Accusing Ex-JWs of Behaving Like JWs Should be Taboo

by cofty 447 Replies latest members private

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

There are certain personality types that fit well into Wally World, power hungry, dogmatic, judgemental, condescending etc. These types do well and go farther up the WW chain than a sincere person thinking they can help. At least that seems to be the case in my observation. When someone with that personality leaves that world, for whatever reason, they arrive here or elsewere with those same traits. If they come accross as being power hungry, dogmatic, judgemental, etc. it is easy to come to the conclusion that they are/were good JWs. That is why some posters might say ex-JWs on this site are behaving like JWs. I just want to ask the ones that are acting like JWs, "Didn't you learn anything?"

• cofty
    cofty

Disarmed - there are "power hungry, dogmatic, judgemental, condescending" people everywhere. Like most people I can't stand them and don't allow them in my life.

It has no connection at all with having been a JW or not.

You are just adding to the very long list of personality traits that some want to call the "JW mindset" as a response to their pet peeves.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DA: I just want to ask the ones that are acting like JWs ...

OK, this, and similar, phrases just keep coming up. But we have not defined what it means "to act like a JW."

Nearly every trait some has listed that supposedly identifies "JW-like behavior" is a common trait among unpleasant people everywhere.

To my mind, one important trait of JWs is that they accept without question or debate anything the WTBTS tells them. (I realize that members of any and all high-control, authoritarian groups will behave the same way.)

That being said, this means that when we argue and disagree with each other, even to the point of being a dick about it, we are most certainly NOT behaving like good little dubbies.

So when someone says something you don't like and you are tempted to disagree with them, maybe even insult them, do this first: STOP, THINK AND DO NOT SAY, "You're acting just like a JW!" because the fact is they are not.

They might be pathologically brutal in their intellectual destruction of your measly attempt at formulating an argument; they might even be a first-, second- or even a third-rate asshole with all the empathy of a barracuda; but they are NOT acting like a JW if they argue and disagree and (attempt to) think for themselves.

All that being said, I would like to remind everyone that if we focus on THE CONTENT of what other posters say rather than THE PERSON, we will all get along much better.

That and don't post when you're intoxicated. Only you think you're pretty, witty and gay!

(With apologies to Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim).

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

Not saying that that personality type = JW, not trying to make that sort of connection. I'm just saying they seem to do well in that world. Call it "JW mindset" or what you will.

• cofty
    cofty

So some JWs are "power hungry, dogmatic, judgemental, condescending " people and many are not.

Agreed.

when we argue and disagree with each other, even to the point of being a dick about it, we are most certainly NOT behaving like good little dubbies. - Oubliette

Sounds like a bomb-proof argument to me. Why did I not think of it 17 pages ago?

Thanks

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

Agreed. 100%. Maybe a better way to express it is some Ex-Jws on this site act like the JWs that are trying to move up in the JW hierarchy.

• cofty
    cofty

some Ex-Jws on this site act like the JWs that are trying to move up in the JW hierarchy

What is unique about "JWs that are trying to move up in the JW hierarchy" that isn't equally true about a signifcant percentage of the general population?

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

Oubliette,

I'm sure when someone states that another is behaving just like a JW each individual has something specific in mind. Either case could be true. If someone is accepting "without question or debate anything the WTBTS [or anyone else] tells them," that is behaving like a JW. If someone is being judgemental, condescending, harsh or dogmatic, that too is acting like a JW.

PS Oubliette, you are one of the more eloquent members on this site. I enjoy reading your posts.

• cantleave
    cantleave

some Ex-Jws on this site act like the JWs that are trying to move up in the JW hierarchy.

I am quite happy being a rank and file member

• cofty
    cofty

when someone states that another is behaving just like a JW each individual has something specific in mind - Disarmed

That has been my point since the OP.

"Behaving like a JW" is a vacuous accusation that can be used against anybody to label absolutely any sort of behaviour you personally object to.

In my opinion it should be "taboo" - by which I mean socially unacceptable - among ex-JWs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit