What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• KateWild
    KateWild

Hi kate;...Higher order abstractions Mmmmmm ? Idealogical guesswork, wishful thinking in a higher order way?-galaxie

There is more to abstract thinking than just in the religious sense. It's more about dicernment and reading between the lines to come to conclusions, people who are good at making higher order abstractions in social situations can dicern a lot about people they meet without them being told everything in terms of black and white.

If I ask my friend to go out on Friday night and she says she's busy, I will say how about the following Friday and she says she's not sure what she's doing, I then dicern my friend really doesn't want to make firm plans with so I don't ask again. The next time I call her and ask if she wants to go out Friday and she says she's busy again.

What would a dicerning person do next?

I would dicern if I asked her if she wanted to go out the following Friday, she would not make firm plans. I would then say to her, okay contact me when you're free. I would leave the ball in her court.

Making higher order abstractions is about seeing situations before the concrete evidence gives you proof and being right. This was just a simple example in a social situation. Most people can tell if others don't want to engage with them, we learn this as we grow up and interact socially.

Abstract thinking is an important part of life and everyone should know that the world is not black and white. Abstract thinking is more than guess work, it's taking information and predicting a conclusion or outcome.

If one wishes to become an actuary, you need to be excellent at maths but you need to also be able to make higher order abstractions to get good results. They base probabilities on the figures and make predictions.

Kate xx

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

i don't think the angels are made of the same stuff as God otherwise he would be created and he isn't and angels felt they wanted to have sex with women and passed on genetic material. plus ive had a few martinis

• KateWild
    KateWild

If I get defib'd and restarted that isn't a spark of life returning to me, it's electricity from the wall plug.-coma

Hey coma, how you doing? You make a good point. It is electricity but many who come back to life don't need to stay plugged into the wall. Sadly some need to be kept alive by machines. It is this difference that gives me my opinion of the spark of life. So I agree with the definition, The vital principle or animating force within living things, but I do see your point and I understand why you believe what you believe.

Many plants can be cut from their source and put in water to grow new roots. There was no spark of life needed... I am surprised you believe all that if you are a chemist.-coma

Roses don't grow roots in water, plants that do have the spark of life to continue growing. It should not be surprising that a chemical analyst believes in a creator, many scientists and doctors still have a belief in God. But there are many things about God that I don't believe that I have expressed, especially his Holy spirit working to guide humans in their choices. that's is IMO total nosense.

Kate xx

• Viviane
    Viviane

So I agree with the definition, The vital principle or animating force within living things

Even if there were any proof of such a think, that's still no closer to telling us what it's comprised of.

Roses don't grow roots in water

Hydroponic roses do.

plants that do have the spark of life to continue growing

Nutrients water andsunlight are what keep a plant growing, in the absence of disease. So far, "spark of life" is a metaphor for "I don't know".

• KateWild
    KateWild

Kate, that is really so. Next time you want try to make what I say seem false, don't quote mine me to create a false perception like you did in your post. It's a dishonest practice that's easily caught and refuted.- Viv

Nonsense, IMO I can't see how you are being genuinely crurious, I dicerned this from the excerpts I picked out. You quote mined me too, whats the big deal everyone can see what we both wrote in full anyway. But that is just my opinion, others may see you as being genuinely crurious.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I look forward to your answer on what spirit it.-Viv

IMO, not because your are genuinely crurious though, I think you just enjoy refuting other peoples views and twisting their words like saying................."It's just a metaphor for "I don't know""

• Viviane
    Viviane

Nonsense

Sigh.... whatever. A perfect example of the dishonest quote mining is taking a single line of the conversation with village girl completely out of context to build the specific narrative that I was was the agressor. It'sa dishonest, deceptive practice and you got caught. In fact, EVERY single quote you cherry picked was to make me look bad, without the context of people making untrue claims about me.

You got caught trying to beuild a dishonest narrative.

You quote mined me too, whats the big deal everyone can see what we both wrote in full anyway.

I challenge you to show one example where I deliberately chose to quote your out of context to change meaning. Again, you are being dishonest. You are following the tried and true script of attacking the person asking the question when you don't like or can't answer the question honestly.

I think you just enjoy refuting other peoples views and twisting their words like saying................."It's just a metaphor for "I don't know""

I didn't twist your words in any way. Your definition of spirit has already been covered. You don't know what it is. If you want to refute that, simply explain what the spark of life is comprised of. If you can't, then you don't know. It's very simple.

• KateWild
    KateWild

How sad. Another example of relgious thinking being a though stopping process. I full realize that this was an attempt at a clever insult, but instead it showed that, yet again, when God and religion get involved, people turn their brain off. It had the opposite of the intended effect.-Viv

As I predicted, because I am able to make higher order abstractions, I could not satisfy your curiosity. You simply don't understand why people believe what they do because you are being willfully ignorant and you use intellectual intimidation when you say things like "people turn their brain off"

I understand they way you think. You need concrete answers for everything, when you mature and stop being willfully ignorant about peoples opinions you will be be able to make higher order abstractions at the moment you are still a black and white thinker. Everything will be okay though Viv, we are here to help you through your process. Please tell us your story in a new thread, we are genuinely here to help you through this difficult time and we understand what you're going through.

I look forward to reading your story.

Take care Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I challenge you to show one example where I deliberately chose to quote your out of context to change meaning. Again, you are being dishonest. You are following the tried and true script of attacking the person asking the question when you don't like or can't answer the question honestly.-Viv

I am not attacking you I am attacking your idea's. I think you need to accept that before you started the thread there was no answer to your question that satisfied you and that you weren't really genuinely curious to find an answer, or to even understand why posters believe as they do. Why are you trying to challenge me, find the quote yourself, think about it and then get back to me about why I would feel your quote was out of context. To be able to do this you need empathy. Do you have empathy?

I am not dishonest, many posters have questioned your motives for starting this thread, it's you who is the dishonest one IMO, but that's just my opinion. It's subjective as is yours.

I have answered you question in the OP. You are clearly not satisfied with it. Accept this is the staus quo.

Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

I didn't twist your words in any way-Viv

Rubbish, that's your posts full stop I gave you an example in a previous post. Twisting what posters say, you relish in it my dear. But I totally understand why, I know exactly where your coming from. We are here for you and we can help you through your difficult time. I look forward to reading your story Viv.

Take care Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit