What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

serious researchers think that ...

Bullshit alert!

• never a jw
    never a jw

Tough, tough. Hell I am not risking making a fool of myself. I have done it enough. You speculate away.

• prologos
    prologos

read about BOLZMAN BRAINS in NEW SCIENTIST.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

prologos,

very interesting. what evidence do you base your speculations in post 3250 on? I genuinely would like to know? edit: oops posted at the same time as you but would still like to think about your evidence. are you saying we can find a discussion in new scientist?

• KateWild
    KateWild

So, what is it? What is it made of? How does it work? Where does it come from? I am genuinely curious.-Viv

Oh really is that so? I have been following this thread and your comments for four days and eight pages. Is your genuine curiosity reflectected in your comments? Here is an example of a few.

Great question! It's been quite an interesting topic of discussion for years. If you care to start a thread, that would be neat!

Outstanding example of physics! Start a thread if you are interested. It's not in any way related to my topic.

People are asserting something exists and haven't the faintest clue what it is.

Once I really understand what you mean by that, we can move the discussion forward.

Great question! Is that related to my question?

Those are great questions that we can discuss. If you are interested, start a thread and I will join in. Not related to this thread, though.

Sorry, you don't get to tell me what I do and don't care about. You are speaking from ignorance.

it ignorantly asserts things about me that aren't true and that you couldn't possibly know, namely, what you imagine I don't want

Other than your ill-informed and incorrect rant of childish name-calling, no has mocked anyone. You are the only offender of the thing you are whining about.

Unless you are saying that's what spirit is made of, it's not related. Feel free to start your own thread.

Well, yes, if that had anything to do with the queston. It doesn't. So far we're no closer to an answer than when we started...

Interestingly, I have notice a rather strong correlation between that attitude and the people that keep wanting to pretend the question has been answered.

And again, you have no idea what I have or don't. Please stop making claims out of ignorance.

It's utterly irrelevant. It was an illustration showing that you made an ignorant claim regarding me. I do appreciate your attempt to make this about me, but let's get back on topic.

So is it future existence or word? One makes no sense and the other is a metaphor.

There no logic to explain, that. That explains nothing, it's just words strung together.

So far we are no closer to an answer.

Great question, Satanus! Not relevant to this topic, however. Start a thread and I'll be happy to join! - Viv

In my opinion, and it's just an opinion..................your comments reflect you already had your answer to your question before you started the thread. I am not the only one who has seen this on your thread either. We are all entitled to our opinions and that's mine. I do have a view of what spirit is and I will post it on another post later.

Kate xx

• prologos
    prologos

Ruby 456 : because of our movement through time, all messages from us are sent into the future, but are received from the past.

take the mirror question of satanus: His picture, if intercepted by a mirror is in the past, and then reflected and received back by him even later, he might think it is a SPIRIT, it is just information, and satanus comparing his current looks, realizes that he looks TWICE as old as the apparition.

reflected Light is a fossil that holds all kinds of information, and with the right technology, should turn out to be READABLE.

Of course deists believe that there is yet unexplained SPIRIT/information at work in the universe, and people like Penrose have puiblished works on how Information predates our present universal circumstances and is transmitted through the 'creation/beginning events.

perhaps spirit IS information both in the past and also waiting for us in the future.

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

thanks prologos - very interesting and worth researching. What I like about your outline is that on this understanding spirit in the form of info is impersonal. Although at a local level an individual may notice an uncanny resemblance and may be startled by it but may feel a sense of impetus and inspiration.

edit: goodbye all. i have decided to leave this board as I no longer want to read what the thought police (viv et al) have to say. I'd rather be amongst Jehovahs witnesses and intend to apologise to the congregation and to Jehovah (in the spirit and memory of slimboyfat).

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Hi, sorry cant find time to write my entry. Made already about 30 notes, they are laying around in my loft everywhere between pages of encyclopedias,
    bibles, books.

Joke: Anyway whe should be aware of the bad spirit that survive in magical toys like the warrior wizard and we should findn out if a bad spirit exits and how to identify it.

• KateWild
    KateWild

What is spirit?

The dictionary has many definitions to satisfy most normal people, and many choose not to believe many of the definitions. I do not hope to satisfy Viv's curiosity, but I do hope to help any confused xJWs or JWs lurking on this site. This is a public forum and fully expect to be challanged by Viv for my post. That's life!

First of I don't believe that holy spirit guided my JC, and I don't believe it has anything to do with appointing elders in WT.

The dictionary definition I like best is the following..............

The vital principle or animating force within living things

Abiogenisis explains that life came from non-living matter beneath rock beds in the sea. The actual chemical formula to explain this is not pubilically available, I am not even sure if it exists. But my understanding of chemistry leads me to conclude that the catalyst involved in this process is the animating force, that is the spirit of life. This spirit is non-existant when a living thing dies. If we cut a rose from the rose bush we cut off it's source of life. The spirit of life has left the rose, it still has some nutrients to sustain a little life and we can place it in water to extend it's life and keep feeding it. But essentially the spirit of life has gone from the rose and it cannot keep living.

If we look at an example of a defibrillator and how that works, when a patients heart has stopped, the patients life force, spirit, has left. The defibrillator can, if the brain has not died, bring the patient back to life, with a spark. The spark of life. The spirit is the spark of life. If the patients brain has died, machines can keep the patient breathing, but essentially the spirit of life has left. The patient is essentially dead.

I believe that God is the creator, and the spark of life, spirit, is in all living things and causes them to grow and age.

This is not a concrete answer to the question and is not proveable. I am thinking in an abstract way. Many people cannot make higher order abstractions and think in only concrete terms, so they cannot fully understand higher order abstractions. This satisfies my curiosity of what spirit is.

Kate xx

• galaxie
    galaxie

Hi kate;...Higher order abstractions Mmmmmm ? Idealogical guesswork, wishful thinking in a higher order way? Or...

Concrete, evidence facts positive explanations, feasable conclusion .

In which way would most people prefer things to be explained?

Spirit is oxygen keeps the rose and us alive. When it's gone we're all gone ....end of spirit!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit