Atheism is a Belief System

by seekchristonly 194 Replies latest watchtower bible

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

Religion especially. It breeds on peoples emotions. Thts why Messiah put and end to religion in the 1st century with the destruction of jerusalem, the temple and the end of the jewish age

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I guess you forgot to read page 58 of the book cofty?

"By nothing, I do not mean nothing, but rather nothing -- in this case, the nothingness we normally call empty space. That is to say, if I take a region of space and get rid of everything within it -- dust, gas, people, and even the radiation passing through, namely absolutely everything within that region -- if the remaining empty space weighs something, then that would correspond to the existence of a cosmological term such as Einstein invented." [page 58]

• cofty
    cofty

EOM - You are behaving like the WT writing department and quote-mining out of context.

He builds the case step by step and describes "NOTHING" in the final chapter.

I read it from cover to cover and understood it. It is awesome.

Read it - don't read it. I could not care less.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Empty space is NOT nothing. There are properties of empty space and he says he is calling empty space nothing. So you either lied, or don't understand what he is teaching yourself.

• Giordano
    Giordano

We used to reference space as empty space. All that blackness between the stars we see at night.

15 years ago we discovered that blackness wasn't empty but filled with dark energy and dark matter.

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy/

My guess, at this point, is that is where the answers will be found.

"The Universe is full of matter and the attractive force of gravity pulls all
    matter together. Then came 1998 and the Hubble Space Telescope (HST)
    observations of very distant supernovae that showed that, a long time ago, the
    Universe was actually expanding more slowly than it is today. So the expansion
    of the Universe has not been slowing due to gravity, as everyone thought, it has
    been accelerating. No one expected this, no one knew how to explain it. But
    something was causing it...............

What Is Dark Energy?

Universe Dark Energy-1 Expanding Universe This diagram reveals changes in the rate of expansion since the universe's birth 15 billion years ago. The more shallow the curve, the faster the rate of expansion. The curve changes noticeably about 7.5 billion years ago, when objects in the universe began flying apart as a faster rate. Astronomers theorize that the faster expansion rate is due to a mysterious, dark force that is pulling galaxies apart. NASA/STSci/Ann Feild

More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the Universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 68% of the Universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the Universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the Universe.

One explanation for dark energy is that it is a property of space. Albert Einstein was the first person to realize that empty space is not nothing. Space has amazing properties, many of which are just beginning to be understood. The first property that Einstein discovered is that it is possible for more space to come into existence. Then one version of Einstein's gravity theory, the version that contains a cosmological constant, makes a second prediction: "empty space" can possess its own energy. Because this energy is a property of space itself, it would not be diluted as space expands. As more space comes into existence, more of this energy-of-space would appear. As a result, this form of energy would cause the Universe to expand faster and faster. Unfortunately, no one understands why the cosmological constant should even be there, much less why it would have exactly the right value to cause the observed acceleration of the Universe. ................"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

EOM and Cofty, I can't believe you two are really arguing about nothing!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist!)

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Unless science is now teaching that the big bang happened within a huge realm of open space vs the expansion itself making that open space, then the reviews are all correct on him not answering the question. I even read some reviews where the athiests were frustrated on how much about religion was spoken of in the book. They wanted a purely scientific book and were upset it wasted time debating religion and thought the book more a bait and switch for religious people.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

oubliette - LOL

• cofty
    cofty

Empty space is NOT nothing. There are properties of empty space and he says he is calling empty space nothing. So you either lied, or don't understand what he is teaching yourself.

I am not talking about empty space and neither is Krauss. Did you not bother to read my last post?

You obviously are trying to find a reason to dismiss the book without reading it. Your loss.

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

SO does that mean matter and gravity have always existed before the universe came into existence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit