I'm sitting here listening to a JW try to recruit somebody

by Terry 127 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Update from Monday. . .

At 3:36 in the afternoon yesterday, I received a text from Jordan asking me when I would be available.

I asked him how he was, and mentioned I'd be available whenever he needed to talk.

He said, "Honestly not so good; like I just need to open up. I guess I feel like I'm holding a lot in and it's stressing."

I recommended he set up a time and I'd listen to anything he needed to say.

He replied: "That sounds great! I work two jobs now so I'd have to figure out when I can see you, but it will

definitely be soon."

I told him I thought is wasn't at all unusual for a person who is "waking up" about the "truth" to experience extreme stress.

I joked that it was like suddenly finding out your Uncle Fred was a serial killer.

He texted, "Hahaha exactly and Uncle Fred keeps stabbing me in the back. I'm seriously glad you understand me like that.

It sucks to feel how I feel because sometimes I feel alone."

I offered that the pressure he was getting was because the use of FEAR is almost always involved.

He said, "Well, I definitely feel it. The fear."

I told him there were thousands--even millions of people just like him and he definitely was NOT alone.

He replied, "I know when I feel alone I read former JW life stories and it kinda calms me, but still makes me feel bad at

the same time. Lol."

That was an extraordinary response!

I offered a parting thought: "Take assurance that truth isn't afraid of questions, but false information tries to hid behind

the blame-game."

He responded: "I will remember that."

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Wow Terry, what a nice experience this must be for you. Helping this young lad finding the truth and hopefully gaining his freedom... You said he needed a mentor, but I think he's found himself the best mentor he could get!

• Brainfloss
    Brainfloss

THIS IS AWESOME..I think i will recommend your coffee shop to some of my family members.

brainfloss

• Terry
    Terry

I really want to be no part of any decision a 19-year-old young man makes which will affect the rest of his life.

That is--I don't want to tip the scale when he is in a vulnerable state. The worst decisions are made at times

where there is stress.

All I want to do and be is a sounding board for his consideration of alternate views.

I keep repeating to Jordan, "Don't believe anything I tell you on face value. Please, investigate and satisfy your own mind."

The ability to make decisions does not come naturally when you've been under Authority for most of your life!

I do know until now Jordan's idea of "research" has been exclusively Watchtower publications.

Learning how to go beyond that doesn't happen overnight.

I suppose what I am afraid of is crossing over from friendly sounding board to steering him.

Let's do some calculation here:

If he remains disfellowshipped he loses all the rest of his family. (Remember he's still reeling from the loss of his deceased Dad.)

He loses his "spiritual" anchor and probably his faith.

Suddenly he is raw meat. EXACTLY HOW does that "help" him?

To me, the wisest course of action is for him to take a kind of "Timeout" to collect himself. During this abeyance, he can learn to be on his

own to determine how possible/feasible such a life might well be.

Burning your bridges is almost always foolhardy.

Further, he will develop rebuttal skills and resilience as the JW buzzards begin to peck at him.

Secondarily, he might through his obstinant quest for really truthful answers, awaken in others the alarm bell that something doesn't smell right.

If I can walk the tightrope of responsible mentoring without undue influence (a fool's errand) I will have a clean conscience.

• laverite
    laverite

Terry, I don't chime in much. But I've been keeping up with this thread. What a powerful experience. I look forward to reading any updates about Jordan that you may have in the future. It sure sounds like you will continue to hear from him. I feel for him.

• laverite
    laverite

I really wish you had been around when I was 18. Seriously.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I think you're doing a great job giving him information but not too much guidance, Terry. It's true that at 19 he probably still has to develop more independent-mindedness. But think of your own guidance as merely offsetting all the undue influence that the other adults in his life are having -- in his family, at the Hall, etc. Balancing that out a bit is totally warranted. Most of us born-ins never had an opportunity like that, to hear a dissenting, informed viewpoint, while growing up, so we bought into what all the adults in our life were telling us.

• Terry
    Terry

I hear what you are saying, believe me!

I just don't want to accidentally fill in as the __father figure___by default. That would be taking advantage of an emotional vulnerability.

It is exactly what you'd expect an "Apostate" to jump on and exploit.

I don't want to be THAT guy, if you know what I mean.

I'll walk the tightrope of neutrality knowing full well I'm not objective. But, as long as I remain transparent I can be conscientious.

• suavojr
    suavojr

Terry said: That would be taking advantage of an emotional vulnerability.

It is exactly what you'd expect an "Apostate" to jump on and exploit.

Funny how JW's do the same thing when they find people at there most vulnerable state. Good job Terry! you are also helping others with this tread :)

• Terry
    Terry

It has been about 3 weeks since my last update.

Much has transpired in the interim.

Jordan and I have kept in touch.

He texts me telling me how he's feeling and what is going through his mind.

I listen. I suggest links to this and that.

We share a strong bond. He trusts me and I'm doubly conscientious in not trying to sway him.

He must do the work and follow his conscience where it will lead.

Not long ago he said something which floored me. He's been reading things online. His appetite for information

grew ravenous apparently. He said to me I was some kind of 'celebrity' to him!

What?

He told me he looks at the life I had as a JW and the things I went through trying to 'please Jehovah' and follow the Organization even

when it made little sense (out of blind loyalty) and the resulting damage to my life--and my struggle has an authenticity to it which

has struck a chord in him.

I had to squirm at that. I'm not comfortable being anybody's cardboard hero.

Now my sense of personal responsibility was doubled and heightened for certain!

Suddenly, a fire ignited inside him and his curiosity soared!

I'd compare it to daylight breaking through a long, dark storm.

He was researching on his own all over the internet!

His strong intellectual nature pounced and he became alive to the BIG PICTURE.

One day, we spoke for the better part of three hours on the phone.

He's been cautiously asking JW's whom he trusts penetrating questions.

He's able to do this because of the precarious position he's in. He's DF'd trying to get REINSTATED, therefore,

JW's expect a certain amount of grappling with ideas to go on! It is normal to question things at that juncture.

As we all know, once you 'wake up,' your mind is on fire.

Jordan's sure is!

He has been listening to the link I sent to CRISIS OF CONSCIENCE while he is at work every day!

He quickly figured out Ray Franz was a real person and not a boogeyman. He listened and became enlightened.

Finally, the Elders--after putting him off while they went about their day to day personal business--finally told him he was

scheduled for reinstatement. What rankled him was--if his eternal life was "on the line" while in a DF'd state--why had the Elders

been so foot-dragging about it?

Secondly, even though they had reinstated him--he was forbidden from commenting at meetings UNTIL it was announced.

This young man is an entirely different person from the one who sat at that table in Starbucks debating with a co-worker about

the Trinity, the 'torture stake, and Apostates!

He finally told me, now he KNOWS how it goes.

He will slowly fade from the moment of reinstatement.

I did an intervention at one point--not knowing if I should.

He immediately wanted to begin working on his Mom and his girlfriend trying to pry loose their minds from the clutches of delusion.
    I tried to slow him down by telling him--

"Jordan, when does an Alcoholic stop drinking? It isn't when loved ones TELL them to do so. It is when there is NO OTHER way to continue in life excdept to do so. You have to be READY to change--on your own--by your own decision!"

He stopped, considered and understood immediately.

I also explained, "When you open people's eyes up to the betrayal of trust you HARM THEM by taking away their safety net and destroy

their WORLD! You inflict a wound! What are you prepared to REPLACE that with? Are you going to tell them to go to a Baptist Church, or become an atheist? You see, they have to SEE THE NEED TO GET OUT as survival of sanity. That's the only way which works."

I dunno. I overstepped my boundary inside my own head, but I really felt I was giving good advice.

Jordan and I remain bonded in an extraordinary closeness of affection.

I may have rescued myself by simply saying the right thing at the right moment.

It was an extraordinary struggle inside when I suddenly stood up and walked over and butted in--but, all in all,

I couldn't help myself and hold back. I just couldn't.

Let me say to any of you who face a similar moment of decision: GO WITH HOW YOU FEEL and speak the truth about the 'truth'

when the opportunity presents itself. You'll feel awkward, emotional, stressed and unprepared.

But SINCERITY communicates more than you know.

I think most people can tell the difference between sabotage and intervention!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit