When we die...

by Finallyfree12 156 Replies latest jw friends

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

It’s obviously not rational to think that particles can be in two places at once. Interesting!

• Viviane
    Viviane

It does defy what our senses tell us, but experiment proves it true!

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

If experiments prove this true, it really means there are two classes of science. One class that can be comprehended and one which cannot be! The issue with this is that comprehension relies on logic and reason, and logic and reason are the premise for the meaning of the word rational. The idea that one thing can be two obviously goes against reason and also logic and therefore is not rational. Does this mean that one class of science is not rational yet works anyway, due to experiments proving the reality of the existence of irrationality in this way?

• Viviane
    Viviane

Does this mean that one class of science is not rational yet works anyway, due to experiments proving the reality of the existence of irrationality in this way?

It just means you don't understand it. Lots of things are counter-intuitive until you understand them.

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I understand logic and how it works on the human level of perception, but apparently this stuff doesn’t obey those rules of logic.

• Viviane
    Viviane

I understand logic and how it works on the human level of perception, but apparently this stuff doesn’t obey those rules of logic.

Why do you have the expectation that they should?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I think the field is still just too new to fully understand what we're observing. For instance, the notion of observers collapsing the wave functions of objects in indeterminate states (like Schrodinger's cat) is not accepted in all branches of quantum theory. It could be that once we understand what is actually happening on a fundamental level, it will seem logical after all.

Then again, another point that I've heard brought out (I think by Lawrence Krauss) is that we simply can't expect that our minds will be suited to understand all aspects of the cosmos intuitively -- that is, what we define as logical is based on the workings of the natural world that our brains adapted to. We never had to deal with positional probability clouds when trying to hit a mammoth with a spear. Abstract things like higher math and computer programming, which are in principle actually quite simple and can be performed lightning-fast by computers, are very difficult for our brains to think about.

• Viviane
    Viviane

That's why science is awesome, there is always something to learn!

• Seraphim23
    Seraphim23

I don’t really have that expectation but if there are two kinds of logic it raises the question of if there is but one ultimate logic, or more than one inaccessible to human thought.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Seraphim, the observations at the micro...micro level tells us that indeed, particles can be in two places at once. That's logical. And mind-twisting. At the macro level where we live, objects never behave this way. So it seems absurd. That doesn't mean it's not logical, because observation has confirmed it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit