Atheists and JWs are on the same footing!

by exWTslave 130 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exWTslave
    exWTslave

defender of truth

Your questions on 439: How many millions of years ago was this so-called Golden Age?

What matters is the fact that once animals were not predators—how long ago does not matter, and no one can be sure of it.

Your questions on 440: So if we act lovingly toward each other, natural disasters won't happen?

If egoism brought calamities in the history and in the physical world, naturally its opposite altruism will restore paradise! The research of Dr. Nelson and Dr. Dean Radin (2001)- Mass Mind Attention and Intention and Global consciousness Project–provides the most striking and persuasive evidence that mass Mind Attention and Intention affect the physical world. If enough of us meditated with thoughts of love and peace, we could smoothen out “Kozyrev Flow of time” and bring about global peace and harmony. Tsunamis of violence in human mind bring about the tsunamis in the physical world. Dr. Nelson says-“Thought does matter. Western concept that the thoughts are not important is wrong.”

The world has become too loveless and we know only of crime and violence. What is the effect of love? In this context, Dr. Len’s Hawaiian Ho’oponopono-(wishing good for others) is also relevant. Dr. Hew Len, a Hawaiian psychiatrist, discovered that a similar technique could increase health and happiness in the psychiatric ward he managed. Criminally insane and dangerous patients were kept in the ward. Psychologists quit on a monthly basis. Reporting sick by the staff was phenomenal. Care takers would walk in the ward with their backs against the wall, afraid of being attacked by the patients. Dr. Len, in addition to drug administered a novel therapy. After the rounds he would sit in his chamber and hold each patient’s case file in his hand. He would then keep saying-“I am sorry. I love you. Please forgive me.”This was Dr. Len’s Ho’oponopono technique. Within a few months a miracle happened. The patients that were shackled were allowed to walk freely. Others started getting off their heavy medication. The staff started enjoying coming back to work. Soon the staff outnumbered the patients. Today the ward is closed.

• cofty
    cofty

Kate - By definition a theist believes that god is intimately involved in human affairs in every moment. If you dont believe this you are a deist or atheist.

Blaming humans for natural disasters is only possible by living in an ivory tower. Humans have died from natural disasters for hundreds of thousands of years.

The answer to the question of suffering is blindingly simple once you exclude superstion. "Shit happens". This is the answer philosophers snd theologians have been groping for.

• KateWild
    KateWild

In the form of a discussion forum it is interesting to me the theists point of view, after all the people who are affected by suffering , torture, agony through no fault of their own may rightly wonder why the loving god they believe in has abandoned them to their fate.-galaxie

Yes I do believe that many feel abandoned by God, as I once did. But now I felt I was abandoned by my loved ones, God was not counted as one of those. Those that have the power to end our suffering and do not are evil, they see the abuse and fail to act, they cause the abuse and enjoy it. This is evil. I just don't imagine God is caring or kind. He is simply indifferent.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate - By definition a theist believes that god is intimately involved in human affairs in every moment. If you dont believe this you are a deist or atheist.-cofty

hahaha!!!! haven't we already established this months ago.

I have never blamed man for natural diasters, that's just silly. I agree many will always die from natural disasters it's a fact of life but, natural disaster are not evil, niether is the creator God. I don't like labelling myelf a deist as my beliefs are unique, but I am certainly not an atheist, or as you put it cofty, I just don't know it. Kate xx

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"By profession, I am an ordinary professor of philosophy in a University College." - ex

Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with reality, existence, knowledge, values, reason, judgment, and language. Philosophy is distinguished from other ways of addressing such problems by its critical, generally systematic approach and its reliance on rational argument. In more casual speech, by prolongation, "philosophy" can refer to "the most basic beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group".

I was going to respond to the post addressed to me. After reading this little detail, I realize that anything I'll write would be a waist of time.

How come you are a professor and can't identify flaws in your own thought process? You should be able to address problems using rational arguments. So far, you have used more logical fallacies that anyone else on this forum.

Never mind,

Ismael

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

exwtslave - you are soo soothing. I think yoga is a great way to achieve peace of mind, relaxation and detachment. I am skeptical about yuor claims re consciousness as I believe people need to struggle against the odds to bring in something new to benefit themselves and others.

• KateWild
    KateWild

exWTslave, Dr Len's experiment sounds very interesting if it's real. I personally find it hard to believe apart from the fact that the ward got closed down. How likely is it all these patients have probably re offended and are in different institutions.

I do believe if you treat people with love they are loving back to you.

Thanks for your story

Kate xx

• jgnat
    jgnat

Bugbear, I continue to call myself Christian even as my skepticism does not allow me the hope of an afterlife. I agree the belief I hold is a choice absent of evidence. Might I offer another reason? There is a part of us that reaches up to wonder, a higher purpose. No matter what we call it, and this can include Athiests, we are better when we reach to be better than ourselves.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Kate.. you say; "those that have the power to end suffering but don't are evil.

You therefore don't believe the god you think exists can end suffering ,..otherwise he would be deemed evil? Or are you talking in terms of human intervention?

Would you say your unique understanding of god is as a result of your feelings of abandonment by god(jehovah) which you once held.

You subsequently did not see god as one of your loved ones..Was that a purposeful downgrading of the god jehovah whom you once worshiped?

If so and I'm being presumptuous, perhaps it was as a form of punishment of god that you now see him the way you do because you feel he abandoned you when you needed his help.

Certainly not the actions of a loving caring god.

But also it has to be said the inaction because he does not exist, which is why unfortunately for mankind who experience disaster outwith our control there never can be supernatural intervention.

Best wishes

• KateWild
    KateWild

galaxie, very well put. I see your perspective. However my perspective is the opposite. People that inflict harm are evil, people that have the power to stop harm and don't are evil too. God is niether, but I see your pespective and why you are trying to corner me. Sadly I don't think you see my perspective, but you may.

That is also something that causes suffering, the inability to undestand anothers perspective. If I say it hurts then stop doing it, don't reply with a justification and continue to cause pain.

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit