Accusing Ex-JWs of Behaving Like JWs Should be Taboo

by cofty 447 Replies latest members private

• cofty
    cofty

Your contributions to this thread suggest otherwise.

I have only seen you use it as a convenient insult but I haven't read all 36 000 of your posts.

• minimus
    minimus

Talk about being melodramatic

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

cofty,

You have an incredible vocabulary, I always have my dictionary app close by when I read your posts.

"I think there is a way of seeing the world that is ubiquitous among JWs but also among most cults and many evangelicals." - cofty

Maybe it would be better to say certain Ex-JWs are behaving like cult members or evangelicals...oh wait...

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

There's a difference between having an academic discussion about the nature of the JW mindset and accusing others of displaying said mindset, the former being acceptable and the latter being unacceptable.

I believe that this is the problem that some here are having trouble understanding.

Sure, let's debate the nature of the JW mindset, but let's not accuse someone of possessing it. We left the hateful cult. To accuse someone of being cultlike is cruel.

Is this my correct understanding of your original post, Cofty?

• cofty
    cofty

Spot on GT. Thank you and goodnight

• DisArmed
    DisArmed

I understand the OP, but I also understand why some on the site might feel they are being lectured to or told what they can and cannot say. They may not think there is a place here for those claiming special knowledge. Some are more sensitive to that than others. I'm not one to resort to name calling but I can see why some might feel they've had enough control and no longer need GB, elders, MS, elderettes and others with that "mindset."

• minimus
    minimus

Dis, u got it.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I understand the OP, but I also understand why some on the site might feel they are being lectured to or told what they can and cannot say.

No one is being told what they can or cannot say. They just don't like being called out on it when they say riducluous things.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Are any of us afraid that on some level, parts of our personalities are still affected by our years as a JW?

So what if it's true? It isn't the end of the world.

People who are POWs or even innocent citizens who have been held captive in concentration camps, they will always, on some level be affected by their experiences. We are the sum of our experiences.

If past traumas and indoctrinations still affect us, it isn't a condemnation. We were held captive by a mind control cult for years or even decades. We can get therapy, join support groups, come to forums like JWN and do a great deal of healing. Hopefully we will find encouragement and fellow feeling and help to process & deal with what we've been through. If at times our past experiences still affect us, it's not a bad thing. Hopefully, we aren't going to hurt other people with it, right? If we are hurting people, then if that is pointed out, we can listen and make some adjustments.

There have been times people have said it to me over a generalized thing that could come from anywhere. I just said, "Yeah, well my ******** friends feel the same way, so I don't think we can blame the JWs for this one. " I had it happen recently in a discussion about the realities of casual sex. I was talking about the consequences that can result if people go at it with reckless abandon. You don't have to be a former JW to know that if you're reckless, you could get some results you didn't bargain for. I am not offended that my friend attributed my views to the JWs. I understood why he said what he did. I just explained to him that my views about the consequences of reckless, casual sex were shaped before I ever heard of the JWs.

• Viviane
    Viviane

FHN, that is a great point. Shockingly, though, some who post here will attempt to judge and condemn others, often and usually ignorantly, with extreme, wrong and foolish judgement while completely missing or ignoring the point of the posts.

I hope never ever to see anyone act in the exact manner you described. If they do, I will quote your exact words back to that person and explain exactly why you think they are being horrible. I count on your support in stopping these ignorant, emotional, empty and substanceless attacks on other posters. I truly look forward to seeing you lead the way by only addressing the substance of posts and beingthe first to refrain from personal comments.

Bravo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit