Took my son (5 yrs) shooting for his first time.

by dazed but not confused 206 Replies latest social relationships

• Viviane
    Viviane

I won't ask you to think before you rant, Viviane, since you seem unequipped to the task.

Well, not at the 5 year old level it would require to talk to you, so thanks not asking me to dumb down.

Anyway, there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a 5 year old to the range and, with proper supervision, teaching them the begginings of firearms basics. Nor is there anything wrong with allowing them to help in the kitchen and teaching them stove and knife safety or teaching them the beginning basics and safetey of a bow and arrow.

The hyperbole associated with the screeds that assume someone is handing a 5-year old a gun and saying "Enjoy!" while chugging a beer and lighting Marlboro is, well, thinking at the level of a 5 year old.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

what do you mean by 'special feeling' ?

Rub a Dub

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

Well said Vivian

• TD
    TD

Hello ? Numb nuts and macho, delusional, cowboys -

News-flash you can not teach a 5 year old how to

"use a gun responsibly"

The colloquialism, "Numbnuts" is actually one word.

If responsibly means unsupervised, then I wholeheartedly agree with you.

A basic mistake a lot of parents who own firearms have made in the past though is (Perhaps inadvertently) creating the ultimate "Forbidden fruit."

Demystifying them works to counteract this and that is not just my own personal opinion. With young children, I don't necessarily have shooting a real firearm in mind here, but teaching basic safety precautions around firearms is certainly part of it.

Children actually take to this like a fish to water. There's few things that appeal more to the human mind than feeling morally superior to one's peers. Observe this thread.

• Viviane
    Viviane

A basic mistake a lot of parents who own firearms have made in the past though is (Perhaps inadvertently) creating the ultimate "Forbidden fruit."

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

We are members at an outdoor range that has skeet shooting, rifle ranges, pistol ranges, archery ranges and fishing. My kids know that we can go shooting anytime they like to fish, shoot or practice archery. They have had hunter safety classes, firearms safety training and, pretty much any day of the week go shooting if they like. Every time they go they are reminded of safety rules, have to practice them and have to clean the guns when they are done.

Guns are absolutely no mystery to them and there is no fascination with them whatsoever. They are both excellent shots, know safety inside and out and have never attempted to play with a gun unsupervised. There is no mystery there.

• Viviane
    Viviane

Thanks, Truthseeker.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The colloquialism, "Numbnuts" is actually one word.

TD ...

Good point.

When people here call me an "ass hole" I always make a point of letting them know that "ass hole" is properly spelled as one word "asshole" and not two.

If a person refers to someone in a pejorative way, at least it should be in the proper context and the spelling should be correct.

Thanks.

Rub a Dub

• Truthseeker677
    Truthseeker677

Viviane I have no interest in skeet shooting or belonging a club that does. To me when I pick up a rifle or shot gun or pistol its work.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Rednecks........Happiness is a warm gun____BOTR

Wow, such steroetype

Guess that makes me a ...... " Thug "

Happiness is harmless target practice instead of the use of deadly force

against another human being

• TD
    TD
    If a person refers to someone in a pejorative way, at least it should be in the proper context and the spelling should be correct.

Good for you, RubaDub.

Now if you could only contribute to the discussion without implying the level of stupidity and turpitute associated with the 'A' word, through references to car bombs, drug cartels and the Taliban, you'd be home free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit