Atheists and JWs are on the same footing!

by exWTslave 130 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

If your god is evil, why is there so much good in the world?

If your god is good why the suffering?-cofty

I did not say God was evil or good, IMO God is indifferent, he cares about no one or nothing and just creates complex things in nature, which nuture our desire to explore creation and evolution and nuture our desire to create and invent also. There is much pleasure and beauty in all this gaining of knowledge. Many are passionate about discovery and are driven by their sense of intrigue.

Kate you are an atheist - you just haven't realised it yet.-cofty

I have to admit I have been less vocal with God of late and not really praying that much, I did pray this morning about how isolated I felt, then my daughter replied to my text. I put it down to circumstances, not some magical being answering my prayers. If I had not texted there would have been no dialogue. I was thinking through my situation in my head. But listen cofty, young man I am no atheist niether was Einstein, my beliefs are very similar to his and Spinosa's God. I am unique though with a unique set of beliefs that make me happy.

I believe in God the Creator.

Kate xx

• sir82
    sir82

IMO God is indifferent, he cares about no one or nothing

I did pray this morning about how isolated I felt

I don't understand - what is the point of prayer then?

• Viviane
    Viviane

The universe is mathematically perfect

What does that mean? What would a mathematically imperfect universe look like and why?

• KateWild
    KateWild

I don't understand - what is the point of prayer then?-Sir82

I don't believe God listen's to prayers or answers them, I think prayer is talking to yourself. Meditating and thinking things through. It helps me gather my own thoughts, I suppose it's a habit too. Is there a purpose for me? No I don't think so. But I find myself praying now and again, but less than I used to.

Kate xx

Viv - I am not entirely sure why you are asking me questions. Is it possible you're motives are to be deliberately facetious? Do tell why are you asking me off topic questions?-Kate xx

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. - Letter to philosopher Eric Gutkind, January 3, 1954

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it. - Albert Einstein, letter to an atheist (1954), quoted in Albert Einstein: The Human Side, edited by Helen Dukas & Banesh Hoffman

During the youthful period of mankind's spiritual evolution, human fantasy created gods in man's own image who, by the operations of their will were supposed to determine, or at any rate influence, the phenomenal world. - Albert Einstein, quoted in: 2000 Years of Disbelief, James Haught

I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal God is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being. - Albert Einstein to Guy H. Raner Jr., Sept. 28, 1949, quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic magazine, Vol. 5, No. 2

• KateWild
  • Viviane
    Viviane

Viv - I am not entirely sure why you are asking me questions. Is it possible you're motives are to be deliberately facetious? Do tell why are you asking me off topic questions?-Kate xx

You said this universe was mathematically perfect. I am just trying to understand what that means and what a mathematically imperfect universe would look like.

If it's off topic, then you shouldn't have mentioned it. If you're not sure why people ask questions, there are classes on basic conversation methods you can take. If you can't explain what it means, you clearly don't understand it and shouldn't have brought it up.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

Albert Einstein is sometimes claimed by religious theists seeking the sanction of a famous scientist for their theistic views, but Einstein denied the existence of the traditional concept of a god. From some perspectives his position would be seen as atheism or no different from atheism. He admitted to being a freethinker, which in a German setting is much the same as atheism, and as any good freethinker, his views changes with evidence.

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms. (Albert Einstein, Obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955)

• Viviane
    Viviane

It does amaze me sometimes how people misrepresent and cling to Einstein as somehow being proof of god. In any equation where god is real, god>Einstein. Why cling to the lesser to prove the greater?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Atheists do not believe God should do anything, because they don't believe in God. Do you believe the Easter bunny should stop all the pain and suffering in the world?

I have found that any sentence that begins with "Atheists believe...." is usually followed by a lot of assumptions about atheists that are patently untrue.

A) Atheists do not all think or believe the same thing

B) Lack of belief in something is not a belief system. If you don't believe in the Easter bunny, that does not constitute a belief system. If a person does not find any evidence of God,, that is not a belief system or a religion.

C) Atheists do not claim to believe in God because they wish to do evil, they just don't believe in him, I am just as moral as when I believed in God.

D) Atheists don't believe God should do anything, how could they, since they don't believe he exists.

I think what you mean is Atheists think that fact that there is so much evil in the world proves that God either doesn't exist or doesn't care about mankind. I do find that to be a compelling argument, but that is not the basis of not believing in God. I simply have not seen anything factual that indicates he does. Theists claim that you cannot prove God doesn't exist, and of course you cannot diprove a negative. I can't prove that Santa Claus doesn't exist either, so does that mean I must believe in him?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit