Took my son (5 yrs) shooting for his first time.

by dazed but not confused 206 Replies latest social relationships

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Now if you could only contribute to the discussion without implying the level of stupidity and turpitute associated with the 'A' word, through references to car bombs, drug cartels and the Taliban, you'd be home free.

TD ...

Point well taken.

I guess it's just a throw-back to my 45+ years spent in the TMS where we are taught to reach out to the hearts of the listeners.

Rub a Dub

• Giordano
    Giordano

In looking over your photographs I was concerned that there was no protection from other shooters and their children. That was a problem for me. It would only take a slight lapse in concentration by a child or even adult to inadvertently end the life of another person. Too much to lose and too little to gain. You have my permission to call me a wuss but I prefer an inside range that offers some protection from other shooters or a very private outside area.

I am sure your child had a good time and you watched over him carefully. No doubt it was a fun day. And that raises a second issue. Is shooting to be another fun thing for a child to do before they can totally appreciate the consequences of a shooting mistake? Guns are serious business. Mistakes are made even by trained adults. The problem with guns is that you can't call that bullet back.

In reading through this interested discussion, gun safety has been promoted by the enthusiasts.....but I also think that knowing when a child has the maturity to safely handle a gun should be the determining factor.

The following is a pretty balanced approach to the pro and con of children and gun safety.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-argue-teaching-young-kids-shoot-prevents-gun/story?id=22317419

• Viviane
    Viviane

And that raises a second issue. Is shooting to be another fun thing for a child to do before they can totally appreciate the consequences of a shooting mistake? Guns are serious business. Mistakes are made even by trained adults. The problem with guns is that you can't call that bullet back.

The same is true of fired. Should boy scouts not be allowed to build fires?

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

just got back from a walk near Lake Ontario sooooo nice to see the ice breaking up. It's been a hard winter.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

gio- where is the con in that article? that entire story was pro

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Should boy scouts not be allowed to build fires?

Good point.

I have to check if the gay boy scout issue has been resolved. I think the scouts can be gay but the leaders cannot be gay, or at least openly gay.

You may disagree, but I think boy scouts should be able to build fires whether they are gay or not ... but that's just my 2 cents.

Rub a Dub

• TD
    TD
    I guess it's just a throw-back to my 45+ years spent in the TMS where we are taught to reach out to the hearts of the listeners.

Forty-five+ years is a long time. You certainly have my sympathy on that. Unfortunately for many xJW's like yourself, that experience almost certainly would have included an immersion in the JW's dishonest approach to this very topic, like they took in the May 22, 1990 issue of Awake! for example. I would imagine that it would be hard for a believing JW to read that stuff and not take it to heart. (?)

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Unfortunately for many xJW's like yourself

TD ...

Just a point of reference, I am not an exJW. Still active and plan on staying that way.

I can just take a step back and view life and my situation as it is without anyone's blinders on.

Rub a Dub

• Viviane
    Viviane

You may disagree, but I think boy scouts should be able to build fires whether they are gay or not ... but that's just my 2 cents.

I think they should too.

But still, the point about actual ionized gas reactions is valid.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

But still, the point about actual ionized gas reactions is valid.

Viviane ...

Yes, I understand. But whether gay or straight, I would tend not to include the words "Boy Scouts" in the context with Mass Spectrometers.

But again, that's just my opinion.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit