Atheism is a Belief System

by seekchristonly 194 Replies latest watchtower bible

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

Is Atheism a belief system. After all the atheist believes there is no God .So if that's the case then an Atheist if a person of Faith. They have faith in the fact there is no God

• snowbird
  • cofty
    cofty

Thanks for raising this old canard, it provides an opportunity to clear it up for newbies.

An atheist is somebody who is not convinced by the grandiose claims of theism.

If new evidence ever becomes available an open-minded atheist will investigate it critically.

Therefore atheism is no more a belief system than non-stamp collecting is a hobby.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

At the core they end up being the same.

Big bang cause by nothing or God said, 'let it be' and big bang happened.

Impossible for them to believe that God is eternal and always has been yet they believe that energy is eternal, can be neither created nor destroyed. Everything is energy, God is energy, so believe in energy being eternal is the same as believing God is eternal.

Everything came from nothing or everything came from God.

Order spontaneously appeared out of chaos to result in life as we know it or God created order out of chaos.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Cofty's definition is more agnostic

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

So you will only believe it if you see it. Thats like betting on two teams in the same game you cant loose. Good move

• cofty
    cofty

Cofty's definition is more agnostic

No it isn't.

The term agnostic is pointless. We don't need a word for "I don't know".

Having researched all the evidence thoroughly I am certain there is no god. I am open to the vanishingly small possibility that some new evidence may be available just as I am open to the possibility that the moon is made of cheese.

I am not agnostic.

• Randomthoughts
    Randomthoughts

Do I have to have faith in the fact there is no Santa Claus or Spaghetti Monster?

• cofty
    cofty

So you will only believe it if you see it

I didn't say that.

Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence.

Theism is an extraordinary claim supported by no evidence and contradicted by a huge body of evidence.

That doesn't mean I'm not open to further information.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"Atheism is a religion like abstinence is a sex position." -Bill Maher

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit