Atheism is a Belief System

by seekchristonly 194 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Well it depends who is teaching what because just like most subjects there are claims and counter claims

Sounds just like Christianity or any other religion.

What's your point?

If you criticize it in science are you willing to honestly admit the same about your religion?

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

Good point cofty.They have made amazing strides on many things. Knowledge abounds.

• jgnat
    jgnat

What does WHO have to do with it? Was Pasteur right or not? Those who CHOOSE not to believe his discovery may die from a simple bacterial infection.

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

I dont follow a religion

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I looked up your book Cofty, tons of reviews claim the author doesn't stick to 'nothing' but tried to redefine 'nothing' into 'something'. I'll quote one of the reviews, " This book is a complete non-starter on the question implied in it's title "Why there is something rather than nothing". However the author doesn't let that deter him from redefining the word "nothing" to mean actually "something" and that "something" actually has properties such as "unstable", "energy", "dense", and "hot" i.e., by definition NOT "nothing"."

So since many reviews had the same claim, all I can say is, "Nothing to see here, move along!".

• cofty
    cofty

I find anti-science attitudes to be deeply hypocritical.

You are taking refuge in ignorance because you fear reality.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Is Atheism a belief system. After all the atheist believes there is no God .So if that's the case then an Atheist if a person of Faith. They have faith in the fact there is no God

Atheism is not "a belief" that there is no God. Atheism is knowing that there is no real proof that there is a god. If we apply your way of thinking, then you are a man of faith in the belief that Vishnu or Odin is not real or that Santa Claus is not real. It imay very well be a belief that Santa Claus is fictional to a child coming of age. But it becomes an understanding that the whole thing was made up to an adult who seeks better understanding. If I sought better understanding of the Bible and understand how it was all made up, that allows me to understand that the God of the Bible was also made up, but that doesn't make it a "belief" that can be denied by some and accepted by others as if that changes the truth of the matter.

Science allows for wrong understandings. Just produce some actual proof and the atheist will look at it. If your God exists and you can prove it, then things will have to be reevaluated. Until then, there is no proof of your god.

As far as faith goes, faith in someone or something is trust in it or a belief in someone's trustworthiness. But people of belief in God take that meaning and expand it way too much to include all positivity in believing in God. "Faith" makes absolute refusal to look at the lack of evidence a virtue. It is not a virtue. Faith is pretending to know what you cannot know.

• cofty
    cofty

EOM - If you think you can dismiss a book by reading Amazon reviews by people who never understood it you are an idiot.

Krauss thoroughly addresses your so-called objection at length in his book.

Go ahead and wallow in ignorance.

However the author doesn't let that deter him from redefining the word "nothing" to mean actually "something" and that "something" actually has properties such as "unstable", "energy", "dense", and "hot" i.e., by definition NOT "nothing"."

I just finished the book and this could not be more wrong.

• jgnat
    jgnat

This image, too:

Higgs Boson

• seekchristonly
    seekchristonly

But it's wel known many scientists are deceptive and perpetuate a claims .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit