What is spirit, exactly?

by Viviane 609 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jgnat
    jgnat

So esoteric is diametrically opposed to verifiable.

Viviane, you come from a completely different view of the world. For a believer, quoting their sacred texts is enough. Your observational universe comes with a few more conditions. It is a little unfair for believers to throw you a bunch of definitions just to have them tossed for some obtuse reason. Spell it out.

• Viviane
    Viviane

It's unfair? In what sense? No one is forcing anything to do anything or to comment on the thread. It's a very simple question. I can't spell it out because I don't know what they mean when they say things like "angels are spirits". What is this spirit stuff?

Oh, and esoteric is not diametrically opposed to verifiable ;)

• cofty
    cofty

Look back over the thread and observe that no believers can agree what they even mean when they say "spirit".

Only negative things can be said about it - it isn't visible etc.

The only thing believers seem to agree on is that it just isn't fair of rational people to ask them what it IS.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Your "IS" is different than theirs. Their explanations satisfy them; they do not satisfy you. WHY it does not satisfy is a mystery.

• jgnat
    jgnat

For example, why is it critical to have one definition?

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

jgnat I'm with you you on this, the way this thread is going, instead of asking what is spirit exactly? we could ask what is language exactly? after that we could establish what spirit is in the different languages. I think even scientific language could then have something to say.

It would be even more interesting to ask about what vitalises language, what gives language its spirit.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Language is also a stand-in for reality. We need it to understand each other, though. As long as we are reading from the same rule-book.

The Tower of Babel aside, it is theorized that languages split up so that neighbouring tribes could communicate privately in "code", thereby not giving away the best fishing sites, or the night they intend to raid their neighbours.

• Viviane
    Viviane

It's not that their explanation of what spirit is doesn't satisfy me, it's that one hasn't been provided. no one said anything about only one definition, the question was narrowly constructed to keep the thread on track

Ruby, we could ask that, it's a great question. Start a thread and I will join in.

What is spirit, the stuff angels and demons are made of? So far we are no closer to an answer.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Spirit, wind, breeze = forms of energy: 1) spirit, the energy involved, keeping the organism alive (where breathing plays an important part). The Bible refers to a living soul and a dead soul, the latter lacking “spirit.” 2) It can also refer to motivational energy of a person, whether internal or external, whether good or bad. 3) It can refer to an inanimate force, e.g., breeze, wind. 3) It can also refer to independent creatures, e.g., angels and demons, whether you believe in them or not. 4) It can refer to the substance of God and that which he uses to accomplish his will, whether you believe in him or not.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Can the eye see itself?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit