a window on the world that no one, not even the person in the same room or standing next to me has. While I care about those close to me or someone within my visual limitations - there are billions of people and places that I can not relate to at all - and never will. But I am special, because I exist behind my eyes and se what I see.

People feel that they must affirm their belief in a god in order to have some validity in whatever place they exist. Jehovah God means nothing to some tribesman in Tibet, just as Vishnu means nothing to a cowboy in South Dakota. But there is just as much evidence that Vishnu is almighty god as there is for Jehovah. And just as much evidence that Buddha was the bearer of god's word as Jesus was. But if your feet are planted in Rome as opposed to the Australian Outback, then your impression of what is "so much evidence" will be entirely different. Remember the "Cargo Cults" of the Pacific Islanders? They truly believed that gods were in those airplanes and that someday one of them would land in their village and bless them all. Look! there goes another one over our heads!

Bart Ehrman's books and lectures make it so clear and he presents so much evidence that 90% of what modern Christian religions teach is just so much bullshit - and most of what we know is based on Greek and Roman theology and culture. Why are there "graven images" in Catholic and Orthodox churches when the Ten Commandments specifically ban "graven images"? Because Greece and Rome created and admired statues of their emperors, gods, and heroes.

Even the JW materials present both Jehovah and Jesus as old white men with white hair. Yes, one is a little younger than the other, but they both ride white horses (horses in heaven?) with an army of white guys also with white hair following behind them. So all the good and powerful persons in heaven are old white guys with white hair on white horses? Yeah, talk about all the evidence that proves the Bible is true.

End of rant...

JV

• defender of truth
    defender of truth

Blondie: The thread he posted this on was meant to be a simple 'post if you are atheist/theist/agnostic poll' by minimus.
    I thought that, rather than let such a comment pass, or let it derail that poll, it deserved its own thread.
    Sorry I bothered..
    Before I leave yet another likely dead and pointless thread..

ABLEBODIEDMAN, when you say that you believe the entire Bible, does that include this verse?:
    2 Thessalonians 1:7-9 New International Version (NIV)

"7) and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels.
    8) He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.
    9) They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his might"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

If you believe in God, Jesus, and everything in the Bible, you are willfully ignorant.

Why ? because scientific discoveries has shown the ancient Hebrews were just as ignorant as all other ancient civilizations of that era of human history.

These people textually scribed their embellished stories and ignorance to create their own inherent mythology, in trying to create greater relevance and power to their particular god YWHA.

The bible should only be used as a historical reference toward ancient mythological study.

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

I think he is the ignorant. Many of the Bible prophecies are false. But, about the histories of Genesis and Exodus we have many absurdities.

According to the Bible, Adam was created no more 6100 years ago. How could we have human fossils that are many thousand of years before "creation" of Adam and Eve?. All the geological and paleontological evidence PROVES beyond the slightest scintilla of a doubt that THERE WAS A WORLD BEFORE ADAM. Most of the dating techniques of scientists -- uranium-argon, potassium-thorium, racemization and thermaluminescence -- as well as observation and logic conclusively show that the rocks under our feet, the bones of ancient animals, and even the charcoal campfires of Paleo-Indians, Neanderthal man, and other ancient hominid remains, are MUCH OLDER than 6,000 years.

How could we get, from couples of animals coming from the mountains of Ararat, the great current diversity of species in the Amazon Jungle ? The two flood-surviving members of each species don’t provide enough genetic variation to guarantee their futuristic representation in the ecosphere. More specifically, diseases and genetic defects had a great chance of pushing them into extinction due to the lack of essential variety at the molecular level.

There is no evidence that the events described in Exodus ever happened. As the archaeologists Israel Finkelstein and Neil Silberman noted:

[W]e have no clue, not even a single word, about the early Israelites in Egypt: neither in monumental inscriptions on the walls of temples, nor in tomb inscriptions, nor in papyri. Israel is absent – as a possible foe of Egypt, as a friend, or as an enslaved nation

Most historians today agree that at best, the stay in Egypt and the Exodus occurred in a few families and that their private story was expanded and “nationalized” to fit the needs of theological ideology.

Israeli archaeologist Ze’ev Herzog, provides the current consensus view on the historicity of the Exodus:

The Israelites never were in Egypt. They never came from abroad. This whole chain is broken. It is not a historical one. It is a later legendary reconstruction – made in the seventh century [BCE] – of a history that never happened.

• BackseatDevil
    BackseatDevil

Historically speaking, not even the bible is evidence of the bible. LOL.

That's fine. The simple minded tend to enjoy boxes where the unknowns are presented in a way that has been comfortable for thousands of years. Whether it was Ra, Zeus, YHWH, or Jehovah, the SAME STORIES have existed through many revisions for a reason. People are willing to believe in them with all their hearts because of captivating literature. They are free from inquiry, wonderment, and void of the burden of questioning life and living.

For them, all life's problems are solved. There is nothing more to look for. Good for them.

Now... was there a point to this post?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit