I'm sitting here listening to a JW try to recruit somebody

by Terry 127 Replies latest jw friends

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Terry says: ""Don't listen to anything I say, Jordan. Investigate on your own and make your own decisions."

This is completely contradictory to what the WTBTS tells it's followers over and over again, namely that they are too stupid to do their own research, are not to think for themselves, education is bad, and "listen, obey, and be blessed."

It's a point I would drive home with Jordan, that here Terry is asking him to research whatever he likes, don't believe what he says, etc.....to prove these things to himself.....and yet the WTBTS says the complete opposite. If they really had the "Truth", it would not be afraid of critical thinking and examination, and would stand up to any scrutinity and shine thru. It DOESN'T, because it's a farce and a CULT.

These glaring differances need to be driven home to this young man.

- Wing Commander

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks for sharing your story also, I have really enjoyed how you reason so well.

LITS

• Terry
    Terry

Mostly, I pick my battles carefully, carving out firm ground.

Jordan said something I wanted to argue--but, it would have been a real time-waster.

"I don't believe in Science! Scientists are liars . . . "

To say I was stunned by this is to not describe my feeling accurately at all!

I was horribly saddened at what damage had been done to his common sense.

I stifled a big SPEECH about all the advances the Scientific Method had given mankind . . . what good would it have done

to have to fight TWO MAJOR BATTLES (secular and religious) at the same time?

He said he'd be back Monday (today) but, my youngest daughter is celebrating her 19th birtday and I'm not going to miss that.

I'm torn--but, family comes first.

If he really needs to talk to an old reprobate Apostate badly enough, he'll be back.

• Terry
    Terry

Do you think he will compare notes about you with your friend Johnny?

I have 99% doubt on that score!

When Johnny got outed for talking to me--he told his son that "I lied" about his comments and views when I posted them

on "that 'Apostate Internet group.'

That HURT!

He not only denigrated me but himself as well just to save his bacon.

Far more noble would it be had he owned up and then cried like a girly-man confessing his horrible blasphemy.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done Terry ! I add my own experience to encourage you, and all on JWN, to take the opportunity to give JW's a chance by helping their thought processes.

I was the same as Jordan in many ways, I felt that Scientists had either got much wrong, or worse, lied. This false notion must come from WT propaganda.

Over the years I met a number of people who challenged my being a JW. I remembered their words, and they had a cumulative effect, so that one day I walked away from the WT, knowing they were false.

For some people the House of Cards that is the JW/WT religion will fall very quickly, for others, like me, the removal of a card at a time eventually caused the collapse.

Helping JW's to see that they are capable of thinking for themselves is far better than attacking doctrine etc

Well done again !

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Terry - "I told him the most incriminating thing the WTS does is to act like a guilty party who knows they might be found out.

1. They change evidence of their wrong teachings
    2. They make excuses
    3. They blame-shift
    4. They misquote sources
    5. They forbid the use of outside authority
    6. They threaten rather than engage contrary opinions"

There's a little motto that I use from time to time when I still occasionally (albeit rarely) catch myself worrying if they really have "The Truth"...

..."If you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended."

It always works (at least for me).

• Terry
    Terry

Yesterday I waited for Jordan to return to our discussion (because he strongly indicated he would) while feeling

like he would not.

And--he did not.

Why?

1. He is emotionally invested rather than intellectually invested. Rebuttal is not an emotional contest it is a rational one.

2. He has no skills in reaching out into the WORLDLY information sources. That means he'll only read Society writings. (Ask O.J. if he did it.)

3. Predictably, he'll talk to an Elder whom he trusts. The instant he raises any of the issues he and I spoke about, the red flags will fly! All the fury of inquiry

will focus on "Who have you been talking to? What information have you looked at. Why?"

So, I don't think at this point in his life he has the strength and resources to free himself from being bound by AUTHORITY without jeopardizing

seeing his Dad again in the New Order.

I hope I'm wrong.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm glad to hear that you might be reaching someone before they make the mistake of getting dragged back into the religion, but I feel obliged to say this, Terry -- is it wise to give even his first name, and in a non-Private forum thread, considering that you are known by area Witnesses to post on this forum? Not to mention that now there is a direct connection to the congregation of your friend who was outed over his conversations with you because of your posts here.

• Terry
    Terry

How do you punish a Disfellowshipped person?

There is only the standard shunning and you can't really shun More.

If he were in danger of being DF'd that would be a different circumstance.

I do appreciate the point you are making, however.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Terry,

You did what you had to do and could do, if he decides to go back, then it is his fault and not yours. But I know that conversations like these stay with us for a long time and it keeps building up. Unfortunately some people never get to see the rage that JW.org (formerly the WT) shows towards innocent people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit