Atheists and JWs are on the same footing!

by exWTslave 130 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exWTslave
    exWTslave

defender of truth

Question is not about amputee or breast cancer. Question is about what will one do if he has tried everything available on earth to solve his problem (let it be anything) in vain. Then he can make try with God—that’s all what I meant, that’s all what I did.

If you do not have such an urgency, enjoy your life!

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

cofty

"good point cofty. I see the difference. Mysteries that conjure up dreadful figures like satan the devil - and his nemesis god - need to be exposed as figments of overactive imaginations and as useful manipulative devices for scaring people into subservience." - Ruby

NO

I admire believers for being loyal to their experience of God for two important reasons. I am also regretting that I agreed with you in my previous post cofty as I see that you have misunderstood what I was saying. I was trying to emphsize that a pathological fear of satan can keep an individual in an unhealthy state of fear and subservience.

One reason is that I think there is a place for the indeterminacy that religion and science offers people - an important aspect of this imo is that both science and religion and other subjects then have opportunites to ask questions that have not been asked.

The second reason is that experiencing things is so much a part of consumerism nowadays it is refreshing to see loyalty to one experience. Moreover if that one experience which empowers you, also expresses ethical underpinnings that even those who do not share that experience can hold to then best wishes to you.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hi kate ,, woukd you not agree that indifference by a theistic god of whom cofty is referring ( the one who is deemed as loving and concerned for his creations )is entireky different from animals or so called imperfect humans.- galaxie

I am afraid I don't agree. Indifference by anyone is not the same as purposeful harm. There is a lot of evil in this world, greed, selfishness and gaining pleasure form other's misery. None of this can be compared with simply being indifferent. Many are so wrapped up with their own little world they have no comprehension of the world around them, God is the same in my eyes, wrapped up in his world of creation to even be bothered about the ant that gets trodden on by the human.

It's a natural disaster for the ant, but the human, like God is indifferent to such a small impact in his life.

Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Exjwslave - You are a prof of philosophy and yet you teach...

"If people are loving, nature too will be loving. If humans are careless, nature too will be careless—it’s all ccording to the vibrations we send. "

Your students deserve a refund.

Great minds have struggled for centuries to answer the challenge of theodicy. All the time you had the answer. It was all down to vibrations.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi kate... thanks for the reply.

You seem to see ' god 'as a being who is so preoccupied, that he is unaware of human tragedy / suffering.

This idea of course flies in the face of most theists who regard god as all seeing all knowing to the point that he will know future events.

What would be your opinion of this god (should he exist ) who indifferently with his foreknowledge and ability does zilch to prevent horrendous agony and suffering to his creations?

Best wishes

• KateWild
    KateWild

an important aspect of this imo is that both science and religion and other subjects then have opportunites to ask questions that have not been asked. - Ruby

This is a good point, I agree. Science and religion both fuel enquiry and discoveries are made and inventions are created. Life progresses. Nice point Ruby.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

What would be your opinion of this god (should he exist ) who indifferently with his foreknowledge and ability does zilch to prevent horrendous agony and suffering to his creations?-galaxie

I am not sure I understand the question. This is where a lot of atheists come unstuck. They claim.......................

If God exists he is evil

The point is they don't belive he does exist so specualting on his personality is something I cannot comprehend. I don't believe God wrote the bible, I don't belive God punishes or rewards, hence I don't believ e your question makes sense. I am not angered by suffering I am angred by the evil I see in other humans and animals. I hold those to account that I can see are accountable.

If a dog savagely attacked another dog, or child or cat, I would hold the dog accountable for it's actions and punish the dog if it were in my power to do so. In the UK many would have this savage beast put down.

Deaths from natural disasters could be prevented from being so high if governments were held to account more. Building on fault lines is a recepie for disaster, not using proper materials and evacuating at the right times is a recepie for disaster. Very rarely does a natural disaster occur without warning. Then there is the clean up after a disaster, this all too often takes far to long and citizens living in squalor for many years after.

Kate xx

• Bugbear
    Bugbear

As an convinced atheist since many years I have often wondered why intelligent people with a religious mind still say they believe in a God. Is it because of lack of information? Is it something that is programmed in our genes? Or is it just because a low score in IQ tests? None of these questions seems to have un obvious answer? But recently an Idea has stroked my mind.

They believe in a god or gods because they want to.

With a faith in god Your future seems to be much better (either in heaven or with a never ending life on earth) . A faith in a God gives you some sort of a reason to continue life, there is hope!

Without a faith in God you have nothing to expect more than a total abolition. You will become nothing more than dust.

It is possible that when we went from only hunting to an agricultural human, and our frontal lobe started to grow, this part of a brain must protect itself from total chaos and disaster, by inventing I line of theory explanations, not to make us lunatic, in the hard world that surrounded us at that time.

What are your theories?

Bujgbear

• defender of truth
  • galaxie
    galaxie

Hi kate ...I do agree with most of your points re, more could be done by mankind to prevent and aid in the fight against suffering etc.

There are however tragedies which befall mankind which we have no control over.

The question which athiests ask re gods ability to intervene arises from the fact that theists claim there is such a being who could if he desires prevent these unforeseeable disasters.

The fact that I don't believe such a being exists prompts questions such as I have posed.

In the form of a discussion forum it is interesting to me the theists point of view, after all the people who are affected by suffering , torture, agony through no fault of their own may rightly wonder why the loving god they believe in has abandoned them to their fate.

The question I asked you is imo is quite straightforward.

Best wishes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit