I'm sitting here listening to a JW try to recruit somebody

by Terry 127 Replies latest jw friends

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

It may be important to for him to use the Society's own publications as witness against itself. Even the Bible.

For example, the Proclaimers book on page 133 has a footnote near a sentence that says that the bible students believed that Christ's presence began in 1874. The footnote says, in part, "A clearer understanding of Biblical chronology was published in 1943, in the book “The Truth Shall Make You Free,” and it was then refined the following year in the book “The Kingdom Is at Hand,” as well as in later publications." That makes one think that the understanding of 1914 as the beginning of Christ's presence didn't come out until 1943. Very contrary to popular thinking that they always understood 1914 this way.

This is backed up by the book "God's Kingdom Has Approached!". In chapter 11, pages 209-210, paragraph 55, it says this, very pointedly:

"In the year 1943 the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society published the book “The Truth Shall Make You Free.” In its chapter 11, entitled “The Count of Time,” it did away with the insertion of 100 years into the period of the Judges and went according to the oldest and most authentic reading of Acts 13:20, and accepted the spelled-out numbers of the Hebrew Scriptures. This moved forward the end of six thousand years of man’s existence into the decade of the 1970’s. Naturally this did away with the year 1874 C.E. as the date of return of the Lord Jesus Christ and the beginning of his invisible presence or parousia."

So, the understanding of 1914 did not come about until 1943.

The Bible, on the other hand, has a footnote on Hebrews 5:9 (using the old NWT Reference version) on the phrase "had been made perfect". The footnote reads: "Or, “after he had been inaugurated (installed; empowered; consecrated to office).” Gr., te·lei·o·theis′. See Le 21:10 ftn. Compare Le 8:33 ftn." The NWT, the JW Bible itself, admits Christ was inaugurated to office long, long before 1914.

These are the things that helped open my eyes a bit to the false teachings of JWs.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

What an interesting read, Terry! Thank you for an inspirational report, you're a wonderful guy to do what you did! I'm looking forward to the coming updates... So far, you've done more than great!

• Terry
  • objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

Beautiful statement Terry - " I told him how his life could take on real meaning by spending time visiting the terminally ill to find out what THEIR NEEDS were, rather than going to people with an AGENDA serving his OWN needs to earn a trip to paradise."

That is Powerful My Friend.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good work Terry , you've seemed to compose yourself much more in comparison to your first introductory discussion.

It might be advantageous to mention that the WTS. is a large publishing house and the executive leaders have known what it takes to keep the readership

of its literature fluent and expanding.

The WTS doctrines created and propagated upon where always doctrines which were established to attract attention from the publics eyes and imagination,

exploited no less from the already basic assuming belief in the bible the general public retains.

This organization had always the freedom to strategically market itself in any self supporting way toward proliferating its own created publications

and that is the real " Truth " behind its day to day operations.

• RichardHaley
    RichardHaley

Marked...

I would be interested in reading your books, Terry. Are they published?

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

Love this. Your gut told you, don't react. Your higher self took over. We don't know what we are capable of doing until we are forced to challange ourselves.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Hope you wake this guy Terry.

Do you think he will compare notes about you with your friend Johnny?

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I really enjoyed this story and my take is he is having doubts or else he wouldn't have questioned you and come back the second time. A JW who is firm in their beliefs would not even listen to you. I think if he is willing to come back he will start reading outside sources because he has to get over the initial fear of looking at anything but WTS materials. I really love what you said to him about really living...

Keep us up to date because this is an interesting one.

• Raton
    Raton

Thanks for sharing this story. Seeing your conversation played out may help me with talks with my wife. Things aren't really going that great with those talks. I just hope that she is just being stubborn like the guy was when you first approached him but in reality she is thinking......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit