I'm sitting here listening to a JW try to recruit somebody

by Terry 127 Replies latest jw friends

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I was impressed by your OP Terry; your integrity was rewarded,

• Terry
    Terry

Vanderhoven 7, well I appreciate your saying that--but . . .

the fact i struggled so hard to NOT say anything or DO anything says more about me.

I am so cowardly I just want to write books sitting off by myself in a coffe shop.

In my secret heart of hearts I imagine myself a Cyborg of Apostate Doom to the Organization--which is total bullshit!

I'm just a wimpy old man who can barely keep it together discussing matters which I should be able to rattle off

like the multiplication tables!

Now that I've beaten myself up a little . . . I feel better!

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

the fact i struggled so hard to NOT say anything or DO anything says more about me.

But you DID say something. That says more about you. That young man was 19 years old. Eventually, he will see TTATT and leave, thus opening up a whole new world and possibilities to him.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

You stepped up to the plate Terry and that is what is important... and what was needed.

• Terry
    Terry

I've been sitting here analyzing my reaction to the confrontation.

I think it is similar to a grown up who goes home to see their parents after many years of separation.

As soon as they find themselves back under their parent's roof--something is triggered and they feel like a child!

They become infantile and jittery.

I suspect it is something like that. The extreme authority of the Org is rather like the bully who beat you up on the playground.

You may outgrow the playground, but the little kid who was bullied lives on inside you--just a vulnerable as ever.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Terry,

That was awesome.

Whatever happens next is up to Jordan. But either way, he can't un-hear what you discussed. It clearly made a deep impression. Even if he doesn't act on it now, the things he heard from you can't be erased. You planted a seed...

GGG :)

• cult classic
    cult classic

A-W-E-S-O-M-E !!!

I hope this guy makes it out for good.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Great story. Keep us posted on what happens next. In my early days as a JW I would appoach people and confront them when I overheard them speaking bad about the Watchtower. One day a person at work offered me book to read. I think it was A Slave of the Watchtower for 20 (or 30) Years. For some reason I wasn't feeling quite as smug so I took it and read it. Nothing happened right away but it raised some doubts that continued to grow. You never really know what effect you are having on someone because it doesn't always show or it can take time for them to think things through.

Glad I continued to read this thread.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

What a great experience, thanks for sharing.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I really think this highlights the reason that people hang out on this site even though they've been out for years. You just never know when there's a little bit of dysfunction hiding in our being that gets pulled out of us in an unexpected situation like Terry's. We don't always know where we are not completely over it, mostly because I don't think you ever completely get over it.

BTW, I think you handled it great and I appreciate that, as a writer, you could share the experience with us so clearly and in nearly real time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit